1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bachelors/Masters Degree in Internet Marketing, SEO, SEM,

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by seoster, Sep 23, 2008.

seoster, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  2. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Did not find any accreditation by any of the six regional accreditation bodies listed in their web site. It is safer for you to check out. Regional accreditation is the minimum criteria if you want to enter a college/university.

wisdomtool, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  3. Vagabondette

Vagabondette Member

Best Answers:
    looks like a diploma mill to me.

Vagabondette, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  4. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    You've really got to wonder about crap like this, especially then their degrees in Internet Marketing are Bachelor of Science degrees - WTF? lol

Christian Little, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  5. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    Did not find much information, it is best to check the background of the university before you enter. Any of the universities accredited by the six regional accreditation bodies are safe for USA, for UK, a Royal Chartered universities would help, for other countries, it depends on their Education Ministries.

wisdomtool, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  6. drbones

drbones Peon

Best Answers:
    I would take any sort of SEO / Online marketing degree with a grain of salt. This industry changes daily and is way to volatile to have any sort of set in stone curriculum.

I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

drbones, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  7. Attracta

Attracta Active Member

Best Answers:
    Their site has an "accreditation" link at the bottom right. It says:

"Full Sail University is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT), and is licensed by the Commission for Independent Education (CIEICU), Florida Department of Education."

It seems to have at least "some" accreditation as a tech school. But I agree that IM moves way too fast for the courses to stay relevant.

Attracta, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  8. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    These accreditation they claimed does not fall under the 6 regional accreditation bodies. I would advised you to stick to you that is accredited.

wisdomtool, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  9. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    it would be nice if it is accredited, but even so if you spent 4 years of active studying just on this forum it would be more profitable for you. Unless you want to get a J.O.B with it " the most hated word in my vocabulary"

or unless you wanted to have a credible source for teaching others and starting your own school. I say it doesn't matter cause degrees really are only useful if you want a dreaded J.O.B

ErikJ, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  10. netcrawler

netcrawler Active Member

Best Answers:
    netcrawler, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  11. Attracta

Attracta Active Member

Best Answers:

That's true. Their instructors would be getting their info online just like the rest of us--might as well cut out the middle man and do it yourself.

Attracta, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  12. WebContentWriter

WebContentWriter Active Member

Best Answers:
    Full Sail University is actually accredited. I work in the higher education field and I know a thing or two about accreditation. As for SEO, Internet Marketing... new people in the field who created companies all over the world are old fashioned and need some sort of diploma to hire you (that's in case you want to work for an SEO firm, or at least take care of websites of huge corporations like DELL, HP and others). A degree in SEO would be great if it can convince these kind of people that you have some solid education.

I applied to millions of jobs at big multinationals, but since I don't have a degree in internet marketing. They were skeptic about hiring me.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: here's the link to check whether a university is accredited or not: http://chea.org

WebContentWriter, Sep 19, 2009 IP
  13. Tucks2

Tucks2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know that university of Phoenix has an Internet business degree of some sorts. I cannot remember what it is called exactly but, I do know that they have something along those lines. I also know that the wealthy affiliate university has accredited courses. I am planning on participating in at least one of these programs. I have been looking for a while and I'm starting to think that there just aren't enough professors with the Internet marketing experience needed to effectively teach these classes.

Tucks2, Sep 19, 2009 IP
  14. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well they been around since 2003 and have a pr3 ' 6000 links ' only.. shows they really know about link building!.
    plus they have an annoying video on their homepage.

i wouldn't trust them!

indyguidedotinfo, Sep 19, 2009 IP
  15. sandyoops

sandyoops Peon

Best Answers:
    Internet Marketing course? that sounds weird, I think you need to have experience,thats the one and only thing you need

sandyoops, Sep 20, 2009 IP
  16. Grapex

Grapex Peon

Best Answers:
    This day and age there is so much you could learn on your own.
    With the money you would spend to get this degree you could certainly pay for numerous courses or hire a mentor/tutor to teach everything you need to know and much more then you would by getting a degree.
    Everything I know about IM, SEO and SEM I learned on my own.
    Just my 2c

Grapex, Sep 21, 2009 IP
  17. JustBusiness

JustBusiness Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless you are pursuing a career that requires a degree in IM, I wouldn't bother with any FORMAL education. But if your're pursuing a career and that's a requirement then, you want to look at accredited institutions, preferably that are traditional brink and mortar instituitions. I personally think MOST online degree programs in general are a rip-off to say the least.

JustBusiness, Sep 21, 2009 IP
  18. Paul8368

Paul8368 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say if you haven't heard of them already don't use them. Go somewhere you know or to someone you know. There are plentyu of people out there teaching SEO. There's no piece of paper out there at the end of it but I prefer the cash any day. I've been away from the forum a while as I've been doing three myself sequentially and boy is it an eye opener.

Paul

Paul8368, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  19. KRA-12

KRA-12 Peon

Best Answers:
    ErikJ and webcontentwriter are both right.

Fullsail is accredited. They are primarily an entertainment and technological aspects of movie & music, Graphic design, web design ect...
    I was thinking of doing the program myself. Spoke with 2 different recruiters/staff at Fullsail and got some brochures and browsed the website. You should do the same.
    My conclusion: Im with EriKJ, it seem like a path to a J.O.B. to me.

On the other hand if your career goals are to work with the multinationals (that WebcontentWriter mentioned) and the large SEO and SEM firms then you will likely need some formal education..

Hope this helps

PS. I decided it wasnt for me. Plus, FUllsail is pretty expensive.

KRA-12, Sep 23, 2009 IP