1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

$125 Logo Contenst

Discussion in 'Design Contests' started by OBW123, Aug 22, 2008.

1. jokersofjoker

jokersofjoker Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    True. I totally agree with proteindude.

jokersofjoker, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  2. galm_1

galm_1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    so what's up with the contest?
    no winner as usual?

galm_1, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  3. CR70

CR70 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Here is my entry

[​IMG]

CR70, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  4. AddictedtoFate

AddictedtoFate Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    He said it goes until the 30th in the first post
    -ATF

AddictedtoFate, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  5. katesrobyn

katesrobyn Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks for the feedback:
    Here's my latest:

[​IMG]

katesrobyn, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  6. galm_1

galm_1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    He said a lot of things...

galm_1, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  7. OBW123

OBW123 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I'm going to award Anidesign the winner. Anidesign- sent you a PM. Was a hard call between Anidesign, Addictedtofate, and Cottonstella's work too. Thanks for everyone effort.

BTW proteindude, you'll have to find another thread to troll now. Good luck with that, peace.

OBW123, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  8. ASM Design

ASM Design Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well isn't this thread interesting!

I happen to agree with the contest holder in regards to some designs on this thread and the forum in general. A LOT of people need to go away and learn a little about what makes good design. How to use colour, how to use type, how to combine elements... even basic common sense sometimes. I've seen logo's that are about 400x400px in size with a load of randomly placed clipart and stolen web images all over the place and then the actual important bit i.e. the site/brand name is in tiny, illegible type making it useless and even more so if scaled down.

Some designs barely warrant feedback in my opinion, people just trying to make quick money without actually considering the brief given to them. It's embarrassing to myself as a designer to see people enter a $125 logo contest with work that took them five minutes and has NO concept behind it.

I also, however, agree with ProteinDude in regards to the courtesy of it and the fact that some of the stuff said was not constructive. ProteinDude is probably, in my view, the best contest holder on this forum in regards to continuously working with the entrants. It would be worth looking at some of his previous threads to maybe see how you can conduct your feedback to the designs which aren't to your liking.

I guess it's a mix of finding a balance of being too 'soft', thus wrongly encouraging more designs from people who simply are not going to win (why waste their time?), and being stern enough to eliminate them from the contest...

ASM Design, Aug 30, 2008 IP
    proteindude likes this.
  9. silent_thunder

silent_thunder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    [​IMG]

There can be only one winner in the contest I agree but it doesnt mean One with lesser ability should nt participate..It is threads like these that develop a designers skill set..there is nothing wrong in trying If you dont like it dont select it !! As simple as that

silent_thunder, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  10. harleen

harleen Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

harleen, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  11. ASM Design

ASM Design Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I disagree with you here... I'm not saying people should not be able to participate, that would be wrong. However, it pains me to see some of the designs on here... if you WANT to learn, then put some effort into reading around the subject to develop your skills. Looking up iconic designers, art movements etc is easy and will teach you a hell of a lot more than just ripping stuff off google image search and putting some poorly thought out type beside it. You can't expect to improve, if people are constantly pussy footing around you and not telling you the truth. People are needlessly polite these days... Sometimes the truth hurts, but makes you stronger.

If i wanted to learn to build a house, i definitely wouldn't start by trying to build someone else's for them, would you?

12. CR70

CR70 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hey ASM if you are embarrassed by other peoples creativity thats your problem. Don't knock others who try,cause i bet when you first started out in design you may have been an embarrassment to someone better than you. I think every body deserves some feed back weather to say eg: sorry not what we are looking for or hey thast's close or something along those lines. good on those who enter these competitions & don't win because they try & may even become better you.What i'm saying is let people have ago, what's the worst can happen?

CR70, Aug 30, 2008 IP
    proteindude likes this.
  13. ASM Design

ASM Design Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Read my second post.

When did I ever say for people not to enter? I'm all for people trying. I'm not for people who rip other peoples work and then try to claim a prize for it. Please don't insult me by telling me that text slapped on an image that they have no right to use is anything close to being creative.

The worst that can happen is someone filing a lawsuit against the person who uses their images without permission, or the poor person who purchases that design without knowing any better (If for some bizarre reason, something lacking any originality should win). So yes, I believe my opinion is more than valid CR70.

14. katesrobyn

katesrobyn Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    wow... u announced the winner without any feedback on our latest effort... that's courtesy.

katesrobyn, Sep 1, 2008 IP
    proteindude likes this.
  15. CR70

CR70 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    ASM: If people rip other peoples work off , yes they do deserve to get sued.
    But when you say Quote " I guess it's a mix of finding a balance of being too 'soft', thus wrongly encouraging more designs from people who simply are not going to win (why waste their time?), and being stern enough to eliminate them from the contest...'' That to me is saying don't enter in my opinion because your not good enough. If some one takes 5 minutes or five hours who cares. I'm only guessing here but for example how long do you wonder it took to draw up the nike logo, & look what it's worth. It doesn't matter if it's a $125 or a $5:00 you never know a quicky may be better than a long drawn out one. Thank you CR70.

CR70, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  16. ASM Design

ASM Design Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    CR70, that's not the point I am making - more so that IF the contest holder does not like a particular design style of an entrant, they should not encourage further work if they are confident in the knowledge that they will not be choosing their design. For me, that's common courtesy. IF, however, the entrant is just going along the wrong direction then I would argue that the contest holder should mention that, and THEN encourage another design with some additional information to help that person create something suitable.

How many times do you see entrants with wild ideas that just do not follow the brief at all? I see MANY. It's the responsibility of the entrant to READ the brief and adhere to it. If you want to go along a different path, then explain the ideas behind it.

I will also be honest with you and say that I have no sympathy for being brutally honest with some of the work on here. A lot of it is absolutely hideous design. There are a handful of designers on here who i respect, the rest I am generally bemused as how crazily atrocious some designs can be. To be honest, it makes me feel good to know I'm taking the correct path. The reason why I respect the people I do, is because they have ACTIVE interest in learning. The work has integrity, you can see that they have thought about the brief, come up with an idea and then executed it.

Let's take the entry from 'Harleen', (http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=9038084&postcount=50). Dated type with no real thought of why they have placed it in the position they have done... The words are triangulated, without any real direction. The teddy bear inside the 'O'. Firstly, I'd bet my bank account on that not being an original image. Secondly, why is it there!? What possible purpose does it serve there? It is effectively a teddy bear, inside an 'O'. Nothing less, nothing more. Then the garish pram in the background (which was rightly removed for the second entry) with some wild colour choice - It's an eyesore to focus on a background element that is luminescent... I have no guilt or hesitation to say that this is simply awful design. If someone can correct me with reasons to state otherwise, go ahead.

If, however, there was some thought in the design. If Harleen had looked up photoshop tutorials, read some books on structuring type, even studying BASIC colour selection and had applied it to how they feel it would work they would a) have a MUCH better design and b) would have learned something. Instead, its another mash-up of stolen images and bizarre colour choices which have taught them nothing. If people can't be bothered to do the simple learning, then they should seek another hobby. Do you understand where I'm coming from? Work In = Work out. Simple...

As for your comments regarding the Nike logo, how could you be so ignorant? The logo is a simplified image of the wing of the goddess 'Nike'. Considering the connotations the word 'wing' has with protection and freedom as well as others, in addition to the symbolic icon running parallel with the 'Swoosh' trademark and its association with sport, encompassing the connotations for them too. Genius really. Wouldn't you agree? Do you really think the creator just drew that up in five minutes?? It doesn't matter how simple the logo is, its justifying how you got there...

"It doesn't matter if it's a $125 or a $5:00 you never know a quicky may be better than a long drawn out one."

A "quicky" as you call it, is just that. Quick, not thought out, no meaning, predictable. Would you like to pick something of that quality if you were the contest holder? I didn't think so.

Please don't lecture me on something I know far more than yourself about. Instead go and learn like I did and then maybe one day you will be in the situation to argue/debate with me on the subject at an intellectual level, rather than an ignorant one. People who think the Nike logo was done in 5 minutes do not deserve my time.

Alex

ASM Design, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  17. galm_1

galm_1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    CR70 - How old are you?

galm_1, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  18. fais3000