1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thinking About VPS?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by ellion, Sep 13, 2008.

Hi,

i am thinking about getting a VPS to host my forum.

i have only ever used shared hosting before so i am a little bemused by vps. it does seem to make sense to me to have my own virutal server rather than having to share a server with other users.

from what i have gathered if i purchase a VPS package i will choose a certain hardware configuration and can then apply some software to that configuration.

i am familiar with all the hardware options. and i have good idea of my system requirements.

i also have some limited experience of installing and using linux and other open source software. however..

there are things i really am not sure about.

i am only used to using cpanel, mysql and phpmyadmin for managing my websites. what kind of options are available to me for server side management of my sites. i dont want to have to pay. for licenses or hire software i would like to use open source or free programs.

does the O/S use ram etc from the vps and how do i calculate how much resources to allocate to my O/S?

is there any way i can test out how a VPS would work. maybe in virtualbox or vmware image something like that, or an online demo?

i think i will have more questions but enough there for now.

thanks all

ellion, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  2. royo

royo Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Just get a managed cPanel VPS and you won't ever have to step out of cPanel/WHM.

royo, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  3. NorTED

NorTED Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hey,

The RAM you need is very different, if you have a middle high traffic website with the free controlpanel lxadmin, then you should have around 256mb guaranteed ram.

If you have a new site, small and doesn't receive to much traffic, then 128mb RAM should do..

But then again, it's really something you should test for yourself, by buying a small VPS and install your website, then you can easily find out if you need more or less ram for your usage :)

All you need to do is to try for yourself, and figure out more exactly what your website requires of resources with lxadmin.

You can see what lxadmin requires itself by visiting their official website at http://lxlabs.com/

If you have any questions, then please don't hesitate to contact us "http://norted.com/"

Thanks,
    Fredrik

NorTED, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  4. pcsmart

pcsmart Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You don't need cPanel, it just takes up more ram. Yes cPanel/WHM "VPS Optimized" isnt as memory hungry as the usual version of cPanel, but still...

Just get a basic LAMP setup on there, quick bit of optimization and youll get great performance for very little resources.

LxAdmin is good, but for dynamic content you would want to use Apache rather than Lighttpd. LxAdmin supports both :)

pcsmart, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  5. ellion

ellion Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    hi norted, i actually visited your company this morning before posting this question. i was going to ask your company a few questiona about choosing a smaller package while i test things out. minimal bandwidth and minimal diskspace while there is only myself using it. can you make such arrangements? i know your packages are very reasonable anyway but i wouldnt even use 1gb bandwidth if i was just testing out myself.

@pcsmart

i was thinking along these same lines. i would be happy to come out from under the blanket of cpanel if i feel confident that i have a usable and stable alternative, if you know what i mean? lxadmin sounds like it may be worth looking at.

thanks for all your replies.

ellion, Sep 13, 2008 IP
  6. NorTED

NorTED Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hello,

For sure we can arrange a custom package for you, send me a PM on these forums or submit a ticket to with the specs you want, and we will arrange a custom price for you :)

Thanks,

NorTED, Sep 13, 2008 IP