1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

dmoz editor application

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by alcas, May 16, 2006.

1. alcas

alcas Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Brizzie,

Thank you for your comments. I see the problem with aspen, clearly I had not done my homework well enough.

I also note your comments with regards to the other entries, but I would like to point out these were merely suggestions, after application had been denied the second time. They were not referenced in the applications themselves, so they cannot have had any bearing on the application. As you rightly have pointed out, aspen is the illegality here. My mistake, and I was not suggesting that it was impossible that I had made one.

I would not have under any circumstances made the changes I was suggesting without consultation from an advising editor. Like I said on RZ, I only put them up as suggestions.

I also did not challenge the editors decision on my application (which is open now that they were correct in anycase).

I also understand why dmoz cannot discuss individual applications, although I do see where there is merit in allowing dialogue in some cases too. Which would complicate things for the editors even more unfortunately!

buratssky, thank you for the vote of confidence! My choice of aspen is in fact a pretty poor choice, and with hindsight I am shocked I didn't notice the problem. Can't think what I had been eating that day! lol. That alone should be suffice to disqualify me from ever being an editor again! lol.

Once again, Brizzie, thank you very much for your help and comments. Donation made to the link in your signature btw. :)

alcas, May 17, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  2. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, metas are forbidden to discuss individual cases and non-metas are apparently forbidden from posting in that section of RZ in case they say the wrong thing - catch 22. All you have here is speculation and educated guesswork but I hope it helped you understand the decision made.

If you understand your mistake it might work in your favour. Since that was not guaranteed to be the only error in the application only one obvious problem I wouldn't want you to waste your time and apply again if you are not happy to do so. But it is a rewarding hobby. Some people have tried 6, 8, 10 times and made it eventually.

You're a star. :)

brizzie, May 17, 2006 IP
  3. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    No, there was no point to the post, but the same can said about a lot of posts in this forum

I believe Gworld asked buratssky if he was rejected because he stated that the editors at DP were much friendlier and supportive, and I found it funny that gworld suggest the idea out of nowhere http://forums.digitalpoint.com/show...lpoint.com/showpost.php?p=907022&postcount=35
    I seriously doubt Gworld was serious about the question. Gworld didn’t complain about my comment.
    .... hmmm Minstrel, it is not a problem... if I really have a problem with grammar... I believe I would not have been accepted as an editor...;)

The truth is, I don't really care too much about grammar on a forum, (I don't even post here much) participating in activities, hanging out with friends, and the likes...:D

I only care about using proper grammar when necessary, like schoolwork, job applications, editing, and the likes..

but thanks for pointing that out

crossman, May 17, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  4. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    You should care about using proper grammar because there is a higher probability that you will be misunderstood if you don't.

ishfish, May 17, 2006 IP
  5. alcas

alcas Peon

Best Answers:
    It did, and relieves the feeling of skepticism (and ambiguity).

Even with its certain failings, DMOZ is the biggest and most comprehensive directory out there. And your earlier comments are precise, complaints ALWAYS stand out more than praise. People rarely ever register with a forum just to express praise. But you can just imagine what most people do first when a bad experience happens upon them. In my case, I would have started this thread either way, just to give another view of DMOZ editor applications, good or bad.

I note your comments regarding reapplying, but I am pretty sure the DMOZ editors are completely sick of me by now! ;) I do think it would be a worthwhile and rewarding hobby though. It's almost tempting to reapply just to see if I will get refused again. lol.

No worries. I'm sure it is a very difficult job to do and they have my utmost respect. Kudos to you for promoting their awareness.

alcas, May 17, 2006 IP
  6. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Or not - try again :) I would stay away from Shopping though - how about your home town instead? Or a nearby town? Something small that could grow substantially with a little tender care. :)

lmocr, May 17, 2006 IP
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How about if he develop an interest in cooking casseroles and become an editor in that section? :rolleyes:

That is the crazy thing about this whole process with new editors, you are an editor, he is not and it is quite obvious that he is a much much better choice as an editor. :rolleyes:

gworld, May 17, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  8. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Despite your desire to change the very nature of editing that isn't going to happen. New editors have to learn how to edit and they are best off doing that in a part of the directory where the guidelines and site assessments are straightforward. Recognising spam and otherwise unlistable sites is a major editor skill that develops with experience. Having built up experience in easy to manage categories people progress to the more complex ones, and build up trust to be able to edit those that are spam magnets or highly commercial where there are more opportunities for abuse of privileges. I don't see how you are qualified to judge the suitability of someone who has never been an editor against someone with a proven and impressive track record like imocr. Whilst on the face of it alcas seems like he would fit in very well with the editor community no-one commenting here has access to the applications nor has to take the responsibility for selecting editors with the risk that they may do more damage than good. When they get it wrong, and clearly they do or editors would not be removed for abuse or poor editing, it gives ammunition to people like you. Because of the hard lessons of the past they are naturally cautious and this is likely to be a contributory factor in declining editor numbers over the medium to long term. Increasing the number of metas substantially and/or spreading some of the selection tasks is a possible answer to this but that too is unlikely, at least in the short term.

brizzie, May 18, 2006 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you look at the result with so many spam and one page advertising site listed, DMOZ is not very successful at developing the major editor skill for it's editors. You make it sound like being an editor is a rocket science, the truth is an educated child will manage it.

Any comment on my other posting in this thread:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=906663&postcount=14

From his posting is obvious that he thinks, can reason and draw logical conclusions. These qualities makes him a better editor than many of present ones including senior editors. ;)

gworld, May 18, 2006 IP
  10. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree which is why, albeit without information I don't have access to and based solely on what I have seen here and in RZ open posts, I personally think he should have another go if he wants. Though it is also clear, and alcas himself accepts it, his application was flawed such that acceptance was highly unlikely. He has also acknowledged that had he been accepted he would actively have sought mentoring by more experienced editors, which is a good thing but presumably given your attitudes an avenue you would not advocate because you think all editors are fools or crooks.

Yeah if you want. You have inaccurately generalised but I can see what you are getting at. Metas will take the experience of accepting 70,000 editor applications over the years, and know where the danger areas are for new editors. They need to learn the basics of editing, which some 12 year olds can and have grasped quite quickly. And prove themselves trustworthy given the risks of accepting corrupt editors. A small and relatively uncommercial category is the best place to demonstrate both. There are plenty with no history of spam, others where it is rife. You have an issue with poor quality control (as I do) - accepting editors to inappropriate categories would increase that problem. You say you have a problem with corrupt editors - being softer on allowing new editors into inappropriate categories would increase that and increase the perception of corruption even more. Putting new editors into small and relatively uncommercial categories greatly reduces the risk of damage, and contains it, if a mistake has been made in the editor acceptance.

Of course they can but before volunteering to get rights to a major category and/ or one with spam and unlistable site problems they have to learn the basics and gain the trust. They wouldn't be granted that as their first category, it wouldn't be fair on them nor on others who would have to clear up the mess. And you can still see the mess caused by some bad editors here and there where there haven't been the resources to clean it up.

brizzie, May 18, 2006 IP
  11. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Ain't that the truth! My to-do cleaning list grows faster than I can work on it.

compostannie, May 18, 2006 IP
  12. alcas

alcas Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi all,

I simply couldn't resist and have reapplied! It seems the system is not functioning correctly again though, as I have not received an email acknowledgement to my validation email. I'll wait it out a few days and then check on the resource zone forum for any information as to whether it was received or not.

Strangely part of me really wants to see whether it is possible for me to become an editor. I hope this application cuts the mustard. We will see. I will keep you all informed :).

Thanks again for all the comments and help.

alcas, May 22, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  13. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    I really do hope you get accepted this time. All the best for you.:)

buratssky, May 22, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  14. alcas

alcas Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi buratssky,

Thanks for the thoughts, but it seems it is not meant to be ;)

Rejected. Cannot honestly say I am too surprised, given the earlier contention. I have looked over my website suggestions and the application text itself and there is nothing immediately palpable as grounds for rejection.

The only problem with choosing a category within your locality, is as follows:

1) There may be one category of interest within your locality, such as for example your own line of work or a hobby. Unfortunately there may not even be three websites that match this certain category.

2) How many websites does a category need in order for both yourself to feel you have completed a worthwhile job, and in order for dmoz to allow you to proceed to another category? Some of the categories in my locality will be hard pushed to have eight or ten at most, others will definitely find the ceiling at five entries.

3) What is an editor supposed to do, initiate a new interest or hobby based on the category they are allowed to edit for, rather than edit a category for which they already have a hobby or interest in?

alcas, May 23, 2006 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Apparently, that is the DMOZ rule, yes. Were you expecting it to make sense?

minstrel, May 23, 2006 IP
  16. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Alcas - it is possible to apply for a category that is too small. For example if you applied for a small subcategory in your locality - and there were only three possible sites left to be listed, there wouldn't be any reason to accept the application because you wouldn't be able to demonstrate your editing ability very well.

The object is to apply for a small category that you could easily triple (or more) in size.

Based on your comments it appears that your hometown is rather small - did you apply for just one small subcategory of your hometown or the entire hometown? You would have a better chance with the latter, because there would be more potential listings available.

lmocr, May 23, 2006 IP
  17. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    It's also possible that ODP doesn't want him as an editor.

ishfish, May 23, 2006 IP
  18. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Quite. I think that after hearing that he's rejected because:

1. he picked a category that was too large
    2. he picked a category that was too small
    3. he picked a category he was interested in and knew something about
    4. he picked a category he was not interested in and knew nothing about

... he'd begin to come to the same conclusion ishfish did...

minstrel, May 23, 2006 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I honestly can not say that I am surprised either. After the first rejection, you should have applied from a new IP and with a new name. ;)

I think soon, I need to write my ebook about how to become a DMOZ editor in less than a week. ;)

gworld, May 23, 2006 IP
  20. alcas

alcas Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

As you know I was rejected for the previous category I applied for, so mostly out of curiousity, and in part to simply follow the advice of editors on here who advised to apply for a smaller category. This I did and I was accepted as an editor.

I can advise that my application for this new category was "not as good as it could have been" yet was granted some leeway by the reviewing editor, so in this instance I can honestly say he was clearly being more helpful rather than obstructive.

Hi lmocr,
    Yes I did apply for a sub category in the my local, but fortunately the local is not just my town, but my borough, so it extends to quite a large area. I am not sure how much I can add to it though, so will apply for other subcategory within this borough, or indeed for the entire borough itself, I will reassess as I go along. Thanks for your comments.

Hi Minstrel,
    I was beginning to think that indeed! Like I said in earlier posts, it is a bit of a catch 22, since without any feedback, it can sometimes be difficult to understand why you are being rejected for a category. If the category is simply too big or inappropriate for a new editor, it would be so much easier if it was stated so in the rejection letter. For the record I do not think the category I applied for is too large, or inappropriate.

Hi gworld,

Can I also clarify that by "contention" I meant in terms of the guidelines of the category I was applying for, and not the "debate" itself. I surmised that perhaps there was too much confusion amongst the editors themselves to allow any new editor to take this category as it had not been substantiated what the accepted guidelines were and which sites were allowed and which should be moved. I still think this may be a valid notion. I believe *anyone* applying for that category will now sound off alarm bells, whichever ip or name they choose!:D

If you do write such a book, make sure you have a nice website to promote it... and ensure you submit that website to the correct "shopping" directory in dmoz ;) As an aside, I read that an editor once tried to sell his "position" on ebay once!

Thanks again to you all for your help and input.

alcas, May 23, 2006 IP