1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Don't Fall For Fake PR Domains

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by wussadotcom, Sep 20, 2008.

Hi, here on DP this fraud scam of selling fake PR domains are reducing because many more members are using Fake PageRank Checker however if you are on other general sites example like Ebay where this is nobody to warn you be aware of what tools they use to verify the PR.
    Normal PR checkers like PRchecker.info only checks the PR but if valid PR you will need to use Fake PR checker.
    Using tools Check Page Rank (CPR) and DomainPageRank (DPR) helps you to verify the PR and retrieve a good list of the domain details.
    Example like this CPR result for Yahoo.com list down also age and backlinks.
    Good backlinks and age atleast more than 3 month is also an indication of a true PR domain. Dropped domains with PR will most probably drop their PR if you don't have good backlinks.If you are not a good backlink builder and cannot maintain good backlinks then it would be better if you would stay away from dropped domains until you can learn how to do so:D
    Cheerio

wussadotcom, Sep 20, 2008 IP
    bangalore and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    I first got burned on a fake pr domain when I started to get in this game. I bought 2 fake pr domains off ebay; luckily, I wisened up quickly and learned about fake pr before I paid for the second, much more expensive fake pr domain.

EBAY/PAYPAL WILL NOT PROTECT YOU! You have to protect yourself. Use a fake pr checker like wussa suggests, or use info:example.com in google...if a domain comes up that is not the domain you are checking, then it is fake.

For example, this domain is currently fake...type in info:wikiclass.net into google. The site teachade.com comes up instead of wikiclass.net. That means wikiclass.net has a fake pr.

Note that a domain can 'lose' it's fake pr if it's no longer being redirected to another domain. I've also had a redirected domain with fake pr, that after no longer being redirected, gain real, genuine PR...but the info command still brings up the old domain it was being pointed to. It took awhile for google to stop thinking it was being pointed to the other domain (even though it gained real PR).

As wussa also points out, a genuine pr domain can lose it's pr if the pr backlinks it used to have are lost. Just because a domain is sold sans site, doesn't mean it will lose PR; you just have to check to see if it has live links still pointing to it that have pr. I've had a PR5 domain that I've bought go up to PR6 after the first pr update after I bought it, even without any linkbuilding. I've also had PR6 domains get slapped down to a PR3 after I bought it and put a site up on it that had nothing to do with the original site topic/genre, even though it still had high pr links pointing to it.

A fake PR domain isn't necessarily worthless, but learn about pr/fake pr and backlinks before you start out.

Artifexus, Sep 24, 2008 IP
    wussadotcom and mozzeratti like this.
  3. wussadotcom

wussadotcom Banned

Best Answers:
    Good Follow up.
    In WM forums some other more experienced WM can always look out for you but sites at Ebay is easy to scam people.Lets take an experiment walk.
    Example this ebay thread
    The PR selling is obviously fake. See result
    Its forged and redirected from another domain plus its just a few days old(19 days to be exact).
    Thats probably why no one is bidding.
    This Ebay Thread is an example of a dropped domain. Also the buyers use a CPR and its also aged 3 years but this is taken from Godaddy market(Tdname most probably) See the result
    There is just a few backlinks and will most probably drop at next update.
    I don't say little backlinks cannot support a sites PR because I have a few cases where my domain gain PR 2,3 without any backlinks and stayed for more than a year valid but that is rare.

wussadotcom, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  4. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    Right, I've seen a PR5 with just one PR6 backlink, and I've had a PR6 with just a handful of backlinks, but 1 PR7 backlink gave the domain it's PR6. OTOH, domains will have 100's or 1000's of backlinks and 'low' PR.

Artifexus, Sep 24, 2008 IP
  5. ascii0101

ascii0101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info. Yea I see a lot of domains where the seller claims high PRs. Lucky I was able to use tools like DomainPageRank dot com to verify this. I know there are many other tools out there but that seems to work best for me. You can always cross reference with Alexa and DNScoop to see if what the seller is saying is true (High PR should have so sort of activity). Its funny how I used DOMAINPAGERANK about a month ago was up for sale twice on eBay. I guess they finally got their asking price.

ascii0101, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  6. swishman

swishman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thnx for the info man

swishman, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  7. BBowers

BBowers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for posting this info! It's important to know how to check for fake PR

BBowers, Sep 25, 2008 IP
  8. mozzeratti

mozzeratti Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find domainpagerank to be wrong about fake PR now and then...sometimes rather frequently.
    Always check with at least 2-3 sources.
    Here are some:
    rankchecker.com
    checkpagerank.net
    digpagerank.com
    Also, the google toolbar

Always do a direct Google info search as artifexus mentioned.
    (info:TheNameInQuestion.com)
    Those are just some among the checks you can do to ensure that the domain PR is
    genuine.

Also try to keep up with Google updates so as to have the most current info on a domains PR.

mozzeratti, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  9. wussadotcom

wussadotcom Banned

Best Answers:
    I like the digpagerank but Google toolbar does not shows if its fake or now~~

wussadotcom, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  10. tinimini

tinimini Peon

Best Answers:
    I alwyas use SEOQuake, or google toolbar.
    but thats strange that google toolbar even doesnt shows that its a fake PR?
    Thats really strange for me.

tinimini, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  11. wussadotcom

wussadotcom Banned

Best Answers:
    yes, they are still normal tools.;)
    In the early days, many people was scammed with the fake PR scams because they used Google toolbar.
    Next time use
    Fake PR Checker
    :D

wussadotcom, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  12. abercrombie

abercrombie Peon

Best Answers:
    i just use the google toolbar and also search status add-on. good post and warning though.

abercrombie, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  13. mozzeratti

mozzeratti Active Member

Best Answers:
    Kindly explain what you mean by "search status add-on"

mozzeratti, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  14. mozzeratti

mozzeratti Active Member

Best Answers:
    True. I wish they would.
    It is still a good tool for initial PR check...then you confirm by
    using a second tool, doing an info search etc...

mozzeratti, Sep 29, 2008 IP
  15. ascii0101

ascii0101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea eBay is famous for those fake PRs as well as sitepoint's market place. It makes me laugh when I see sellers claiming high PRs and they even have screenshot images of their so-called payouts. I used to use DomainPageRank but now I use other tools found over the web to verify whether or not the site's claim is true. From my experience the domains that I have researched had fake PRs, etc. Only a few had true claims and was noted by the asking price $$$. I liked using DPR but due to seeing their site on eBay (two times) several months ago I would rather use another tool that is reliable. Anyways, there are many PR checkers out there and it is good to cross-check before lumping up the cash for these claims that could be fake.

ascii0101, Sep 30, 2008 IP
    mozzeratti likes this.
  16. mozzeratti

mozzeratti Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, the site did change hands twice this year...it was actually listed at least
    three times. One time the reserve was not met.

I'm not sure if this plays any role in all the false reads on that site...but
    there have been quite a few instances when the site gave false positives
    on blatantly faked PR names.

mozzeratti, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  17. wussadotcom

wussadotcom Banned

Best Answers:
    They had some problem a bit which is natural for a CPR site. Now its ok. I am sure the owner (which is here on DP:D or even closer in this thread) have already solved that. You can also try other tools. Check out Check Page Rank too if you have time:)Cheers..

wussadotcom, Sep 30, 2008 IP