1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Err, PR4 with several thousand cached pages = weight of 6?

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Protoss, May 10, 2006.

1. Protoss

Protoss I paid $25 for this title

Best Answers:
    Just a guess out of lack of really knowing what's going on here... but did you recently start using the automatic filtering parameter option to help identify quality of site (http://www.google.com/apis/reference.html#2_3) ? Or am I just way off base? When using the API on some of the sites mentioned above the number of results returned when using automatic filtering may be more in line with the weights being seen (all just rough guesstimation though).

Protoss, May 19, 2006 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, nothing has changed with the weighting algorithm in a long time (probably 18 months or so). It's just that some of the mechanisms it uses recently became more accurate.

digitalpoint, May 19, 2006 IP
  3. Protoss

Protoss I paid $25 for this title

Best Answers:
    Ahhh, well like I said, just a wild guess :) Thanks for your feedback! I know weight questions aren't supported (otherwise you'd have no time for food or sleep I imagine).

Guess that will teach us cheese-waffle webmasters to get on our A game if we want good coop weight in the future.

/heads back to the drawing board

Protoss, May 19, 2006 IP
  4. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mine dropped from around 19k to 2k. Its due to google updates; nothing on DP end as far as I'm aware.

Fahd, May 19, 2006 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think people are forgetting that weight is relative, not absolute. If everyone goes down the same percentage, you still end up with the exact same number of impressions.

digitalpoint, May 19, 2006 IP
  6. Dastar

Dastar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I think that's what most are overlooking in this case.

Dastar, May 19, 2006 IP
  7. rbfallon

rbfallon Peon

Best Answers:

I disagree, this seems to be a coop issue, not a google issue, as everyone here that is having problems has all of their pages indexed in Google.

What this comes down to is someones opinion on what a quality site is and is not.....shawn's opinion.

And this weight problem is absolute and is not relative as it is only affecting a % of sites on the coop and not all of them.

Coop weight has become big business and this sudden increase in accuracy in the weighting mechanism is costing 100's of thousands and maybe millions of dollars....

rbfallon, May 19, 2006 IP
  8. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, if you built your business model around the coop, or any other single thing, you've probably made a mistake.

iShopHQ, May 19, 2006 IP
  9. Matteh

Matteh Peon

Best Answers:
    how can i turn on automatic filtering in my google search?

Matteh, May 19, 2006 IP
  10. rbfallon

rbfallon Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, well you know what they say about opinions.

And rather you built your business model around coop or not is absolutely irrelevant to this discussion. This effects maybe a few percent of my overall business, but a few percent of anything substantial adds up real quick.

rbfallon, May 19, 2006 IP
  11. Matteh

Matteh Peon

Best Answers:
    Matteh, May 19, 2006 IP
  12. rsgreenhorn

rsgreenhorn Peon

Best Answers:

Guys I'm not even going to tell you to read in between the lines because the answer is in the line I quoted.

There are 2 portions that need to be understood here:

Aggregation of weight and the "mechanism" used to determine weight for each category.

The mechanism probably determines, based on certain categories such as PR, Indexed pages, content of site, etc, how much weight you will get. Each category porbably has a power associated to it. PR may have a power of 1 Indexed pages may have a power of 4 but original content may "NOW" have a power of 10 therefore increasing its significance in the overall weight determiniation.

So I think when Shawn says "the mechanisms it uses recently became more accurate" is definately a code change in the coop add network.

A code change doesn't mean the coop ad network is broken it just got tweaked.

I think time will tell if the tweak is working as intended but from a coders perspective I don't think any company that has a reputation would release code to public that will be harmful/disastrous. So I think testing was done on this code and it was probably made sure that it worked well.

Anyways, I'm still a noob but these are my thoughts so take them with a grain of salt.

rsgreenhorn, May 19, 2006 IP
  13. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn said no changes to the algorithm were made, period!

By "the mechanisms it uses recently became more accurate", I believe he is saying that googles indexing, PR, duplicate content filters, backlink checks, and other mechanisms that the coop weight factor depends upon became more accurate.

Nothing to read between the lines here. Shawn has been very open and to the point in his replies here.

Oh the conspiracy some of you guys make this to be! :rolleyes:

Fahd, May 19, 2006 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just to be clear, there was no coding changes. If I was in the Antarctic for the last year without a computer, the same thing would have "naturally" happened on it's own.

digitalpoint, May 20, 2006 IP
  15. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen a lot of whining about the Co-Op lately. It amazes me to see what some folks expect from a FREE service. If you don't like something about the Co-Op then don't use it (You can always sign up for our banner exchange at Seekbullet.com and see how many visitors that brings to your site! lol). I would put together a list of threads discussing weight drops, the effects Google has on the Co-Op, & similar explainations but it would be pointless, as someone is still going to say SHAWN WHAT HAPPENED TO MY WEIGHT???

Come on guys be patient, let Google work out their apparent problems, and your weight will be through the roof again. Even though the impressions that you get (the important part of the Co-Op I would think) will remain about the same since its proportionate through the Co-Op and EVERYONE is being effected.

Cheers!

BlueDevilMedia, May 20, 2006 IP
  16. Helmethead3

Helmethead3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Meanwhile I'm cruizing unaffected in the Link Vault.

I promised to keep you all posted on how it was going. I had 30 permanent links added today. Thats more than I got for impressions in coop. My vaults are still on 87 and havn't gone up since my site was validated, which is a downside. Alot of people said link vault is a timely process and results wont be seen as fast. i guess that would normally be the case (because vaults increase slowly etc.), but at this current time, I'd go in to bat for linkvault in saying it has gotten results for my site quicker. If google fixes its indexing problems soon, coops mysterious weight jumps stready out, and categorized links was added to the system, I'd return.

p.s. how have people like nintendo, with heaps of weight been affected?

Helmethead3, May 21, 2006 IP
  17. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Every one has crashed. I got one ugly duplicate content site that's less than six months old...with around 60,000 of weight, one message board site that hasn't crashed, weight wise...yet, and has been re-valiated with in the last week, and the rest are crashed.

So if 'some of the mechanisms it uses recently became more accurate' then quality sure is not what the co-op is looking for, as most quality sites have had there weight crashed. Even Google has confessed to having a major site: bug.

Nintendo, May 22, 2006 IP
  18. rsgreenhorn

rsgreenhorn Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe someone formatted the wrong rack at google :eek:

rsgreenhorn, May 22, 2006 IP
  19. michail1

michail1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have www.koltenw.com is it went from 2400 to 133. Unlike most sites, mine is completely legit storefront. PR5 with 281 pages indexed. If the "mechanisms" changed to make coop take out spammy sites, then why did mine change since it couldn't be more legit. No generated products, etc.

Google still shows the same ranking and indexed pages as before. So, is google still to be the culprit in this or a communication problem with DPS to google? Just asking for thoughts.

Basically, reading both that it is googles fault and the other is a spammy issue, but all my sites dropped with DPS (complete legit, and dynamically generated) - different accounts that were equally dropped.

michail1, May 22, 2006 IP
  20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm guessing Google thinks it's spammy because it looks like duplicate content...

[search=google]site:www.koltenw.com[/search]

Most pages have the same title, description, etc. Also, I only show 58 pages indexed, some of which are "Supplemental".

digitalpoint, May 23, 2006 IP