1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I maintain image aspect ratio when resizing photos?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Magawr, Sep 16, 2008.

Dear DP Members

Slight problem here and I'm wondering if any of you can proffer a remedy, a solution?

A client has contacted me to source on his companies behalf close to 400 images - unfortunately, many of these images are all different sizes.

He wants them back in two different pixel dimensions: 200x150 and 131x97

So far many of the images appear 'scrunched up' and are therefore out of shape, in other words the aspect ratio is completely askew.

Is there a solution to this please that you know of?

He is adamant that all the images must be in these two sizes noted above and will not budge on this at all. The images must also display absolutely correctly.

Unless I'm missing something very obvious, I cannot see how this can be achieved, perhaps one or two of you would be so kind to put forward your views on this matter?

Imagine a custom chopper for example with very long extending forks on the front, in the original image, this displays of course just fine, but the second one resizes it to 200 pixels by 150 pixels, it looks more like it's been put through a crusher than anything else!

Any ideas please?

Many thanks!

Mark

Magawr, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  2. imnocost

imnocost Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use a site called Picnik (www.picnik.com) that is really easy to use. It's free to sign up and use but it'll probably take awhile to do a that many images as you can only edit one image at a time. Once you get the hang of how to do it, it takes about 10-15 seconds per image.

If you decide to use it, here's a brief tutorial: register for a free account, sign in, click "photo" tab, choose source to get pictures (if from computer, click upload photos - you can upload more than 1 image at a time), once images are upload, click image to select, click "edit" tab, click resize, choose size dimensions (make sure "keep proportions" is checked), click ok, click "save & share" tab, choose name for image, click save (to where you want to save image, DONE!

Do this a few times and you will fly through them. But for 400 images, it's gonna take awhile.

Hope this helps.
    Mike

imnocost, Sep 16, 2008 IP
    Magawr likes this.
  3. Magawr

Magawr Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Mike, I'll check it out, many thanks for your time in replying - much appreciated.

Magawr, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  4. Magawr

Magawr Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, it doesn't allow me to set the exact pixel dimensions that I require for each image.

I need every image to be exactly 200 pixels by 150 pixels and also 131 x 97 pixels whilst also giving me the full aspect ratio.

I know others have searched for this solution online, but no-one to date seems to know of a program that can do this.

Does anyone else here know of one please? (preferably one that can batch process all the close to 400 images in one go) - This is really doing my nut in, it's almost 5am here now and getting extremely frustrated and very tired.

If you can help, please do reply below!

Thank you!

Mark

Magawr, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  5. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    There's only one way to do this.

Crop the image the best you can then reduce the image by decreasing the largest dimension to suit the dimension you are aiming for.

For example: If you had an image 600 x 450 you could simply scale it down. But. If you had an image 1000 x 450, you would have to scale it down to 200 x 90 so it does not go outside your maximum width/height.

I know a developer that can create a tool to crop and resize images by way of a web application. I have used it before and it worked perfectly.

If you want his contact details send me a PM.

Col

Cheap SEO Services, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  6. cipals15

cipals15 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... Picnik is good for image resizing.. But you can try imageshack.. :D

cipals15, Sep 16, 2008 IP
    Magawr likes this.
  7. Magawr

Magawr Peon

Best Answers:
    Blimey Col! Careful, steady on mate! T'was only a few months ago you said you wouldn't sell me link services or something similar if I was the last man on earth, and here you are now, helping me out - that's jolly decent of you. I must say, this turn around in your attitude is a real pleasure to see.

Well done! I knew you had it in you! Praise the Lord! :D

Cheers me olde chum! :):D

Magawr, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  8. ammoun

ammoun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Let's me understand it better... let's say you have a photo 500x347, do u want it to become 200x150 or 131x97 without loosing aspect ratio?

hmmm that's impossible dude :( you have to sacrifice either the quality or some pixels ;)

ammoun, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  9. !Unreal

!Unreal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In photoshop hold shift when resizing the image manually.

!Unreal, Sep 17, 2008 IP