1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Merging Main URL and index.html page

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mpkeith, Sep 11, 2008.

I've heard that if you have your site setup where your main website url and your index.html page are separate (the default setup), then the SE's recognize them as 2 separate pages and this can affect your rankings in the SE's.

How do you go about merging them, or making it so your index.html page automatically opens your main url? I've done it before in the past but can't remember how.

Thanks,
    Matthew Keith

mpkeith, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  2. TooMuch

TooMuch Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what you're trying, but usually index.html is your main url. Anyways, you can configure it in apache.

TooMuch, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  3. mpkeith

mpkeith Peon

Best Answers:
    I got it figured out, thanks. I guess what I needed to do was use htaccess to redirect the non-www version (websiteurl . com) to the www version (www . websiteurl . com).

mpkeith, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  4. shahilroyhere

shahilroyhere Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ya, redirect is the procedure for it.
    But be sure that your redirect is "Redirect Parmanent" ie a 301 redirect. Don't get a 302 redirect, otherwise you will have bigger error to search engines.

shahilroyhere, Sep 12, 2008 IP