1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

my WP site got hit with over 8,000 spam comments

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by roseau, Sep 8, 2008.

Hello All

One of my sites has over 8,000 comments waiting to be moderated. A handful are legit that I need to keep.

It seems that the spam can only be deleted in batches of 20 which means I will be here until Christmas cleaning up this mess. They all happened on the weekend (not that it matters when, I guess.....)

But I have been searching all over the internet only to find others in the same predicament.

Is there a fast method to getting these out of my site? I wondered if it would be faster to just clean up the DB itself BUT it is so large now, I can't get it exported.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

roseau, Sep 8, 2008 IP
  2. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this Wordpress and do you have Akismet Plugin enabled?

Dodger, Sep 8, 2008 IP
  3. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i dont have any tips for plowing thru your 8,000 comments- other than maybe kill them all, and just accept that some innocent posters will get taken out with the spam..
    To avoid this in the future i suggest using a combination of Akismet AND the BadBehavior plugin - you'll never see spam again (knock on wood)..

Tearabite, Sep 8, 2008 IP
    roseau likes this.
  4. roseau

roseau Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I do have the Akismet enabled. So I guess I should get the other plugin you suggest as well.

I think you are right about getting rid of them all but I don't see anywhere to do that. There does not appear to be a "select all". When I use the mass edit mode, I still have to click each box to get 20 to delete.

thx for responding

roseau, Sep 8, 2008 IP
  5. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    No you don't have to tick the boxes. There is a button at the top and bottom of the page labeled "Delete All" ... one click and all 8000 of them are gone.

Also, after 7 days (or something like that) they get deleted forever automagically.

Dodger, Sep 8, 2008 IP
    roseau likes this.
  6. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    8000 comments can wait the moderation cue and you will find them under spams. So go the spams tab and delete them first.

After that you will get the auto filtered original comments which you can moderate accordingly at your convenience :)

godsofchaos, Sep 8, 2008 IP
    roseau likes this.
  7. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    super spam
    8000 spams in two days. it is incredable.

justinlorder, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  8. brendan9971

brendan9971 Peon

Best Answers:
    8000 seems pretty crazy! try a capcha plugin or akismet if it is wordpress otherwise try another capcha solution

regards,
    brendan

brendan9971, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  9. east

east Active Member

Best Answers:
    It used to hapent same also on a blog of mine. After a time I figured out that Akismet was not enabled, it automatically disabled without doing nothing. Can be that another plugin that I install it after did that. I know that it might sound like a stupid think to do but be sure that Akismet is enable

east, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  10. DomainSocial90

DomainSocial90 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should put to evry comment must be aprowed my moderator and to 1 user cant post idk more then 5 comments in 30 minuts or something like that?

DomainSocial90, Apr 24, 2011 IP