1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ebook advice needed please

Discussion in 'General Business' started by kiteguy123, Aug 28, 2008.

Hi guys, just looking for some quick advice.

Basically I'm going to start writing an ebook with a friend fairly soon, and need to know the answers to some questions. Please bear in mind that we will probably do a series of two or three similar ebooks, but on different topics. Anyway, the questions:

1) Is it important to have artwork? As in you see these fancy graphics with an image of a book and CD and the similar with your ebook name on, if you get what I mean? Anyway, does it matter?

2) If yes to number one, how much is it likely to cost me to get a nice one made?

3) Do I need a site to sell the ebook on? I will be advertising it on DP, and I'm guessing that's where I'll get most my business from, so is a site important?

4) How many pages should it be? I don't want to make it too long as it will get boring, but then I don't want it too short because then people wont buy it.

5) What format shall I make it into, a pdf? And if so, how do I do this?

6) Dont worry, last one. Is it a good idea to sell resell rights? So I sell it normally for $10-15, and then offer resell rights for $100. Or something like that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Rep will be given for good answers :)
    Simon

kiteguy123, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  2. satzzeichen

satzzeichen Peon

Best Answers:
    1) Yes! Gives you much more sales for your eBook.

2) Not much, there is Software what can do this.

3) Uhm... you don't need but it will give the number of eBook sales a GREAT kick ;-P.

4) Make it as short as possible =D if you can teach me how to earn $1.000.000 in 5 minutes I would also buy a one site eBook ;-).

5) pdf... just use Word or something like that. You can export to PDF.

6) If your eBook is great I wouldn't offer resell rights.

satzzeichen, Aug 28, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  3. momonari

momonari Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there a market at all for longer ebooks, with more detailed information? Pretty hard to cover a whole business model in 10 pages.

momonari, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  4. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you download Open Office for free, you will have a "writer" that's very similar to Word. You can write your ebook using that. When you are done, you simply click a button and export it to a PDF.

I have this packet of templates, which look very professional. I simply told my system to open all Word Documents as "Open Office Documents", so when I click on these templates, I am able to simply start writing. The graphics inside ebooks are simply added on from any location on your computer.

AngelaE8654, Aug 28, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  5. megacontent

megacontent Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with AngelaE8654, use Open Office and export to PDF.

megacontent, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  6. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the help guys. My friend is going to design the front, and I'm sure we'll open a site up. +rep given :D

kiteguy123, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  7. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1) Is it important to have artwork? As in you see these fancy graphics with an image of a book and CD and the similar with your ebook name on, if you get what I mean? Anyway, does it matter?
    Yes coz a lots of people judge ebook by it cover

2) If yes to number one, how much is it likely to cost me to get a nice one made?
    You can make it yourself using software

3) Do I need a site to sell the ebook on? I will be advertising it on DP, and I'm guessing that's where I'll get most my business from, so is a site important?
    Yes a site will make your ebook more professional

4) How many pages should it be? I don't want to make it too long as it will get boring, but then I don't want it too short because then people wont buy it.
    Keep it short and simple.<10 page

5) What format shall I make it into, a pdf? And if so, how do I do this?
    Use converter to convert to .PDF

6) Dont worry, last one. Is it a good idea to sell resell rights? So I sell it normally for $10-15, and then offer resell rights for $100. Or something like that?
    Yes

mentos, Aug 29, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  8. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for teh reply, mentos, rep left.
    We think that my friend will design the cover, and that we will make a site for the ebook to be sold on :)

kiteguy123, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  9. lolage

lolage Active Member

Best Answers:
    You really need an image, make it look professional. The sales wile increase by doing so.

lolage, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  10. Dan_Anderton

Dan_Anderton Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest, there is nothing more off putting than a cheap image of a book with a CD poking out and the books title splattered on it (my personal opinion). If you're going to use artwork to try and convince me to buy your book, make sure it looks professional, especially if you're trying to convince me that your book can teach me how to make $$$ quickly.

Dan_Anderton, Nov 23, 2014 IP