1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Page Rank on Content

Discussion in 'Google' started by UtahSaint, Dec 14, 2004.

Hi guys, I have a well trafficked site xbox365.com - we generally get around 1.5million page views and around 250k unique visitors and are quite happy with the growth. We have a page rank of 6/10 on our home page, and also for our main sections, however, when someone clicks on a story, (regardless of age) it has a page rank of 0/10.....

To add to this puzzle, our forums have a page rank of 5/10 and all the threads (even brand new ones) have a page rank of 3/10....

Any thoughts on why we're not getting page ranks to our content? :confused:

Thx in advance, I love this forum and hope to contribute/help others also...

UtahSaint, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Do you understand what PR is and how you get it?

PageRank has little/nothing to do with your pages ranking in google.

It sounds like you might have to read up on what Google PageRank is.

T0PS3O, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  3. webvivre

webvivre Peon

Best Answers:
    That was helpful!

webvivre, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    T0PS3O, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  5. crew

crew Peon

Best Answers:
    um, I don't see anything wrong with anything he said. (other than the fact that he included '/10' in everything, which is technically correct). Where does he mention 'pages ranking in google'?

As for the actual question....That is wierd. Don't worry about the recent articles. That's the way it usually works, Toolbar hasn't been updated in 2 months. I don't know why your recent forum posts show up with PR. It usually doesn't work that way.

And, to tell you the truth, don't pay attention to the toolbar PR. Google internally keeps track of PR much more consistently.

crew, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I didn't see anything wrong either. I am just interested to hear whether this person knows what PR is, hence me asking. I could have started with a lecture on links or an in-depth consultation on his/her website etc. if I wanted but what if it turns out this person doesn't have a clue? That's why I ask a counter question first.

T0PS3O, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  7. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is only updated every so often by google. Worry more about the PR given to your root directory and root forum directory. The rest you don't really need to worry about from a PR stand point. You'll see the updates eventually on the toolbar, but it's really nothing to worry about. Worry more about back links to your main page to increase your PR6 to something higher. A good way to do that is use the digital point ad network and get in bound links from other web sites in your genre.

Good luck.

Infiniterb, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  8. UtahSaint

UtahSaint Peon

Best Answers:
    Thx for the feedback guys... and thanks for the lecture T0PS3O - way to make me feel welcome. :mad:

My understanding of pagerank is that it's based upon several factors, content, quality of content and links to that content.

Assuming the above is correct, my question still stands, why does my quality content get a 0 page rank, yet the "unqualified" content in my forums get a 3, 4 or 5?

I really don't need any lectures T0PS3O, I just wanted friendly thoughts/advice.

9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Where is my lecture? My gut feeling that you didn't know what PR was turned out to be spot on.

It has nothing to do with content nor quality of content.

Yes it has everything to do with links.

See, now I know this (and others too) we are so much better equipped to help you which is what we/I want to do. I'm still happy to give you my insights, especially now I know in which terms, targeted to your knowledge on the subject. Do you still want my insights? It seems one or two in this thread think I've done something wrong so before anything else I want to know whether you wtill want to hear my views/answer to your question.

T0PS3O, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  10. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    actually, there does appear to be a problem here. you don't have 0 PR pages, you have greybars.

it looks like you're not spiderable to me. your plain text links are getting indexed fine, your dropdowns aren't... it's either that or the odd urls ("http://www.xbox365.com/news/gdb.cgi?class=gameid&id=EEpkVuEuAuKVrGDzLW" etc)

have you tried setting up a traditional, plain text sitemap for the site?

disgust, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  11. UtahSaint

UtahSaint Peon

Best Answers:

Well, not to labor the point, but it has everything to do with content.... Who's going to link to my site if it has crappy content? (except for link farms etc)

Which brings me back to my question, (again :) ) - do you think it could be the URL to the content - is it too complex?

12. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Why ask if you don't want to listen...

Try and solve it thinking PR is based on content... Good luck!

Your forum threads didn't get their PR from external links either. To get them indexed you need to get your internal linking right first. Like Disgust said, this seems to be hindered by the menu. I had a look around (I love the design btw, nice work) but couldn't find the URL's she found. The id variable she found is definitely worrying but I couldn't find it. The links I saw seemed to be rewritten with mod-rewrite and seemed OK even with the obscure string like E876XX23RT etc. it should be indexed fine.

So to me it seems like your menu is the culprit. Gogle can't see the llink to the content pages so it can not... hold the phones... TRANSFER ANY PR!

Change the menu or bypass it is my advise...

And after this warm encounter... Welcome to the forum! I can recommend starting an intro thread. Judging from your profile you have some interesting work out there in the WWW some people herem ight be interested in. Anthony will want to know about your Rockstar status and there are more spyware hunters here too.

T0PS3O, Dec 14, 2004 IP
  13. UtahSaint

UtahSaint Peon

Best Answers:
    thx Tops - much appreciated- I'll see what we can do with the menus.... Glad to be part of the forum :)

btw, the International Rockstar in my profile is in homeage to a keyword search on google... takes you to my profile home page :)

14. scisoft

scisoft Peon

Best Answers:
    my 2 cents:

Find specific terms on several of these PR0 pages and try to find these pages in Google using these words.

If they are indexed, just relax. If they are not - get somebody to make a site map script for you.

scisoft, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  15. dentalplans

dentalplans Peon

Best Answers:
    Make damn sure everything on your site is spiderable. I think your inner pages will get boosted up after they have been around a while. Try deep linking to some of your inner sections by buying good text links..
    Thanks,

dentalplans, Jan 29, 2005 IP
  16. geo_v123

geo_v123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think best method to get good page rank try create 3 or more sites and try to include sites links in footer of each site.

Then try to improve the pagerank of one site by directory submision. We can use free seo panel for it. It is having a good tool for automatic directory submision and track the status of submission.

This automatically improve the pagerank of all of your sites.

I tried this method and it worked for me.

geo_v123, Jan 12, 2010 IP