1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should the motto "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by C a s p e r, Aug 20, 2008.

1. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    PHP, it isn't a big deal, at least not to me. What is more a big deal to me is to ascribe this to "the far left," or "a tiny minority." There is a good deal in the above that shows this entire thing is constructed after the fact, and not within the letter, and by many criterion, spirit of the Constitution.

northpointaiki, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  2. jkjazz

jkjazz Peon

Best Answers:
    How long is long enough?

How old are you? Has it been there all your life?

jkjazz, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  3. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    Do you honestly feel that because this is on the money that this is requiring you to believe the way that christians believe? Because I believe that it would be a more accurate interpretation of "seperation of church and state". The reason that was included in there was only because the place we originally had those types of mandates, not because there were pictures or slogans lying around government buildings that were "imposing" on their choices. I see a significant difference. Would you agree?

PHPGator, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  4. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    PHP, quite honestly, I simply agree with James Madison and Thomas Jefferson on this entire notion. Not that it makes for sleepless nights, or otherwise makes my skin crawl, but I simply see a cockamamie disconnect.

5. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Entirely irrelevant. The point is it hasn't "been on the currency since it began".

And even if it had always been there, Which it hasn't, that doesn't negate the fact that it is inappropriate and unconstitutional.

These are my points.
    1. Not everyone in America believes in god, So it's actually a lie.
    2. Those who do not believe in a god shouldn't finance the printing of religious phrases, Especially considering the fact that religious groups are tax exempt.

Theodore Roosevelt had the right idea, He called it "sacrilegious" to have the name of god on something as material and tacky as money. Something which present day christians would say if they had any class or dignity and spent as much time practicing their religion as they do trying to shove i down everyone else's throats.

stOx, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  6. jkjazz

jkjazz Peon

Best Answers:
    Peter Anderson says:

Then you say:

Then I say:

Then you say:

It has been there my entire life. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

If it makes you feel any better, just alienate yourself so that "We" doesn't refer to you. Just keep it up you're doing a pretty good job.

I like it. I vote we keep it.

I think you're just a Christian hater. Nobody likes a hater. Come on, man. Learn a little tolerance. You're just thrilled that the gay movement gets to cram all their shit down my throat. Come on, suck it up, try setting a good example here. Show me how it's done.

jkjazz, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  7. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have to alienate myself, I'm English, We have the great Charles Darwin on our money, the man who kicked biblical creation to death and threw it in the trash where it belongs. Bye bye primitive myth, hello good solid science.

Tolerance is about respecting everyone, You are perfectly entitles to scrawl tasteless phrases over anything you own, But to force atheists to finance the printing of religious phrases is not acceptable. See, This is the problem with the religious, They aren't happy sitting in their tax exempt churches, They aren't content with polluting their own minds with lies and misinformation and they aren't content with just themselves believing something. What the religious want is for everyone to be forced to respect it and forced to participate in it. This is why people oppose it, Because they shouldn't be forced to do something or pay for something on the grounds that you happen to believe it.

Let me ask you, Would jesus want "in god we trust" on something as tasteless as money? This is what is so sad, To the christians this isn't about their religion, It isn;t about respect and it isn't about their god, it's about nothing more than them getting their own way. jesus would be proud... sorry, Not proud, Whats the word i'm looking for? Oh that's it, Disgusted.

stOx, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  8. rah1010

rah1010 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think we have far greater issues than this.

rah1010, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  9. jkjazz

jkjazz Peon

Best Answers:
    Ha! Now I get to laugh at you. After all this shit you've been laying down and we find out you are english? Ha your opinion doesn't even count.

What a freakin joke.

Come on St0x. Be tolerant. Show us how you respect those nice Christians. Suck it up. You can do it. Now not another word from you until you say you're sorry to the nice Christian. You don't want to be a hater, now do you?

Ha! Go away little boy.

jkjazz, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  10. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You could have laughed earlier if you had the sense to read the location field in every one of my posts, Or did you not know where London is?

You should be careful continuously claiming this is a christian issue, Because the only reason it has not been considered unconstitutional by the courts is because they said it wasn't anything to do with christianity. So is this a christian issue?

stOx, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  11. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    To be fair, he probably knows more about our constitution than most Americans.

LogicFlux, Aug 25, 2008 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  12. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't agree. I do think it's helpful to get a considered opinion from other people, and other nations. If he is right, he is right; if wrong, wrong, and it doesn't matter where he comes from.

Personally, as I've said, I don't really give a damn - though it does irk me to be labelled a leftist freak if I very much believe these things - the things James Madison and Thomas Jefferson themselves decried - are not properly in the public sphere, under the public weal.

I also think it would be cool to have Darwin on our currency. I'd also like to toss in about a dozen great masters of art, in all its forms.

13. AltaMind

AltaMind Active Member

Best Answers:
    101 Tips to make a long forum thread:

#9 - Discuss religion.

AltaMind, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  14. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We only have one arty type on our money; Edward William Elgar the composer on our £20. On the £5 we have Elizabeth Fry who worked to improve prison conditions and on the £50 we have John Houblon, The first governor of the bank of England. Last year Elgar made way to Adam Smith though, A philosopher who pioneered the idea of divided labour in manufacturing and is said to be the father of free market economics. He is seen on the note next to an image depicting the division of labour in pin manufacturing.

darwin on the 10

stOx, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  15. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Several years ago, while working for a regional brewery in Chicago, my wife and I actually won a trip to England - the "World Beer Tour" grand prize - 4 days in London, several weeks in Chipping Norton, Hook Norton, Oxfordshire, and environs, all the way to Yorkshire. Time of our life. Have to say, I loved the look of your money. And the mind-blowing regionalisms a mere hour or so apart - being called "duck" in Stoke-on-Trent, "love" in EC4....

16. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not about the Second Amendment.

I like Stox's sharing his views and opinions, but he is out of his league when he decided to tell us Yank's what our Second Amendment was all about.

On this issue, I don't think it should be on the money, but I don't really care that much. Too many issues of far greater importance.

browntwn, Aug 25, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  17. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    Always get a kick out of new people who into Politics and Religion then try to poke fun at religious discussions as if this wasn't the place for them.

Anyway, America was founded by great men who were religious and are still led by great men (haha! my funny) who are religious.

These people make the laws and dictate what gets printed on the dollar.

Throw political correctness out the window.

If you don't like it, tough shit - end of story.

That was hilarious.

aletheides, Aug 26, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  18. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1 U.S. dollar = 1.04980043 Canadian dollars ;)

bogart, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  19. jkjazz

jkjazz Peon

Best Answers:
    St0x, I have never claimed that this is a Christian issue. I just like it there because it has been there all my life and I see no reason to change it.

Our discussions in this thread have been about your lack of tolerance, and your hate issues. NorthPointe and I discussed morals for a bit.

No, St0x might be knowledgable, but he has no standing.

St0x likes to preach tolerance to everybody in this forum, and then accuses us of us of cramming religion down his throat using "In God we trust". To make his case even less relevant, we discover that he doesn't ever see a U.S. dollar, but still finds ways to be offended by it.

jkjazz, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  20. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, nothing should matter - on any issue on the forum - but the merits of the argument. Personality, nationality, political allegiances, whatever the individual's "makeup" is, if they say something sound, it merits consideration. If they're right, it merits approbation, and wrong, critique - both, with specifics as to why.

I'm an atheist, though I don't share Stox's charge over religion generally; that said, I believe he has informed and credible points to make, and I respect his right to a good faith appraisal of his arguments. I guess, for me, worrying over the "why" of people making their points is always a sticky wicket. What matters is what's on the page.

northpointaiki, Aug 26, 2008 IP