1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I start a blog to help market my site?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by RoyDixon, Aug 25, 2008.

I was told that I should start a blog, and this would help promote my site. 2 questions... It it true, and what's the best way to create a blog?

RoyDixon, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  2. Jeremy Kelsall

Jeremy Kelsall Peon

Best Answers:
    Is the site you are trying to promote the one in your signature?

If it is, you should take a look at how competitive the keywords are that
    you are trying to target. If there is not much competition, I would pour
    my time and energy into trying to get better SERP rankings for my
    established site.

If the keywords are fairly competitive a blog and maybe even a couple of
    other outlets such as Squidoo, blogger, and possibly a HUB might be a
    good idea just to set up a sales funnel.

What is your primary method of driving traffic to your site now?

Jeremy Kelsall, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  3. RoyDixon

RoyDixon Peon

Best Answers:
    Right now I am trying to create backlinks. I joined a couple social bookmarking sites and have published a few articles.This is all new to me, and the site is only about 45 days old. What should I be doing?

RoyDixon, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  4. Trioman

Trioman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Blogs are a great way to drive traffic to your site if you have a strong knowledge of keywords. Using the right keywords will help your blogs get good search engine rankings which will drive good traffic to your site. Also you should send your articles to as many article directories as possible. Article directories are very viral if you have great content.

Trioman, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  5. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Whoever told you that, roydixon, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Let me guess, it was one of the posters here, right? heh.

For starters, practically all users do not go to blogs. It is very hard to get visitors, compared to a regular site. And that's an understatment.

Also, you start a blog, you have to promote that one too, right? So that's two things you have to promote.

You just doubled your work.

But clueless noobies / morons with dead sites swear by it.

copper12, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  6. muzaffer786

muzaffer786 Member

Best Answers:
    You should start a blog to market your site to attract an indirect traffic to your site. Easy and free online service to start a blog is: www.blogger.com It is free and search engine friendly PR 10. Just go for it now!

muzaffer786, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  7. camp185

camp185 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could, but how would you market your blog? I think you need to work on your marketing plan a little more.

camp185, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  8. estateguy

estateguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think blogging is a waste of time.

Most blogs get little to no "real traffic" so what good is writing a article or comment (on other peoples blog)? Most blog owners don't really want links to outside sites. I have written thoughtful comments just to have them rejected because of my signature line.

You need one way links look at link_vana_ or Traffic_kahuna (without the underlines).

Find out how many backlinks your top competitor has...

Getting traffic to your blog could be just a difficult as getting traffic to your website.

estateguy, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  9. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    lol. some sweeping generalisations there? in his case I make you right, but most businesses with sites and the resources to do it properly can benefit hugely.

SEOibiza, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  10. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would knock up squidoo lens with some links back to the site. It will work wonders.

I can crank one out for you for 40 dollars.

I would further suggest working on some internal linking to internal pages via hyperlinks. Also, back link you muster up should target some internal pages or collateral keyphrases.

Hope that helps, that appears to be a fairly easy demographic.

I don't really recommend deploying a blog in this case. There is not alot of headstone news to post.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  11. estateguy

estateguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Ron,

It looks like you have a great product.
    Concentrate on a few concise keywords like: artistic monuments or personalized grave stones (remember the more simple the keyword the better).

Also ron, you need to break down your sig. line with these keywords. (like other people) no one is going to tap in all of the characters you have in your signature line.

estateguy, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  12. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I honestly think you should start a blog. Make sure it pings all the correct services ( Wordpress is best)
    Create anchor links in your blog back to your product when reviewing or commenting.

Generally a blog linked to Product site is a relaxed way of discussing product and commenting in an "unofficial" way...

If you show that you are an expert in your field , it would show through more via a blog then the actual site itself , and customers who would buy would have a flick through the blog before buying..

I havent read the threads here to see what business you are in , but best of luck dude!

Tom Thumb, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  13. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    A blog would be a great way to bring traffic to your site. If you make it good with alot of content people will come back to see what is going on with your site

zurpit.com, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  14. fr@nc!z

fr@nc!z Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, blog has dual purpose. 1) For link building and 2) promotion. Make your blog as a subpage of your domain. It will be much beneficial to your website crawling rate if the blog is a subpage of a website.

fr@nc!z, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  15. Christ

Christ Active Member

Best Answers:
    Before we start a new business we'd better focus on blog. If you have high visitors, everything could be easier to promote..

Christ, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  16. fake_lover01

fake_lover01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think their r many helping blogs

fake_lover01, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  17. wkhaiaun

wkhaiaun Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I think it will help. A place for people to leave comments and feedback. Wordpress and blogger should be ok.

wkhaiaun, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  18. MaxDickinson

MaxDickinson Peon

Best Answers:
    A blog gives you a platform to interact with your target audience - the very essence of Web 2.0
    It might not drive hordes of traffic to your site, but it can be a great idea for brand building among other things.

My advice - Go for it!

MaxDickinson, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  19. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I personally think u are just wasting time 0o instead you can write articles for someone elses blog and make money + earn backlinks

Dreads, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  20. GP Guru

GP Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    A blog for your website can be useful for the following reasons:

1. It certainly increases your web footprint, especially if it's a site subdomain or subdirectory.
    2. It allows you to inform users of changes, offers, developments etc. This can build up a rapport with users.
    3. If you try hard enough, you can sneak in a link back to your site in most posts!
    4. If you write some top 10 lists, pros and cons articles etc related to your keywords (assuming that they are well chosen!), it can drive indirect traffic to your site.
    5. Depending on the topic, if you have a good writing style, you might get people reading your blog regularly. You could take advantage of this in several ways, e.g. by placing AdSense on your blog.

The downside is that it is more work, but still a lot less than putting a forum on your site and moderating that! You can get others to write short keyword targetted articles for your blog for a small fee. This negates point 5 above, but is easier on you!

I use a blog for my website (relevant plug: Golf Predictor) and it absolutely increases my visibility with search engines, if nothing else. This is important for me as only the 9 public pages of my site are indexed. Given the nature of my site, I need to communicate regularly with users anyway, so I need a blog regardless.

HTH

GP Guru, Aug 27, 2008 IP