1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Shall I start a domain business?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by webguy84, Sep 16, 2008.

Hi guys,
    I would like to discuss with all of you if it is worth it starting up a domain business. By domain business i mean buying domains and reselling them. Is it still possible to make a living out of them? and if yes could you please pass on some tips? Thx :)

webguy84, Sep 16, 2008 IP
    mozzeratti likes this.
  2. javaongsan

javaongsan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, its a good business model on theory.

javaongsan, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  3. Digital_Designer

Digital_Designer Banned

Best Answers:
    Before buying domain names, first learn some basics. Finding the right names is key in this business.

Digital_Designer, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  4. tinimini

tinimini Peon

Best Answers:
    Damm!! Buying Domain isnt that easy, cause all the premium one have gone long time ago.
    Now a days, people buy a Creative domain name, then they start developing their business on it.
    and i think its really tough to get into domain name business

tinimini, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  5. adiboy

adiboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a budget, get those LLL or CVCV .coms and develop them.

adiboy, Sep 16, 2008 IP
    mozzeratti likes this.
  6. evil

evil Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Buying domains for business is possible, owever is not easy, not quick return and you have to study and to try.
    Good Luck

evil, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  7. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    Just make sure that there is demand for the domain names you are going to buy ;)

~ServerPoint~, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  8. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    An amazing amount of them expire all the time though (Although they are picked up in seconds)

yfs1, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  9. Twoism

Twoism Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is never too late. With the bad economy right now cheap domains are for sale many places. But I would never start buying domains from scratch, you need to buy the right ones in order to sell them for a profit. I think domain names are a good investment, but the short time profits require skills. Learn everything you can from diffrent domain forums like this one before starting a domain business. You could also focus on earning money on your domains instead of selling them. Develop, create content and monetize the traffic that is a model you could start off with right away.

Twoism, Sep 16, 2008 IP
    mozzeratti likes this.
  10. NoxServices

NoxServices Banned

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Here is an advice from an experienced person in this field.I used to do this business ahh i still do but i reduced it as i use to be busy with other work.Here is what i use to do this may help many other guys here to earn some money online this may be basic but still some people dont know.

There are some small forums where people sell domains and sites at very low price as they dont get much buyers buy from them and relist at Sitepoint the same domain will be sold the double price you bought.

Beaware of scammers.

Buy expired doamins.There are sites which lists the expired doamins you must be carefull here register only good domains not the long domains try to go for .info domains.I used to buy .info domains at 0.99$ from Godaddy and sold at 10$ each buy .info mostly as .com will cost you 8-9$ for one domain and it may be sold or not but if you buy 10 .info domains it will cost you 10$ and atleast 3-4 will get sold easily so you will make 30-40$ of investment 10$

I hope this helps you.

Expired domain name trick will be for earning small amount and investing small amount you can grab around 20$ from the expired domains ;)

NoxServices, Sep 16, 2008 IP
    mozzeratti likes this.
  11. SiberForum

SiberForum Banned

Best Answers:
    You are won't be domain name registrar, you will be reseller of the domain names. And they are 2 different things, because with domain name registration service you can have automated process of registration. In your case you will need constantly take care of that. That might take all your time without any profit... IMO

SiberForum, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  12. carfinance

carfinance Peon

Best Answers:
    You are won't be domain name registrar, you will be reseller of the domain names. And they are 2 different things, because with domain name registration service you can have automated process of registration. In your case you will need constantly take care of that. That might take all your time without any profit... IMO

carfinance, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  13. mozzeratti

mozzeratti Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is possible to make a living as evidenced by those who already are.
    As with any other business, some research and a good business plan/strategy
    would be the strong way to start.

Study market trends before you decide what to invest in. Pay attention to the vulnerabilities.
    The market is currently in a bit of a slump, which some believe is merely due to the time of year
    and will quickly pass.
    Others attribute it to things such as the overall declining economy in the US, market correction
    in the domain industry - and other more long term issues.

mozzeratti, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  14. bobbylove321

bobbylove321 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a good business. It is VERY saturated, and I recommend you focus on something else. This type of business will be very slow and you have to find the "perfect" domains.

bobbylove321, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  15. toxic1985

toxic1985 Active Member

Best Answers:
    first find few friends who also wnt to start their website. so u can sell them somes.

toxic1985, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  16. mozzeratti

mozzeratti Active Member

Best Answers:
    In a way I do agree that the industry is somewhat saturated.
    However, that is where the research pays off...there are still areas of the
    domain industry that you can break into and with a sound strategy, you
    can thrive.
    Find a specific area of the market or two and focus.

mozzeratti, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  17. Prophiterol

Prophiterol Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the domain business is currently oversaturated. Developing domains to sell may be the most profitable business model you can adopt if you want to enter this market, especially if you don't have a big budget. It's expensive to buy and maintain a good domain portfolio... especially when you can't sell anything... ;)

Prophiterol, Sep 17, 2008 IP
  18. newdomains

newdomains Member

Best Answers:
    It is not a good line of business for an inexperienced and unskilled person. For investment purposes you may purchase some dictionary words, brand them and then eventually sell them. Again, take it as a part-time hobby, not for living.

newdomains, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  19. metronome

metronome Active Member

Best Answers:
    domain business might look better than stock market right now, but u shud be careful that domain name is not that stock market liquid, but hey, there is no way starting domain business now considered late.

metronome, Sep 18, 2008 IP
  20. language

language Peon

Best Answers:
    Domain business is a good business, in the same way it is a challenging business because you have to find good name or premium domain name, and develop this site and sell it. You have to do many good and challenging work, so be prepared to start domain business.

language, Sep 19, 2008 IP