1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help on the_except() wordpress

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by gary1974, Sep 20, 2008.

i have a blog with auto post article. we know that articles (500-1000 words) are very long and link are on the resource box.

What i want is to display 200 words only on the homepage then after the 200 words displayed, there is "continue reading...". I know i can do this on except but the problem is, no live links and images. Any idea?

gary1974, Sep 20, 2008 IP
  2. DeanKennedy

DeanKennedy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you can do it the way you say ... splitting an article using the "more" tag.

However, I do it slightly differently -- I write both an article and a separate excerpt (note it is excerpt, not except with an "r" in it).

Then, I just display the full excerpt on my home page ... using
    <?php the_excerpt();?>
    Code (markup):
    within my loop (which also has formatting for the post permalink, date etc -- lots of stuff on loops within the Wordpress Codex.

I also use the C6 Excerpts plugin to turn off automatic paragraph generation within the Excerpt (which wrecks the formatting of the excerpt when displayed on my home page).

This is just text excerpts -- I haven't tried including links/html within the excerpt that I create though.

DeanKennedy, Sep 20, 2008 IP
    gary1974 likes this.
  3. gary1974

gary1974 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the informative response. I will get back. Im testing the plugin.

Rep Added.

Thanks
    gary

gary1974, Sep 20, 2008 IP