1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How and why did you start writing?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by mspennylane, Sep 6, 2008.

1. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much for all of the replies. It really is great to hear other people's stories, and check out your websites too.

latoya - I watch Sex and the City and always remember that episode too. Definitely something to aspire towards!

And it is great to see everyone's passion for writing. There are so many different types, I really want to start writing fiction (just for myself) since it's something I haven't really done since I was at school.

jhmattern - I'm glad your degree worked out and still allowed you to write about the subjects you love. My degree is one of those seemingly useless ones in philosophy and history, that is great for knowledge and learning but not so much for a job. Hopefully I will use what I have learned in some of my writing, though.

Anyway thanks for all of you replies, love reading them.

mspennylane, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  2. ShaukatSDGuide

ShaukatSDGuide Guest

Best Answers:
    I started writing accidentally. Long long time ago, I managed to get a job at a call center. But, just days before joining, I got ear infection. They asked me if I would like to write long copy for their websites instead of taking calls :D. I said Yes, even though I had no clue what long copy was. Well, they taught me how to write long copy, blog posts and articles. What actually motivated me was the response they received from my content. Their profits exploded [I mean they are filthy rich now] and I realized I should have started writing many many many years ago.

Well, that's my story.

ShaukatSDGuide, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  3. ghostwriter4you

ghostwriter4you Guest

Best Answers:
    I started writing to tell people about the various alternative health solutions I have found out about though my experience, such as acupuncture, nutrition, etc.

Then when I learned that I could promote my web site with articles I started doing that too by submitting to article directories.

Lambert

ghostwriter4you, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  4. neena123

neena123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I started writing because I have an opinion about everything and love to share it with others. I also love interacting with people and writing has given me a platform where I have had a chance to meet and talk to an eclectic mix of people from all over the world. Penny, initially I too picked up low paying gigs but believe me I haven't ever regretted it, all my clients have been really nice guys and I have grown both personally and professionally working for them. Now of course I charge much more but once in a while if the topic interests me, I still do a low paying job for my own satisfaction. I always believe that writing should be fun and not a chore:)

neena123, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  5. zephyrwriting

zephyrwriting Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After completing my degree in Mathematics, I found myself in a quandary. Truth be told I'd never really liked maths, and the prospect of being stuck in a job where I was staring at numbers all year long was not something that I was looking forward to.

Meanwhile, writing had always been that 'nice little hobby' that I'd venture into from time to time, and after having slowly tried my hand at freelancing here and there, well, here I am. :)

-Vish (Zephyr Writing).

zephyrwriting, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  6. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    I was writing and drawing as early as I could get pen to paper. I don't remember not writing.

webgal, Sep 15, 2008 IP
  7. outspan

outspan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I started writing science fiction short stories, then moved on to organize a literary contest, then educational articles on scientific topics (all this in Italian), then started writing articles on Helium.com, Hubpages, Associated Content, then Suite101 (which really helped a lot), a few article marketplaces, and meanwhile I got noticed by quite a few webmasters and I'm working for them on a regular basis.

Right now I'm working out the details of the contract to write on a couple sites that I've wanted to write on for a long time :), writing an ebook on Web writing -- I'll give away a few review copies here -- and offering a one-to-one Web writing tutoring service on Skype Prime -- has anyone here tried Skype Prime? It's kinda cool :)

outspan, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  8. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I started writing when I realized that it was something I could do better than most of the people around me. Hehe. It began when I was in high school then I later decided that it was what I wanted to do for a living.

cd928, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  9. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    Believe it or not, I was one of those people who laughed off everyone who said "you need to be a writer" as I was growing up. I went to school for Theater and then worked in radio for a while, but when it came down to it, writing has always been one of my favorite things to do. I started my own blog more than four and a half years ago and when it came time to leave my last "day" job, I decided that instead of pursuing another crappy desk job that sucked out my soul, I would try my hand at freelancing. I've always been the person who loved research and writing papers, so web writing has been a way for me to channel that love into earning a living. When I first started out I was doing tons of paid posting on my own blog (which I refuse to do now) and then I spent a few months working for a ridiculously low rate for a couple of steady clients.

Obviously I charge more for my writing and editing services now, but I wouldn't trade those few months of low rate work for anything. Those months taught me how to research and write effectively, meet deadlines more efficiently and, most importantly, how to leave my ego "at the door."

Eventually I hope to be able to turn my personal blog into something more profitable (Jennifer Lancaster and Heather Armstrong are my inspirations for this), but for now, web writing pays my bills and keeps me perfectly happy. :)

snarke, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  10. jasonpeck1982

jasonpeck1982 Peon

Best Answers:
    I started out in writing because I wanted to be the next Hemmingway. So I became a journalist, because that kept me writing on a constant basis. It did me a lot more good than joining some fool creative writing program, and it paid.

But stick with forums like this. I eventually got laid off from my newspaper job. If I had kept a lot of pokers in different fires, I'd have been in a better place than I was when I let go.

I'm still hoping to get more creative, but I'm trying to write for everything I can. I'd recommend you do the same.

jasonpeck1982, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  11. susant

susant Peon

Best Answers:
    I was inspired by writing from a very early age as my dad was journalist. However, it was in the college days when I began being serious about writing and then I wanted to enter the profession of content writing to earn my living. After about a couple of years, I came to know about SEO content writing and I have been in this profession ever since.

susant, Sep 23, 2008 IP
  12. peeter

peeter Peon

Best Answers:
    I strated writing article because I want to share my idea for many people about financial tips and meet other writer in the world of cyber!!!
    I love writing :D

peeter, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  13. Retticus

Retticus Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have been writing every since I could pick up a pen. I didn't try to write professionally until much later. I wrote my first novella called "The First Ones" on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0158OMHTE, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefirstonesageless
    Now I can't stop. I am looking for some books to read--sci fi of course.

Retticus, Aug 5, 2016 IP
  14. kilbo909

kilbo909 Peon

Best Answers:
    tried to catch some money.. lol

kilbo909, Aug 5, 2016 IP
  15. farabihusni

farabihusni Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I do the writing because it's one of the most effective way to improve your influence
    The biggest reason I write is to give value to the others. and yes, if you have a good quality content , money will come to you

best regard
    F.H.

farabihusni, Aug 23, 2016 IP
  16. Bajosh Thewebwriter

Bajosh Thewebwriter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I started writing since before I start my studies as a mass communication student in Unijos, I so much love and enjoy writing.
    Thus, writing differs. It can be professional writing or life diary records (personal write ups that need no client) etc.
    Why I started my professional writing, is because of the love and pleasure I derive from literature and persuasive writing which magnet prospects to take swift action.
    For one to be a professional writer, that oneself must acquire good command of education. Education is very crucial, no matter the line of writing you chose. With that knowledge, you will learn the tactics and styles needed by that writing you venture into.
    After acquiring your immense know-how education, you will enjoy being a professional freelance due to the freedom which hinges on it. In freelancing, you are your own boss, you decides the price, you write in your own pace and determine the kind of jobs take or decline.
    Thus, you are welcome to the world of writers.

Bajosh Thewebwriter, Aug 31, 2016 IP