1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why G, why?

Discussion in 'Google' started by david_sakh, Jan 28, 2005.

I've heard that G gives less weight to content that is lower down on the page. This seems a bit silly to me, considering the fact that whitespace and formatting tags are taken into account.

Why does G do this? Do we HAVE to make plain sites in order to experience the SEO benefit?

Sites like WMW are very simple and as a result the KWs are higher; I never understood why G implicitly encourages this simplicity. Nowadays I see table-formatted pages with navbars on the right side (after content) just b/c of G's ranking algos.

Seems...kinda...silly...

Please correct me if I have been misinformed about any of this, but I really don't see the need for taking absolute position on a page into account. It should all be relative to what the page would look like w/o tags or whitespace.

david_sakh, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    css my friend, css...

Crazy_Rob, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  3. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    I know, but is there any logic to this? That's my point. Even class="bleh" takes up 12 bytes - it should have no bearing on rankings, methinks. And we can no longer leave blocks of whitespace for organizational purposes. Look at bellsouth's home page for example, it's an absolute nightmare to edit, all thanks to bending over backwards for the SEs. They probably keep a whitespaced version for editing and run it through an algo to remove the WS.

It's just so unnecessary.

4. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    They aren't designing for the search engines: they're too big - they can be found simply by typing in the domain name. They are simply trying to make it as hard on their customers as they can*)

It's my opinion that bellsouth pages are among the worst on the internet. You can't find squat. Their pages are almost completely dynamic - everything is pulled from a dabase off one of their servers. Not that it's bad; but whoever does it really doesn't know what they're doing. Ever tried to find something on their site?

Edit

If they were designing for the search engines then their home page wouldn't look like this:

http://www.delorie.com/web/ses.cgi?url=http://www.bellsouth.com/

when viewed by a spider.

flawebworks, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  5. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
  6. flawebworks

Best Answers:
  7. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Their SEO should be fired! (if they in fact did SEO that site)

Crazy_Rob, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  8. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's because G is so simple itself that it figures everyone should be!

I'm not actually sure how true it is that the further down the page, the less weight is given. My understanding is that Google only indexes 100kb max (or something like that) for a page and if your keyword/phrase wasn't in the first 100kb, then obviously it will be left out. It logically follows that you should be sure to keep all your keyphrases at the top if your page file size is going to be THAT gigantic. I may be wrong though.

Now, needless to say, it is absolute best practice to create your markup as lean as possible with external scripts and stylesheets anyway.

daamsie, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  9. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    maybe G does this on purpose because it assumes the better sites will be formatted and coded more professionally...

and about the B.s. reference, I looked at the source in firefox for like two seconds because I was interested in the layout. I assumed b/c whitespace was eliminated it was conforming to SEO, but maybe that was an unwarrented assumption.

10. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    I think most people get rid of whitespace to attempt to speed up their pages. It's such a minimal difference compared to using good lean markup. But I guess it seems like a magic fix.

daamsie, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  11. marketrevolution

marketrevolution Guest

Best Answers:
    Sites without white space are hard to read. I hate seeing cluttered sites with no white space. (ie. WMW) Minimize your site design by using CSS instead of tables, dont sacrifice white space. Just my 2 cents.

marketrevolution, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  12. plmerlin

plmerlin Guest

Best Answers:
    Anxious.... I used the Search Engine Simulator to look at what my sites behavior... (I still have a lot to learn!)

Then I looked at what my big competitors look like... :p
    one is like this:
    Browser Check 6085 bytes
    Please activate scripting Scripting must be enabled before you can continue. To enable scripting, you need to make a simple adjustment to your browser settings. Click here if you need more help with

The other one like that:
    closeBlocked() 63097 bytes
    function closeBlockedPUMesgBox() { document.getElementById("blockedPUMesgBox").style.display = "none"; } #blockedPUMesgBox { display:none; width:770px; background:url(/img/corners/ffffc5_br.gif)

I know these guys blow millions every month in PPC advertizing but I feel great!:D

plmerlin, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  13. goplanit

goplanit Peon

Best Answers:
    Surley you can get keywords in the first 100kb?

goplanit, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  14. flawebworks

Best Answers:
    That little utility was a great eye opener for me when I started my interest in seo and started revamping my pages - and I'm not one to use huge amounts of code. My navigation was the first thing to show up and wasn't doing me much good. Changed things around and wham! what a difference it made.

15. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    I just used that site to put my content MUCH higher on the page! I can't thank you enough.

Great link.

16. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    Just as a side note, I used to work for a company that did web development for some major international companies, and at least as of a few years ago, they could have cared less about SEO. The focus was design, friendly interface for users, and easy navigation, etc. I guess when you're that large, you buy the important keywords, and other then that, recognize you are a major brand name and people will search you out.

wendy

wendydettmer, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  17. flawebworks

Best Answers:
    Bellsouth does not have an easy user interface, and navigation suckolas. Even their search sucks. Their website reminds me of their phone system: push this; push that, which option, push this, push that...and on and on.

You get the picture.

Even their backend systems: I've been privy to quite a few.

18. flawebworks

Best Answers:
    Always happy to oblige!

david_sakh likes this.
  19. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    The reference was actually to whitespace in the coding - not whitespace as is seen by users. Indeed, that is best achieved with CSS.

daamsie, Jan 29, 2005 IP
  20. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:

Oh sure - not saying that ALL major companies care about user interface, I was simply saying that from my experience, NONE of them cared about SEO.

wendydettmer, Jan 29, 2005 IP