1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"I know a few good pr5 links is just as good as 100 pr3 links..." T F, or U?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Whane, Aug 26, 2008.

I was doing a search for PR and found this statement:

"I know a few good pr5 links is just as good as 100 pr3 links so what ever is easier."

The context of the statement was relative to getting his own site PR up, not necessarily higher SERPS.

In my own search, I have found no definitive *facts* on this commonly held belief. I'm not saying it isn't true, I'm just saying it is a widely held belief but one that has yet to proved. What do you think, true, false, or still uncertain?

Whane, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  2. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well it depends. But I believe the most important is getting few good links rather than having a lot but with no quality. What I mean with quality is that first it is related to your site ie. same niche and second high PR and traffic. That way, the vote counts the most.

lycos, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  3. eugie17

eugie17 Peon

Best Answers:
    the quality from SERP point of view will depend on (for a page that gives you a link)

1- What PR the page Has
    2- What do Anchor text in your link says
    3- The subject of the page that has the link or how relevant it is to you keywords
    4- What do the anchor text of links pointing to this page say, and how powerful are they
    5- how many pages are there in the whole website that has the page and links from them to that page and anchor

I can say there is a value for each point of the above and the multiplication of them will give you the power sum for SERP i.e. to rank for a keyword

eugie17, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  4. DoOoM

DoOoM Active Member

Best Answers:
    We are talking about PR here only. Right?
    Theoritically 100 pr3 links can make a much greater PR boost than 5 pr5 links can for sure. But it all depends on the pages you have your links on. Even 1 pr3 page can pass more pagerank than 1 pr5 page if the pr5 one is full with outbound links and the pr3 one - clean.

DoOoM, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  5. eugie17

eugie17 Peon

Best Answers:
    the PR is based on exponent of 8
    So pure PR is passed like this
    PR5 = 8 x PR4 = 64 x PR3 and so on

but we are talking about SERP which is more important and its the ultimate goal of having PR

eugie17, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  6. Rblakney

Rblakney Peon

Best Answers:
    Where did you get that exponent of 8 theory? I have never heard of it before... of course I am realatively new to this.

Rblakney, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  7. eugie17

eugie17 Peon

Best Answers:
    eugie17, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  8. DoOoM

DoOoM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Who told you we are talking about serps when the thread is about PR?

DoOoM, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  9. Ideastone

Ideastone Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the smart thing to consider is the "few good" part of the statement. To me, a "good" link is one that has the right anchor text on a page that isn't complete junk. For example, submitting to a directory might be good, but only if the directory is indexed and hopefully not penalized. Also, that link might only be useful if it has the proper anchor text. So, PR in reality is one of the last things to look at, not the first.

Ideastone, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  10. eugie17

eugie17 Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with you it will be stupid to get PR with no anchor and keyword to optimize for. PR is important factor but its not the only thing to consider.

eugie17, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  11. alexanderberson

alexanderberson Peon

Best Answers:
    It is really hard to find someone with high page rank to link to you.

Usually easier to get lower page ranks and lots of them

alexanderberson, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  12. atticus1

atticus1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is how I determine my link targets:

1. Is the page closely relevant to the keyword I am targeting
    2. The less links outbound the better.
    3. The Page Rank

I do not think page rank is really as important as it is made out to be. I just don't think Google shares its ranking system ultimately. I look for sites that rank well for the term I am targeting.

And also, a page rank of 3 today, could be a page rank of 6 in twelve months, so go out and get all of them, the PR3s and the PR5s. :cool:

atticus1, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  13. tendulkar2

tendulkar2 Banned

Best Answers:
    No. I don't think so.. For me, backlinks from 100 PR3 sites is far better than links from a couple(or 5) PR5 sites.
    And also, it depends on the relevancy of those sites to your site.

tendulkar2, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  14. Whane

Whane Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, no. :/ I was talking about PR only and even made it a point to say "The context of the statement was relative to getting his own site PR up, not necessarily higher SERPS." I said this because I wanted to avoid turning a PR topic into a SERP topic. This about PR, not SERP or the effect of PR.

My interest in posting this question was to learn more about how PR is passed and how that PR affects the PR of those sites linked to, nothing else.

That said, do you have a reference for the base theory 5,8, or 10 that you presented? I'm not saying I don't believe you, only that since you present it as fact, and since there is so much speculation relating to this topic, I would much prefer to have access to sources... if possible.

Perhaps we could team up and experiment. We could create a couple of sites relating to the same subject then create backlinks to both, site 1 with only PR3 links and site 2 with only PR5 links. Then compare the two at various link counts (also consider total number of links per page the backlink appears on). Bah, sounds like too much work, but it could be useful, at least until another algo alteration.

Whane, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  15. micahman80

micahman80 Guest

Best Answers:
    Could be true...depends on relevancy and quality. Also, if your PR5 page has 4 million other links on it, Google won't much care about the link!

micahman80, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  16. micahman80

micahman80 Guest

Best Answers:
    Does this seem backwards to anyone else? I would take a #1 ranking over a PR100. Yes, that's 100 :)

Seriously. Why would anyone say to themselves, "I'm not really concerned where Google puts me in the search results...as long as I have a high page rank"??? "No relevant traffic...no sales...but, heck that PR6 on my site is sweet!"

Baffling...

micahman80, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  17. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually it is not a base system, it is more logarithmic. Much like the Richter Scale used to measure earthquakes.

Another thing to remember is that PR is finite. There is the same amount of PR going around today, as there was 3, 5, or even 7 years ago.

Since PR is finite, everyone's PR shrinks a little every single day. As more website pages get added into the index at Google, the PR gets dispersed appropriately.

Dodger, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  18. purdue512

purdue512 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting discussion dudes...

I see plenty of low PR sites that do great on specific SERP. To me, SERP is way more important than PR. That being said, I do always glance at the PR as a quick snapshot of the site's power.

In the end, I believe that every link count. Some just count more than others. No doubt that the more closely related to your theme, the better...

purdue512, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  19. eugie17

eugie17 Peon

Best Answers:
    forgive my language "We are talking about the SERP", that many ppl thought I was refering to the thread subject while I meant that the SERP is the important actually the PR is logarithmic and I read it in an SEO book long ago, you can see it also in some sites like

http://www.cheap-hosting-domain.info/seo/all-about-pagerank.html

eugie17, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  20. MRniceGuy007

MRniceGuy007 Peon

Best Answers:
    it's unknown but in algorithmic terms base exponents tend to have a limit to reach the next level. so a PR5 must have a decent equal number of PR3 to attain it's levelness with them.

MRniceGuy007, Aug 27, 2008 IP