1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Switching dedicated servers with NO DOWNTIME?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by x0x, Sep 22, 2008.

I am going to switch to a more powerful dedicated server. I have custom nameservers and my domain center is godaddy.

Any special tips?

1. When I update DNS will there be a point where the users will not be able to access NEITHER of the servers?

2. Only one database should be accessed. So I'm guessing I could make a connection between 2 servers and have the new server connect to the old DB until the DNS have updated. Anyone knows how that can be done?

Both servers are up and running already. I just want to make a silent switch and not disturb the users.

x0x, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  2. jayshah

jayshah Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Nope. As long as it's done correctly, your users will see either the old or new until the TTL on the old expires. Then, only the new will be seen

2. Allow the old server IP to connect to your new database, then in the old server's script, change the connection from localhost to your new server IP.

Jay

jayshah, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Active Member

Best Answers:
    When doing something like this, there's a little bit of a procedure I like to follow. It's painless, and it works to prevent problems.

• Transfer the web files (php, etc)
    • Shutdown the website (temporarily) to dump SQL from server A to server B
    • Make sure that server A (old server) can access the db on server B
    • Edit site configuration, pointing the 'localhost' in server A (old server) to ip address of server B , for mysql
    • Turn site back on
    • Make sure site works on server B (usually, calling the IP directly works)
    • Change DNS on server A (old server)
    • Copy DNS records from server A to server B
    • Restart DNS on both servers
    • Change entries @ your registrar (glue)

This may look like a lot, but it's really not, and it's the best way to ensure minimal downtime (if any at all) on your website.

twhiting9275, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  4. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you both.

To twhiting9275:

About this part:
    I don't understand the deal with DNS very well.

Let's say ns1.site.com & ns2.site.com are my current primary nameservers for my main domain. I purchased server B and and while I did it, I used the same nameservers as my primary nameservers.
    Now what I have to do is not change the domain's nameservers, but go to the section where I can create new nameservers: "Set Host and IP Addresses" (I use godaddy).
    What I have there are the same nameservers and my old server IPs. I will just have to change the IPs to the new server's IPs?

About these
    I have no idea what those mean...Why do I have to change anything on the old server? And how would the coping and restarting work? I always had my hosting company handle the DNS from the server's site and every single time I have gone or told them to go through the process I've had problems...

I appreciate the help!

x0x, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  5. imagize

imagize Peon

Best Answers:
    You can also change the TTL on your domain/nameservers to a small amount a few days before moving hosts, so the new location is picked up quicker. Cpanel/WHM for example defaults TTL to 86400 (one day).

imagize, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  6. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have no idea what TTL is.
    Anyone can help me with the DNS stuff?

x0x, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  7. jayshah

jayshah Peon

Best Answers:
    jayshah, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  8. x0x