1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to do with $300

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Kaabi, Sep 18, 2008.

I have $300 that I need to spend to optimize my site. What would be the best use of that money? I thought it would be buying links from paid directories, but that method is getting a lot of negative review. So what do you think would be the best thing to do?

Kaabi, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  2. Ant_Onaf

Ant_Onaf Peon

Best Answers:
    Save it! Because $300 is not going to get you far. Focus on on-page optimization and link building, which none cost any money if you put the effort in yourself. If you want to spend money then spending money one-time isn't worth the investment...you will need an ongoing budget (weekly, monthly, etc.) to get the best bang for your buck.

Good luck!

Ant_Onaf, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  3. seojig

seojig Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Buying links from directory is totally waste of your money, you can hire SEO for onsite optimization and purchase some quality blog post from relevant site.
    PM me your website URL with other details if you need any help

seojig, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  4. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree...don't spend it on directory listings. Spend it on a freelance employee to write you articles or get you links some other way. Try elance.com or rentacoder.com...both great sites to outsource work cheaply.

vansterdam, Sep 18, 2008 IP
    toby likes this.
  5. SEOSpeakS

SEOSpeakS Banned

Best Answers:
    check your PM...

SEOSpeakS, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  6. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I still don't understand why paid directories would not be effective. If I get links from PR5 and PR6 directories, that should logically help me out. And last time I did it, I did see some results.

Kaabi, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  7. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    Spend the $300 on in-content links in sites related to your niche.

Vic_mackey, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  8. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well now I'm venturing in to purchasing links from blogs, so that should probably be more effective.

Kaabi, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  9. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    If you are in a relatively large niche, you should offer a very low price per link. $300 is nothing when spending on links, if you are in a large niche you will easily be able to spend it all (and get more links) offering next to nothing - enough people will take it. You'll just need to contact enough people!

Vic_mackey, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  10. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm in a somewhat small niche, and it's hard to find relevant websites. I might just need to expand.

Kaabi, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  11. topsurveysites

topsurveysites Active Member

Best Answers:
    Let me clarify this for you; just because the homepage of a directory has a PageRank of say 7, the page where you get your link nearly always has less than this. (although it is some use, its better to get a link on a Page itself that has PageRank).

Take for example BOTW:
    http://botw.org/
    The homepage has a PR of 6.

But when you pay your $70 to get included in the directory, you're going to get a link on a page like this:
    http://blogs.botw.org/Business/Marketing_and_Advertising/Internet_Marketing/Affiliate_Marketing/
    Which often has No PageRank.

So when submitting to a paid directory search through the URL you site will be placed on and make sure it has a high internal PagRank, otherwise its really not worthwhile.
    (that's not to say its no use at all, it just a common misconception with link building)

Instead I recommend you try some other SEO methods; article submission, on-page SEO, Do-follow commets, buying links etc

Cheers

topsurveysites, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  12. Treyu

Treyu Peon

Best Answers:
    Invest it on a new site. Your revenue could duplicate in time :D

Treyu, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  13. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems many people don't agree to spend money on directory list.
    Maybe directory list is suitable for long term site, not for short and mid term sites.

According to my experience, directory do bring PRs, some ranking.

justinlorder, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  14. mmuise

mmuise Peon

Best Answers:
    Pay someone to write some targeted articles for you. Make sure you research keywords, and use several in each article. Submit the articles to directories.

mmuise, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  15. knmurthy

knmurthy Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont waste that money. try to get back links by organic methods.

knmurthy, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  16. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    Try to get diversified links like from article directories and various other sites. But make sure, you are targeting keywords in your pages. Getting a backlink to a page named "kyeowrd 1" is going to help but to a page with <some random phrase> won't. Just an example, but I think you have got the idea....

poseidon, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  17. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Believe me, I have been search engine optimizing for awhile, I do know a lot. The thing about article submission, blog commenting, on-page optimization, is that I do it all myself. I don't need money for that. Therefore, I have to find something to pay for, and paid directory submissions is one of the few things I can think of, in addition to buying links on sites related to my niche and such. I won this money, and I am kind of required to spend it on my business. If this was my own money, I wouldn't just be blowing it like this. Last time, I got my site ranked well spending much less than $300, but now I have the money, so I'm just trying to use it as efficiently as possible.

Kaabi, Sep 19, 2008 IP
  18. ssukhdeep

ssukhdeep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Buying links from directory is totally waste of your money.. is this right..? if yes then from where we can get the links...?

ssukhdeep, Sep 19, 2008 IP
  19. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can get links for free from article submission, forum posting, blog commenting, social bookmarking, free directory submissions, and link baiting. However, I need to spend money, and I feel the best way to do so would be on paid directories, since they have high PR and are relatively exclusive.

Kaabi, Sep 19, 2008 IP
  20. LucianoFigallo

LucianoFigallo Peon

Best Answers:
    Get links from sites similar but not competing with yours (ideal, in context links maybe avoiding the use of banners)...better if those sites have the highest traffic possible, this way you get backlinks and traffic.

LucianoFigallo, Sep 19, 2008 IP