1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

STOP wasting time with Do Follow Commenting

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by poseidon, Sep 9, 2008.

I am saying this from my personal experience but i am sure some others will also will be able to jump and put there thoughts here.

How many of you have really seen and can conclusively say that do follow commenting indeed helps in making site ranks ? I had made a post few days back that there is NO Value in Dofollow Commenting.

I have spent considerably time and resources doing it and is pretty sure that the results are not that good. Its obviously ridiculous to think that google will give same weight to those dofollow comments in wordpress sites since we can easily generalize the theory of linking - the easier the link is to get, the less the value it will have

So what do you people think about this ?

PS - The blog is mine and in a way you can say I am promoting it by linking it here but I don't think anyone will mind it as it perfectly fits in the context.

poseidon, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  2. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree that the easier the link the less likely it will help your site. However, if you have a new site even low value links will help.

One benefit to dofollow commenting is the hits you get to your site when people click on your links.

freelistfool, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Blog owners encourage comments by going dofollow then slap ya with dofollow. I agree, big waste of time!

dcristo, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  4. kinitex

kinitex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree. All my time I spent posting comments really didn't affect anything.

kinitex, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  5. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would say that I agree about dofollow blog commenting being a 'low fruit'. At the same time, I have got some really good backlinks because I commented on some blogs. Some bloggers even included my sites on their blogroll for free. Of course, I don't just leave comment once and vanish. I prefer subscribing to the RSS and I comment on 5-10 posts immediately after they are posted.

jitendraag, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  6. WarrenBuffett

WarrenBuffett Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends if you have included your anchor text when commenting. I have found blog posts more valuable than being on a links.html page.

WarrenBuffett, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  7. cnvseo

cnvseo Guest

Best Answers:
    yes, i also agree. it is very time consuming process though. We are spending too much time in reading blog, understand them and also try to post such comments that seem not spam. And after doing all these result is 0% or 1% some times. (if you are regular commentators of any blog).

cnvseo, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  8. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Commenting on blogs will help with PR, but many blog owners don't like you to use anything but your real name. So to that end, it really does not help your ranks if your name is Joe and your site is selling used shoves. :D

snowbird, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  9. bloggerboy86

bloggerboy86 Guest

Best Answers:
    I would like to know if there are any social bookmarking sites which has dofollow ?

bloggerboy86, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  10. James_P

James_P Peon

Best Answers:
    We can't take this literally. As far as we know, Google cannot discern between whether the link was 'easy' to get or 'hard' to get, that's why they rely heavily on manual reporting and the implementation of the NoFollow attribute. More to the point, however, is that you're not going to benefit as much if the link is easy to get, only because others will be doing the same thing on the same site, resulting in more bleed. If you find an untapped 'easy' link resource, keep it to yourself and you'll reap the benefits.

James_P, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  11. James_P

James_P Peon

Best Answers:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/search.php

I know you haven't studied rocket science, but come on.

James_P, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  12. hardevzala

hardevzala Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes You R Right

hardevzala, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  13. schgrv

schgrv Active Member

Best Answers:
    I never waist my time on commenting Do Follow blogs bcoz i always work for SERP's not for PR and second thing as i know for SERP's relevancy does matter which you don't get in DO Follow Blogs bcoz they are very less in numbers, people just post their comments and they don't know what benefit they are getting.

Do follow blog comments are not more than spamming and i am agree with you they are worthless. I wanna tell one thing might be you wud believe or not but i have seen some positive response when i posted my comments on blogspot blogs relevant to my niche. I know they don't help in SERP's but i think if you follow relevancy factor then some where you wud get trust factor of Google....................

And by commenting on blogspot blogs i get gud traffic which you can't get on do follow blogs because on do follow blogs there are hundreds of comments and nobody read them while on bloggers blog comments are limited and you cud fine your relevant niche easily..........

So i post comments sometimes on bolgger blogs instead of do follow and feel some thing +ve for me while from do follow i didn't get anything.........................

schgrv, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  14. spinx

spinx Banned

Best Answers:
    hey I've never thought of that. thanks for a good info mate..

spinx, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  15. DrAnujGupta

DrAnujGupta Peon

Best Answers:
    I garee with your idea but have some extra energy in forum posting. you can get solutions all your problems and get exptra traffics through signature. I'm happy here because i got many good friends here. They solve my all problems on DP.

DrAnujGupta, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  16. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    Somehow I have never been very comfortable with the idea of how easy it is to get dofollow links, I mean, heck they are even easier than finding the guestbooks (using http://www.fastblogfinder.com/) so now the question is, is there really no way google can't find what are comments are and which is the main body of blog post ? in wordpress, its pretty easy with the css class to find what are comments, and may be they are doing this.

Also not many good blogs allow dofollow comments (if they do than they don't accept useless 1 line comments) so the dofollow comments mostly goes to so-so and below blogs, showing very little effect in serps

poseidon, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  17. gtwlabs

gtwlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    Dofollow comments can send you little Bit weight but its not worth, so we can say, Dofollow/Nofollow Comments = only you can get good traffics.

Eric

gtwlabs, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  18. James_P

James_P Peon

Best Answers:
    They could, but they don't. And why should they? It's up to website owners to manage which sites their linking to, not Google. Just because it is a comment link does not necessarily mean it should not be considered. What next? No signature links are considered? There's a line that they have to draw somewhere.

I agree with you though, DoFollow commenting is a big time waste of time for climbing anywhere in the SERPs!

James_P, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  19. hanfree

hanfree Peon

Best Answers:
    You're right. Nowadays people is scared about allowing dofollow links. Not only because of spam but because they are afraid about sharing PR or link popularity. Google encourages nofollow to all blogs and they don't like paid blog posts advertisements to promote our sites. But I think this will be the only way to get some links in the future.

hanfree, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  20. James_P

James_P Peon

Best Answers:
    NoFollow was simply a moronic fix to a link spam problem. WordPress and Wikipedia's implementation of it - even worse. You are essentially penalizing everyone for actions of an isolated (albeit rather large) sample of web users. The sooner Google drops the use of nofollow, and people start combating spam through more effective means, the better it will be for all of us with good quality, informative websites that just don't quite have the marketing reach.

Why would WP implement nofollow for comment links? No idea.
    1. They use the Name field as anchor text. What the..?
    2. Uh.. nofollow to prevent spam? Ever heard of comment moderation & captcha?

Wikipedia's right up the same alley. The most informative community-built resource on the web, why would you enable nofollow?? It is strictly policed already, and spam links would be filtered out rather quickly. Good websites deserve to be rewarded for their contributions to such an effort.

James_P, Sep 10, 2008 IP