1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google ignoring description/keyword meta tags for WordPress blog

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jstanley, Sep 17, 2008.

If I do a Google search for the site I'm talking about, all of the posts have the same description-somewhat; they all show the content from the beginning of the site, which is a list of latest posts. I have the description and keyword meta tags set to be the title of the post. If I do a source/view, I can see the tags working. Does Google not read the description or keyword meta tags? How can I fix this problem? Finally, will I be penalized for duplicate content? Before I put the latest posts on the site, there were about 300 posts indexed. Now, there are less than 100-within a day. I don't know if I was penalized for duplicate content.

jstanley, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  2. seojig

seojig Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    its not like that, google is considering title and description tag but as u said all your pages having same meta tags google is not considering that.
    try to give unique meta tags for all your post, if you are having customized wordpress blog than use plugins for that. let me know if you need any help.

seojig, Sep 17, 2008 IP
    jg_abad likes this.
  3. mexicolarry

mexicolarry Peon

Best Answers:
    I echo SeoJig, try to generate unique meta tags for each of your posts. Google clearly recommends against having the same meta tags for different pages.

mexicolarry, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  4. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    From what I'm reading, jstanley does use unique text for each page's meta description. He uses the post title. Google probably doesn't just want to repeat the post title as the description that they show in the search results. It wouldn't make their search results look very good. If possible you should set the meta description of each page to either be the first paragraph of text in the post, or better yet, an actual description of the post.

You have not received a duplicate content penalty. Most likely your other 200 pages got pushed down to the supplemental index due to low PR. Work at getting more backlinks and those pages should move back up to the main index.

If you're worried about any kind of indexing issue, it often helps to upload a sitemap to Google's webmaster tools.

vansterdam, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  5. jstanley

jstanley Peon

Best Answers:
    vansterdam, you're correct. Each blog post's description meta tag is the post's title. Unfortunately, WordPress has no built-in way of getting anymore of the post info (tags, excerpt, etc). I will work on that, though.

So, are you saying that because I have set the meta tag to be the title, Google is purposely ignoring it?

seojig, do you know of any WordPress plugin that will create unique description tags for each post? Thanks.

6. jstanley

jstanley Peon

Best Answers:
    I just checked Google and it's weird, because I've only updated the blog twice within the past 15 hours, and yet posts in the first batch have the custom description in Google and some from that same batch do not (the same goes for the second batch of posts).

7. jg_abad

jg_abad Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Check this, you will find many plugins for wordpress blog
    wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

for SEO purpose you can use All in One SEO Pack plugins

regards

jg_abad, Sep 17, 2008 IP