1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need DESPERATE DNS help

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Moreno4, Sep 13, 2008.

Hello all,

I've switched domain hosts a few days ago for my domain 'mymediaplaylist dot com' and ever since then I can't seem to get my site back up. It's a VPS and it's bought through Surf Speedy. Their support sucks for VPS because.... they offer no support on VPS's, you have to do everything yourself... Yeah the service is good, but their a bunch of douche bags when it comes to support. Anywho, I'm trying to create my own nameservers in WHM... I mean, I thought I did before under "DNS Zone > Add DNS Zone".

It seems I have the two name servers I'm looking for; ns1.mymediaplaylist dot com and ns2.mymediaplaylist dot com. I've been searching through google for hours and no real step-by-step tutorial on doing so (at least for WHM). So it looks like they're set up and assigned but they don't work as you can clearly see here:

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=ns1.mymediaplaylist.com&type=nameserver

So please, can someone shine some light on this and help out? It would be greatly appriciated! I also can post pics of what I'm doing if that might help

Moreno4, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    when switching host
    YOU have to change YOUR NS settings
    where depends on who is your registrar
    you as registrant usually have access to YOUR domain account @ your registrar where YOU have to enter the NEW NS1 / NS2 of your new host.
    example:
    I have my domain registered @ networksolutions.com - they as my registrar have a full editable account where MYSELF can change ALL data when switching host or my address.
    after changing NS settings usually it takes up to 24 hrs ( = default TTL of Name Servers ) for the majority of traffic being directed to your new host. for the remainder of traffic it may take up to several weeks since many even large hosts have a totally different TTL!

hans, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  3. Moreno4

Moreno4 Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey hans,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I've already done that. See I bought the domain from Dreamhost when I was with them a little over a year ago. So I believe they are a reseller of enom. Since I guess Surf Speedy has no name servers for VPS (hence you having to make your own), you're only supplied with two IP's. I was able to retrieve my login credentials for Enom (since I never got it when I bought the domain from Dreamhost) but sadly upon loggin in, I can only insert direct nameservers, not IP's. For a little more understanding, here's what I wrote Enom last night:

Me:
    Enom:
    It's all one big circle and that's what I've been going through the last 5 or so days... the run around

Moreno4, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the story with your reseller is a problem for you and there is nothing at all you can do for this moment. just wait, pray, love and send him a friendly email or friendly phone call or fax ...
    that was the reason I always chose best and never cheapest - hence networksolutions.com with direct full access and control of all functionalities a registrant needs. that also is the reason I strictly separate registration from hosting.

re nameserver-name vs IP
    there is normally NO need to have IP - however many NS registration interfaces to have BOTH - a proper naemserver-name automatically should resolve to the IP of the machine the NS runs.

for that reason i have my OWN NS as master and 2 slaves on thirdparty NS servers - again under direct control. the key ALWAYS is the registrars control panel where the NS of host needs to be registered.

in your case
    contact your "reseller"
    request read-confirmation of email
    call at same time if you find a phone number

if for any reason your reseller fails to act ( he is most likely legally REQUIRED to act on your behalf if he is tech or admin contact for your domain )
    in case any problem solving fails
    save all correspondence and directly communicate with the original seller company.

you also may transfer your domain from CURRENT REGISTRAR to any OTHER registrar. as long as YOU have all previous and current invoices fully paid the current registrar HAS to free your domain for the domain name transfer to a NEW registrar of YOUR choice. your current registrar ( reseller ) if

such procedure may take up to several weeks but finally would give you full control over your domain.

I had in the first year my domain from a reseller and had problems like you - then initiated the full transfer and now have complete control of all.

currently it appears officially the full domain control is under:

Registrant Contact:
    SurfSpeedy.com
    Administrative Contact:
    SurfSpeedy.com
    Technical Contact:
    SurfSpeedy.com

ALL these 3 contacts normally should be YOU.
    reseller or no reseller - SurfSpeedy.com is the contact who needs to free your domain if you want to gain full control and transfer to another REGISTRAR who allows you direct control of all NS and other stuff via proper domain name interface.

hans, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  5. Moreno4

Moreno4 Banned

Best Answers:
    My current domain registrar for most of my sites is sslcatacombnetworking.com and they don't have an IP field for nameservers. But getting back to the punch, Enom is saying my domain is registered through Jumpline... but I clearly have login access to my domain here: http://access.enom.com

I have access to changing the nameservers, which I tried ns1 and ns2.mymediaplaylist . com and I get:

That's why I'm trying to create my own two name servers.

Moreno4, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  6. Moreno4

Moreno4 Banned

Best Answers:
    In WHM, I'm assigning Ip's to nameservers and A records in "Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel/WHM Setup"

Here's a pic of my DNS settings incase I'm doing something wrong, someone can point it out:
    http://i33.tinypic.com/25a455z.png

But yet they still don't work. Somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Moreno4, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  7. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my response too late
    my island or region was mostly offline during past 12+ hrs

I see that your NS and site appears to work - hence I assume you solved the problem

for future changes:
    always keep in mind that for a NS-modification to work you need to wait the TTL you have configured - in your case ( most cases ) you have a TTL of 86400 seconds = 24 hrs
    thus any change occurs on global level EARLIEST after 24 hrs - if YOUR ISP has a TTL / cache LONGER than 24 hrs, then you may be disabled from accessing your own site. ( others as well ).

to avoid waiting time during configuration testing of a new NS - I usually temporarily set the TTL to a very short time like 1 hrs or so until I am sure all config / site access works perfectly.

for that last reason I have my OWN NS in my laptop to get all updates for my surfing directly from root servers! in openSuSE linux that is very simple and most useful and makes you free from any ISP NS mis-configuration!

re Response Code 541
    I have NOT found any details on the exact meaning of the error code 541
    it typically is a real internal server error but the error lists I found end at 505.

re your registrant situation:
    independent of your current config access, the FACT that officially/legally you have:

Registrant Contact:
    SurfSpeedy.com

Administrative Contact:
    SurfSpeedy.com
    Technical Contact:
    SurfSpeedy.com

means that legally you are NO owner of ( your own ?) site / DOMAIN name and hence in any serious case the above listed "registrant" always IS OWNER and that simply means he - SurfSpeedy.com - can do whatever when ever he wants - absolutely ANYTHING, including LEGALLY moving your domain, "legally hijacking your domain" to any other host, even SELLING your domain.

even if admin and tech contacts are another person, REGISTRANT always MUST be the one who really beliefs to OWN the site/domain name !!!

if YOU really OWN your site name, then have your registrant-entry changed to YOUR name, better accpet FULL responsibility and change all 3 above listed contacts to your person/address ASAP.
    in your current situation you have actually NO real control to do whatever an owner needs to do in case of ownership transfer, registrar transfer, host transfer, etc

hans, Sep 14, 2008 IP
    fireworking and Moreno4 like this.
  8. nimhost

nimhost Active Member

Best Answers:
    one important step you need to make change is make child nameserver on your domain control panel under your registrar to make your own nameserver available world wide :)

nimhost, Sep 14, 2008 IP
    fireworking and Moreno4 like this.
  9. Moreno4

Moreno4 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks hans and nimhost... I was on the correct side all along. It was Surf Speedy with their lame support that was in the wrong. There's always a confusion with them and all I needed to do was register them. Ain't that something? Here I am looking to create NS's when I already have them created, just not registered. Anyways, yes the site is back up now but thank you two for taking the time out to help. Green rep for the both.

Moreno4, Sep 14, 2008 IP
    fireworking likes this.
  10. fireworking

fireworking Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I was going to buy VPS. Seems they have bad service.

And green rep for you guys

fireworking, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  11. nimhost

nimhost Active Member

Best Answers:
    your welcome :)

nimhost, Sep 15, 2008 IP