1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do Meta Description Tags Matter that Much?

Discussion in 'Google' started by lincolnpark, Aug 27, 2008.

I know that META keyword tags arent used anymore to rank the pages. How much do meta desciprtion tags matter to the big G?

lincolnpark, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  2. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes they do still matter. The information that is listed under your site title in a Google search is derived from your description as well as your page content. Keyword META tags don't mean a hell of a lot, but keep writing accurate META descriptions and you will improve your SERPS. Personally, I put more thought into the Title tag than either of those META tags.

christian231, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  3. Regine

Regine Member

Best Answers:
    it doesnt matter that much to G but it matters alot when it comes to CTR
    people will most like click/visit a site with a decent and professional description(as it appears in SERP) compared to a site with a spammy/poor description

Regine, Aug 27, 2008 IP
    evolveforever likes this.
  4. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    It will help with what people see when they search Google so its important that the title and description be professional

zurpit.com, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  5. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. The META description is what the searchers will be reading when they are looking at your site when it's on the Top Five of Google. :)
    You want the META title and the META description to be as clear as possible and, of course, include your keywords.

AngelaE8654, Aug 27, 2008 IP
    graphseo likes this.
  6. Surf_Dude

Surf_Dude Peon

Best Answers:
    Many have said that meta tags are dead.
    Even Guru Danny Sullivan came out against them a while back.

But I agree completely with AngelaE8654 and christian324.

Besides that, Google Webmaster Tools keeps giving me a list of my description meta tags that are "too short". I don't think that they are doing this just for drill. So I have been making them a bit longer. And philosophically, I think they are right - I made them too quickly when I made the pages. They have forced me to make better ones, for which I am thankful.

And I agree that the Title tag (not really a "meta tag") is by far the most important - brief and accurate, but not too brief, and containing the keywords found in the body text.

I also think that keyword meta tags are still important in this regard - it helps to establish credibility and theme, if the keywords used are ACCURATE. NEVER put keywords into a keyword meta tag that are NOT found in the page's body text. This has always been viewed as spamming.

Surf_Dude, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  7. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    Meta description is one of the top 5 things you should be doing for on page SEO on your site. In addition, since it is often what the searcher sees when they enter keywords for your site you want your description to be a "call to action". Make it something that will make a searcher want to click on your site.

freelistfool, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  8. tendulkar2

tendulkar2 Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes. Meta description is still very important and it's highly recommended. It helps the search engines to know better about your content.

tendulkar2, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  9. web-slinger

web-slinger Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree that the description is still important to not only rankings but as stated it is what potential leads will be reading. I usually list all my keywords, remove duplicate words and then mash it up in to something written form a marketing approach.

web-slinger, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  10. search-value

search-value Banned

Best Answers:
    Meta tags like description tags are still important for search engines & users.
    Search engines like Google (many times) shows the description tag content in its search result below the title. If your description tags is very descriptive & accurate then it will persuade the visitors to click on your site.

So we should not ignore the meta tags.

search-value, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  11. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to fully optimized your site on the SEO, every little bits of things count even though others might say meta tags has less importance now

lycos, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  12. StrongMinder

StrongMinder Banned

Best Answers:
    Meta tags are important.. very important...

StrongMinder, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  13. GP Guru

GP Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. If nothing else, they can provide a professional description of your site to search engines and the like.

GP Guru, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  14. StrongMinder

StrongMinder Banned

Best Answers:
    Meta tags are important.. very important...

StrongMinder, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  15. graphseo

graphseo Banned

Best Answers:

Yes.. I am totally agreed with Tendulkar2

graphseo, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  16. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is better to use the description meta tag. If you don't it, then google will select a description of their own choice.

So, the benefit of using the description meta tag [I think] is that we can choose what description google will show in the search results. If you do not have a good description, then you may lose some traffic.

angilina, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  17. elfsites

elfsites Peon

Best Answers:
    The description tag isn't just about how the search engine sees you. In a Google search, you get 2 lines of text from each web site displayed. If you don't have a description tag, it just shows the first 2 lines of text from the site, whatever they are. If you have a description tag it puts that instead. So it's crucial to make it so people will want to click too.

elfsites, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  18. jrw1978

jrw1978 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really sure if it affects ranking but I always make sure I have a compelling description so search engine users click on my link rather than the other websites on the results page.

jrw1978, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  19. scfc16

scfc16 Banned

Best Answers:
    They are still important so that your site has a great explanation before the viewer goes to something else. generic sites are less likely to get hits.

scfc16, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  20. yenerich

yenerich Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly.

The meta description is not for the search engine itself but for the users.

yenerich, Aug 28, 2008 IP