1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal has cancelled me payments after products have been sent

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by xoxo, Sep 25, 2008.

Hello!

I can't believe what has happened...

Somebody make me four orders in my online store. I received money for all orders in my business verified paypal account.

So... I sent products.

After four days, my customer received products and PayPal cancelled payments because "the payments are fraudulent".

I have go to the Police and I have sent a reclamation to PayPal, for stealing my money.

Any suggestions about what can I do?

If only I could accept google checkout.... :(

Thank you!

xoxo, Sep 25, 2008 IP
    pubdomainshost.com likes this.
  2. pubdomainshost.com

pubdomainshost.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you raised a dispute with paypal? Since the goods have been shipped from your end - and you used paypal as a gateway, PP cannot wash their hands off in this fashion. I am sure they have to have a legal / moral obligation to save merchants from such instances.

good luck!

pubdomainshost.com, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    They have a bigger obligation to protect people who's credit card details have been stolen and used in a fraudalent way.

yfs1, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  4. pubdomainshost.com

pubdomainshost.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed, but should the merchant be penalized? When a payment is made for a product to the merchant, it no longer belongs to the payment processor, but kept for merchant to collect. What would PP do if the merchant withdraws the entire amount before they realize it was a fraudulent transaction?

I know CC owner has to be protected, but same logic would apply to the merchant too!!! Can PP recover the items that have already been shipped to buyer, and give it back to the merchant?

5. yfs1

Best Answers:
    In an ideal world yes but in reality its a risk of doing business. Paypal is a facilitator not a guaranter so unfortunately this means you take a hit once in a while.

If it was physical goods it was sent to an address so the police report can find the details required to take the fraudster to court.

Not 100% fair but thats the way business works.

yfs1, Sep 25, 2008 IP
    pubdomainshost.com likes this.
  6. xoxo

xoxo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for all your replies.

As a seller, I can't open a dispute. Disputes are for non received products, if somebody has steal your account, etc.

So I have send a reclamation.

PayPal has told me they contacted the customer and didn't answer. They don't have any evidence if they payment is fraudulent.

I'm a verified business customer since 2006. I can't believe this...

Aren't merchants protected by PayPal? Four days it's too late... if I receive a payment, I can't hold four days the order...

xoxo, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  7. -whynot-

-whynot- Banned

Best Answers:
    paypal protect peoples from GOoods,if they were goods email them and explain,actually you never should ship from different addresses(Shipping&billing)

-whynot-, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  8. pubdomainshost.com

pubdomainshost.com Peon

Best Answers:
    The scale is heavily tipped against sellers - once a while hit can really be too often, too frequent to force a seller to become buyer :confused:

Thanks for your inputs @ yfs1, this thread is really an eye-opener for all merchants - who need to be aware of issues with payment facilitators.

xoxo - time to take a merchant account and move on from PP to your own account.

Hope you get a (+)ve response to your reclamation request.

9. yfs1

Best Answers:
    And this is only one aspect. If you sell non-physical goods Paypal offers zero protection and you can get scammed really bad.

xoxo - What type of address did you send the goods to - Another country, a PO Box, etc ?

yfs1, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  10. c0ldMax

c0ldMax Banned

Best Answers:
    then PP would take the funds, put you into a negative balance and expect you to pay the difference.. That's what they did with me.

i am now $546 in debt

c0ldMax, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  11. GetSomeCashOnline

GetSomeCashOnline Banned

Best Answers:
    Perhaps use something like Western Union or Moneybookers as an alternative and design a custom button structure.

GetSomeCashOnline, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  12. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Western Union is far more risky!!! Plus you cut the number of potential customers to a fraction of what they were (Most people will not send Western Union for goods bought on a website).

The best alternative is something like Worldpay where they are processing credit cards direct for you. You still risk chargebacks of course (Even bricks and mortar shops face this).

yfs1, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  13. pubdomainshost.com

pubdomainshost.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Expected to pay - at least they can't take the money away from your bank! Much better to be in debt rather than lose your goods and your money too :cool:

14. pubdomainshost.com

pubdomainshost.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Would it help to have your own merchant account?

15. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I have still had chargebacks that I had to dispute. Since my products are lightweight and inexpensive, I don't pay for delivery tracking (It would eat up half the profit).

That means once in a while I get scammed but I keep money aside for that. It's rare but gets absorbed as a cost of business.

yfs1, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  16. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For any order above $500 you have to verify the order properly before shipping it. If they have used the funds from a credit card connected to paypal then probably it means chargeback and you can do nothing about it.

1. It is a good idea to call the buyer and ask them to confirm their credit card details.
    2. Get signed credit card authorization for any orders involving USD 500.-

olddocks, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  17. xoxo

xoxo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for all your answers and suggestions. I sent products in the same country, and delivered in a shop. So I suppose police will be able to know what happened.

@-whynot-: In this case, billing and shipping adresses where different, so next time, in these cases, I will hold the order 48 hours.

@olddocks: We are talking about $500 more or less... Your advice for future cases is really appreciated.

@yfs: Where can I get a merchant account for small business or a few transactions per month? I sell only a few orders. Months ago I asked for a quotation at WorldPay and it's extremely expensive for me...

@The dark knight: I have also a merchant account in moneybookers, but at this moment there is not available a magento extension yet.

Of course, I hope this experience will be useful for other DP members.

xoxo, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  18. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    usually that is a good indication of fraud. you should never ship to addresses where billing and shipping are different.

olddocks, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  19. xtreme fever

xtreme fever Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are sending via UPS, FedEx, DHL etc..., ship to a confirmed address. This is my number 1 rule when I sell on eBay. When a customer sends money via PayPal, it should tell you if they have a confirmed shipping address or not.

xtreme fever, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  20. xoxo

xoxo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for your comments... I have learned some useful tips. Thank you all!

xoxo, Sep 25, 2008 IP