1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A testament to Akismet

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by sketch, May 15, 2006.

I'm sure many WordPress users may already know about this, if not are already using it, but since no one seems to be writing about this I just wanted to share my experience with the spam filter Akismet.

Wow. Just... wow.

I originally thought my setup of requiring my approval for new commentors was enough to handle the amount of spam comments on my blogs, but soon it wasn't. So I decided to implement the Akismet plugin that comes with WP. At first it was decent, it'd catch a spam maybe once a week.

But tonight I checked on my spam filter and found a whopping TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN spam comments... almost 100 of which came in the last 3 days. And I had absolutely no hand in the filtering, Akismet did it all by itself.

Akismet rules. If you're using WordPress and not using Akismet, you're doing yourself a huge disservice :p

sketch, May 15, 2006 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  2. swaz

swaz Active Member

Best Answers:
    hehe I'm using Akismet too.And yep,it rocks.Before Akismet,I was using Spam Karma.

swaz, May 15, 2006 IP
  3. teamshop

teamshop Plainsman

Best Answers:
    I have to absoutely agree. Not one spam message has made it through Akismet on my blog since I activated it.

teamshop, May 15, 2006 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Spam does get through, and the spammers are getting cleverer. however because this is a community based tool it learns from the spam on other blogs as well as your own. Only a tiny % slip through and without Akismet, or one of the other tools, I probably would have either given up blogging or turned off comments by now. I'm proud that I have a clean blog, with no hoops to jump through if you want to comment.

sarahk, May 22, 2006 IP
  5. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ya, some spam does get through. It may be because my site's only been around for a few months or because it's not huge yet, but maybe once a month ONE spam comment gets thru, but because I have WordPress set to require approval for any new users, it never goes public :D

sketch, May 22, 2006 IP
  6. Catnabbit

Catnabbit Peon

Best Answers:
    I love Akismet. I have not had a single spam get through since installing it. I've had only one false positive.

Catnabbit, May 24, 2006 IP
  7. Riboflavin

Riboflavin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You said it!

One of my small blogs:

Riboflavin, May 24, 2006 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Spam will get through, I had about 70 yesterday alone, but normally it's one every couple of weeks. I gave up looking for false positives ages ago, I'm far too nice a girl to go reading through the email addresses and urls of the commenters - I shudder to think what was actually written!

sarahk, May 24, 2006 IP