1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question to Directory Owners

Discussion in 'Directories' started by NaNar, Sep 2, 2008.

Ok, I have a question to directory owners....

Do people actually follow your Submission guidelines?
    I know on my directories, I delete 8 out of 10 submissions due to this. Its so frustrating and annoying. I only have about 6 or 7 directories, I can't imagine what owners that have over 10 do......

NaNar, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  2. gauravgrt

gauravgrt Peon

Best Answers:
    not everyone follows submission guidlines, its just a simple reject or delete click we have to do everyday :).

gauravgrt, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I look at it this way, if someone is too busy to follow a few simple rules then I'm too busy to list their site(s).

Don't sweat it, you don't owe submitters a free ride.

YMC, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  4. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most do not follow them, but that is why there is editing. Unless the submitted site itself has issues all the rest is just editing.

swedal, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  5. NaNar

NaNar Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I think most of the time the people that don't follow them are directory submissions services.

I have to agree with YMC, they can't follow, I'm not approving.

NaNar, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do think it can also be a matter of degrees. How badly is the submission off?

Based on the English skills of the submitter, might they not understand what I'm looking for? I also get a lot of submissions from folks who have never submitted to a directory before - particularly on Crafty Tips. Ironically, most of my delete immediately submissions come from "directory pros".

Having an extra field has proven to be the number one way to combat spammy submissions. Put keywords in the tips field - out period, end of story. Repeat your description in the tips field - out. Put a spammy list of keywords in the description - out.

But, if it looks like an honest attempt was made, I will visit the site and maybe email for the missing info.

YMC, Sep 2, 2008 IP
    templates likes this.
  7. NaNar

NaNar Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    YMC, I don't delete all, I mean if they missed a period, or left a cap out of the title, I fix.....but if I have 200+ to check in one day, I might not fix it. It's just frustrating to me....

NaNar, Sep 2, 2008 IP
    templates likes this.
  8. BDazzler

BDazzler Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not promoting mine very hard, I admit, but those who do submit have followed pretty well. Mostly honest mistakes.

BDazzler, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  9. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I delete 1/4 of all submissions without even looking at them... based on titles or descriptions. Pretty lame IMO and even disrespectful to submit a website with 16 keywords stuffed in the title and repeated in the description.

mdvaldosta, Sep 2, 2008 IP
    templates likes this.
  10. linkdor

linkdor Banned

Best Answers:
    I also delete some of them, the dummiest example:
    In my submission guidelines I've put directions on how to use deep links and not to put the main url as a deep link. Though some of the guys out there only put their main url, not even a title etc... It's frustrating when sometimes the website is really good and user helpful I don't want to delete it, simply remove errors and try to edit a little bit and then approve

linkdor, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  11. Kraize

Kraize Peon

Best Answers:
    On some of my niche directories almost all of the submissions follow the directions. However on my general directories 99%+ is complete spam that I have to delete.

Kraize, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  12. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say about 50/50 do with my sites, it's better on the higher ranking site because all links are paid.. the lowest is only a dollar but it seems to make ppl pay attention more. :)

Brandon Sheley, Sep 2, 2008 IP
    templates likes this.
  13. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    about 90% dont on my sites,but its OK..If they dont follow the guidlines,i edit or delete and refund the money

templates, Sep 2, 2008 IP
    shadey likes this.
  14. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Make your directory a pay for review directory only, and you will see the submitters following the guidelines...

snowbird, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  15. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your experience is very common, Shadey. Personally I'm more strict if I know a submission company has made the suggestion, because they really ought to know better. For everyone else, it depends how badly they have ignored the guidelines. If I have to rewrite most fields, then I have other lists of websites I can go and look at, it's not as though the submission form is my only source.

The people making these bad submissions are the same people complaining that they get nothing out of directories. But it's a case of rubbish in, rubbish out.

Obelia, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  16. kapinder

kapinder Peon

Best Answers:
    There are only a few webmasters who follow the guidelines. There is not much you can do to avoid non-serious peoples.

I do get a lot of junk matter in my 2 web directories. I simply delete them.

kapinder, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  17. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    To quell the spam subs, I on occasion have made the recip and regular subs paid.

SFOD_D223, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  18. sin2384

sin2384 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What about sites in different languages? If their title, description, keywords are not on english? Do you rather approve them or not?

sin2384, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  19. NaNar

NaNar Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Our guidelines specifically state English only. We do however approve sites that are in another language but give us the English version, and they follow rules (and the submission is in English :) )

Thanks to all for your response, glad it is just not me being too strict :)

NaNar, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  20. thefandango

thefandango Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mine is ok but I get dozens of paramacy listings submitted each day from some auto submitter!

thefandango, Sep 3, 2008 IP