1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hyperlinking Text: Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Hyphen, Sep 6, 2008.

Hyphen, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  2. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is very, very important. The link anchor text is one of the few things that the search engine spiders can look at to see what the link is about. If you want to rank well for any competitive search terms, it is crucial that you get incoming links with that term in your anchor text. If you're linking to a website with say 'ice cream' as the anchor text, you are essentially telling the search engines that the website is a good ice cream resource.

An example that I always read about regarding this is how adobe.com ranks #1 for the phrase 'click here'. They have this ranking because of many links with 'click here' as the link anchor text.

If you can use keywords in your link anchor text, you definitely should. It's a easy way to improve your rankings for that specific search term.

vansterdam, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  3. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    the anchor text is very important ;)
    I suggest you read up on it a bit more if you are unsure

Brandon Sheley, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  4. essai4u

essai4u Peon

Best Answers:
    The second type is more Important, That is what we called as anchor text. Since that discribes the nature of the site that is directed in that link.

essai4u, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  5. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    #2 is much better than #1. Think about it. #2 describes the linked page; #1 does not. Which would the search engines be likely to appreciate more? Clearly the descriptive hyperlink.

Jim4767, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  6. ThomasChisler

ThomasChisler Peon

Best Answers:
    Mate here's your short answer: IT DOES!

I mean historically speaking, at first it didn't. Google used a method stolen from librarians to rank your pages..

But after a while they realized: That's not enough! I mean if you have 10000000000 links to your sites (you are right, I made that up): you would rank for everything..

A little bit later, my favorite SEO guru figured it out: Leslie Rohde said "Anchor Text Does Matter!".

Then funny spammers decided to get George Bush ranked for Miserable Failure, just because of the anchor text. That's called "Google Bombing". So Google made some safety measures and made sure that won't happen again. So if you have a strange anchor texts pointing at you: You will get slapped..

ThomasChisler, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  7. Hyphen

Hyphen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The reason I'm asking is because, when posting on blogs and entering your homepage/website URL, the anchor text it uses is what is in the 'name' field. I don't want to seem like a major spammer and substitute my name for my actual website title.

Hyphen, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  8. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, you won't. If that were true, you would be wide open to sabotage by your competitors submitting all kinds of links to your website with "strange anchor text". The search engines are not that stupid to allow an open door for your competition to sabotage you with links.

Jim4767, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  9. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    anchor text is how the bots know the importance of your keyword if theres a lot of anchor text links with your keyword you will rank higher

zurpit.com, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  10. Bbau01

Bbau01 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What I do, is I am also self conscous of spamming, is use a related term when needed.

Like if I see prior comments with total site names "SEO MARKETING" well then I'll go ahead and be blatant.

If not, I'll use something that kinda could be a name, or reasonable screename. State name works - California say doesn't seem too spammy, even "regular" ppl commenting without SEO purposes do that. Thing like that, if you think of your niche, can squeeze some regular sounding names that are still decent anchors.

Bbau01, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  11. zee

zee Banned

Best Answers:
    To make it simple

If you want your site to rank high for "Hey, this is a link", use method 1 and if you want it to rank high for Hey, "
    DigitalPoint Forums" use method 2 :)

It's very... very important :)

zee, Sep 7, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  12. Hyphen

Hyphen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips, guys. So... if I was advertising a golf website... let's just say it's called "GolfWorld", but I wanted more results on the keyword "golf balls," it's smarter to anchor the link as "golf balls?"

Hyphen, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  13. IEmailer.com

IEmailer.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You've got the point, it's just like that.
    Bottom line: Anchor text dose matter ;)

IEmailer.com, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  14. Eugene Oregon Homes

Eugene Oregon Homes Peon

Best Answers:
    You've got it, but you mentioned commenting on Blogs, so be aware of their TOS or Terms Of Service. Many blogs, especially do-follow blogs do not allow blatant anchor text, but prefer your name or handle. So just be aware that different Blogs have different rules.

Eugene Oregon Homes, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  15. tendulkar2

tendulkar2 Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes. The Anchor text is very important... it'll help the bots to know more information about your site.... the more links you get with a particular anchor text, the better you rank in SERP's for that keyword.

tendulkar2, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  16. WishBone

WishBone Peon

Best Answers:
    Try some Keyword research tool around to see which keywords related to your site are most searched by users, here's one:

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

WishBone, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  17. hardevzala

hardevzala Banned

Best Answers:
    This is Very important Part of SEO. You Have Add hyperlink on Your Keyword This is More Benefits of Keyword Ranking.

hardevzala, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  18. atulperx

atulperx Banned

Best Answers:
    Go and check traffic stats you will see most of organic traffic comes because of this not because of title of our post . Google mainly concentrate on keywords and if you have some good keywords hyper linked than it is good for you .

atulperx, Sep 8, 2008 IP