1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

rel=nofollow in Movable Type

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by nevetS, Jan 27, 2005.

I think MT did a good thing in making the rel=nofollow attribute a plugin instead of a part of their core code - at least for now.

Sites that receive a lot of blogspam either from linkbacks or comments can certainly use this - and it makes it useful.

But thinking about the other side of the street - people who participate in your community should get some benefit from participating. If there isn't a problem with your user community putting up links to bad sites left and right, it should be OK if you miss the occasional link that should be deleted.

Just My Opinion.

I just fear that if everybody puts up "rel=nofollow" all over the place then we're going to get to the point that it ends up being a useless tag. If it is used responsibly, then it can dramatically cut down on spam.

nevetS, Jan 27, 2005 IP
    david_sakh likes this.
  2. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    well said. Sometimes me indecisiveness to post is just pushed over the edge by the thought, well, I'll get to express my opinion, and get a tiny backlink while I'm at it.

david_sakh, Jan 27, 2005 IP
  3. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I wonder - is this valid HTML? if you implement this thing, does it mean that you have to be running XHTML? It's not like they (W3) would go back and update all existing standards to deal with this.

I searched w3.org and got this:
    Your search - rel=nofollow - did not match any documents.

nevetS, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  4. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bernard, Jan 28, 2005 IP
    nevetS likes this.
  5. Eadz

Eadz Peon

Best Answers:
    You can impliment it using valid XHTML yes. You can make your own rel=anything and it can be valid, providing you follow the rest of the xhtml standards.

Eadz, Jan 28, 2005 IP
  6. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Interesting... It looks like it is valid HTML 4.0 with a bit of a caveat (at least as I understand it from reading. I didn't read the whole thing... too much for my brain for now, but it looks like you have to put a reference to your metadata profile if you use a non-standard link tag. Something like:
    <HEAD profile="http://www.acme.com/profiles/core">
    PHP:
    I haven't seen anything from google about them publishing a profile. It could be that it is valid XHTML. I put a link on an xhtml page and it validated fine. I don't have any 4.0 spec pages to validate. I also noticed that there is a draft spec for this here: http://developers.technorati.com/wiki/RelNoFollow (this link I found on google's blog).

i'm not the only one who has a problem with this apparently.

I followed the w3 link and clicked on "link-types" right after "rel ="

Here is the relevant information, which I had to get from a few different pages:

nevetS, Jan 28, 2005 IP