1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got a question about how this works

Discussion in 'PHP' started by spacepide11, Aug 30, 2008.

I am not sure if this the right place to ask this question, but i'll give it a shot.
    I signed up for google alerts a few months ago. I received an alert about once a week, then I started getting them once every couple of days. Now I get them almost every day.

The link is usually to a page with a long list - restaurants, lswiss watch makers, etc. I asked someone about this and all he could tell me was that it looked like "a list of search engine terms. Sites will put up pages like that hoping to get Google to index them."

Now my name is on lists with obscene titles, that when clicked on bring up an XP antivirus. I hate the idea that my name is on these lists. I am looking for a teaching job (freelancing under a pen name in the meantime), and I can't afford to have a human resource person look me up and find this. Who is going to hire a teacher when her name comes up on an obscene page?

How do I stop this? What can I do? Help

spacepide11, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  2. JAY6390

JAY6390 Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to do this. Google spiders automatically and indexes pages until it finds that the page is no longer there (even then it still indexes some) :(

JAY6390, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  3. spacepide11

spacepide11 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's worrisome, but thanks for the reply. This is unethical, truly.
    Thank you again

spacepide11, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  4. JAY6390

JAY6390 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah its not the nicest, but unfortunately the web is full of information, both useful info, and just plain crap :(

JAY6390, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  5. definitely

definitely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well... even if you osmehow manage to get the name out... you won't be able to escape from the hr guy... cos the data will remain in the search engines cache for a long time...

definitely, Aug 31, 2008 IP