1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog Experiment - Going From Zero To $25 Per Day

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by JoeMack, Aug 14, 2008.

1. zk5182

zk5182 Active Member

Best Answers:
    thats great keep us updated

zk5182, Aug 24, 2008 IP
  2. R.O.M.

R.O.M. Peon

Best Answers:
    I find that making money from blogging isn't as easy as it sounds. I'll use your experiences to help me on my own attempt to make money online! :) TY

R.O.M., Aug 24, 2008 IP
  3. Forcefield

Forcefield Peon

Best Answers:
    True, but a good challenge is always fun! :)

Forcefield, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  4. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi JoeMack,

Thank you for the insightful experiment.

1) First, I have to say, it always worries me when someone uses Wordtracker, wordpacker or any other FreeCoolKeywordTracker tool. I only trust two sources of Keyword research and they are Google Adwords Keyword Tool and YPN Tool.

2) As you noted, your biggest mistake was thinking that "what is gabapentin used for" would get 1440 DAILY views from Google. :eek: :eek: when the truth is that it gets only 590 monthly views!

3) Also I am disgusted about the people who preach Bum Marketing telling others that they should put the search phrase in quotes. In order to explore your niche you have to do what your potential visitor would do. Think the way he would think.

Now, how often you have quoted search phrases you're looking for? Eh? I, personally, quote only when I am desperate and cannot find what I'm looking for.

If you follow Bum Marketing methods, you will rank #1 for the phrase in quotes. The problem is that you won't get much (or you won't get any) traffic from being on #1 spot because people don't use quotes to find websites on that particular topic...

4) Bum Marketing books and guides are shared online for free. Why would anyone give information away if it would have potential of making good cash?

5) So, for your next experiment, use Google Adwords to check the competition and search volume and be prepared to spend more time and effort.

P.S. In one of your previous updates you wondered if your competitors got some powerlinks. You can always check it using Yahoo Siteexplorer. If you have SeoQuake, sort the Siteexplorer results by PageRank or by Alexa and you will see what Power-sites link to your competitors. Once you have good content, approach them and see if they would also link to you.

Good luck!

tankard, Aug 25, 2008 IP
    bangalore likes this.
  5. JoeMack

JoeMack Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Tankard....

I woke up just a few minutes ago (late night), so my eyes are kind of blurry. I thank you for your response, but I will have to respectfully disagree on a few points.

You said that since there are free bum marketing ebooks available, than that means that the method is not profitable. There are tons of free ebooks on SEO, PPC, and just about every other topic. None of those have "the potential for making good cash"?

You do know that marketers create and give away free ebooks (on all sorts of topics) for a variety of reasons (namely to have it spread around the net and make future profits on the links in those free reports). That's a very basic marketing strategy.

And it always blows my mind that people can get the whole using quotation marks in the Google search box so wrong.

Here's why you SHOULD use quotation marks:

Obviously most people don't use quotation marks when they are searching (for the most part). But you aren't doing research, you are trying to determine your true competition.

Let's say that you want to determine the competition for the keyword phrase: fast sports cars

Now, if you don't put that phrase in quotes inside the Google search box, you will get the results for webpages that have ANY of those individual words. So you will get results on: fast weight loss, high school sports, police cars, and on and on. Is that really competition?

But if you place the phrase inside of quotes, then you will get the webpages that only have that exact phrase ("fast sports cars"). And to me, that's true competition.

If you create a webpage optimized for the keyword phrase "fast sports cars", you should be able to outrank the pages on fast pain relief, Italian sports heros, and the musical group "The Cars". All of these would have come up as competition without using quotes.

And as for putting in more time and effort. I guess you missed the part about this being an experiement outside of my daily online activities. Sure, if I had all day to focus on this one blog, I guess I would have done it differently. But that just isn't the case.

So like I said. I appreciate your input, but I don't agree with it.

Joe

P.S. I'm off to delete those forex, real estate investing, and credit repair ebooks that I downloaded for free. There's obviously no money to be made in those markets.

JoeMack, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  6. cheeky002

cheeky002 Peon

Best Answers:
    anywhere close to the goal yet?

cheeky002, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  7. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    great post. Thanks for sharing this info

zurpit.com, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  8. megadeth199

megadeth199 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing this with us

megadeth199, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  9. Jeremy Kelsall

Jeremy Kelsall Peon

Best Answers:
    Joe Definitely knows what he is talking about. I've read quite a bit of his postings in other places and he is a solid guy with a ton of knowledge.

Good info as always Joe.

Jeremy Kelsall, Aug 25, 2008 IP
    drummer05 likes this.
  10. footodors

footodors Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had a subscription to wordtracker and thought it was great.
    Then I found the adwords tool!:eek:
    Wordtracker is off by factors of 10 on a lot of keywords.
    It's not much better than guessing to me and at $60/month I can guess too.
    I was going to contact them for an explanation of the wide variance, but the heck with it, I just cancelled it.

Try your experiment using adwords tool, then you will have a fighting chance!

footodors, Aug 25, 2008 IP
  11. tankard

Best Answers:
    Hi Joe, I respect your opinion but I still maintain that bum marketing is not the best idea. About the quotation marks... I know why one should use quotation marks - that's not the issue.

I'm just saying that bum marketing doesn't meet its goal - "to provide quick cash without an investment".

If you research your potential keyphrases ONLY by entering them in quotes, you are neglecting the possible millions of pages you are going to compete with in the real life.

For example, I found a great keyphrase about a certain entertainment gadget (not an MP3 player). Yuuhuu, I said, I'll give it a go because 5000 people do search for this phrase - let's say "how to connect this gadget" and if I search for it in quotes, there are ONLY 5 guides with the exact phrase and, come on, I can write a better guide, because I have had this connected to my car recently!!!

I stormed EZA with 5 articles and posted rewrites to other 3 popular article directories, followed the free e-book guidelines about posting to advertisement networks. Voila! I am #1 for "how to connect this gadget" still I get no traffic, zero, nada! Because when searching without quotes, I am in the 5th page because established sites about "how to connect with UFO" and "Extraterrestrial Gadget" are all above me because of backlinks. And so they will remain unless I put more effort than that of two lazy afternoons. (How lucky I didn't spend more time)

So, what I want to say is that bum marketing cannot provide you with quick cash. It can be used as a long term strategy to build reputation and gain traffic in 6 months but then I don't have to call it bum marketing - it's just my usual strategy + some article marketing.

I haven't seen your books, mate. However, if it is Wiley, fat chance is you've downloaded an illegal copy and if it is not, you might as well delete those free Forex books :D

Call it a prejudice but I still think that majority (not all, of course) of free books are made of a bit of truth and a bit of cr**.

I bet there is. It just depends on the books and most importantly, depends on the character of a person who tries to make money in these markets. At this stage, knowing me, I wouldn't try Forex because I am too much of a gambler, which I think is dangerous.

Anyway, thank you for the discussion. I always follow your threads with great interest!

Right on! Adwords is the best, although even “he” tends to exaggerate in some cases. Luckily I didn't pay Wordtracker any money (took a free trial). I already sent them a message discussing a niche I am very familiar with, shown them examples, tables, stats, etc. I cannot wait to hear the answer :D

tankard, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  12. JoeMack

JoeMack Peon

Best Answers:
    Tankard,

Who ever said that bum marketing's goal is to provide quick cash without an investment? Bum marketing is generally used to promote affiliate programs, and even if you made a sale the first day, you'd still have to wait until next month to get paid. Who said it would happen quickly?

And yes, the object is to get to the top of Google without quotes. Honestly, I really don't think that you have studied bum marketing enough to dismiss it so easily. You stormed EZA with 5 articles? That's the extent of your bum marketing experience? That's barely starting.

I'll use this blog experiment as an examle. When my article written around the keyword "what are the side effects of gabapentin" was on the first page of Google (spot #4), that was searching WITHOUT quotes (which is how the normal website visitor would type it in).

It ranked #4 out of 3,500,000 results within 48 hours. Why? Because my true competition (searching WITH the quotes) was only 7 webpages. I easily outranked all those other pages because they were not as relevant to my specific keyword prase.

Now, if my daily search counts had been accurate, I would have seen a lot of traffic.

But understanding the whole QUOTES or NO QUOTES concept is what got me to the first page of Google. This concept is misunderstood by so many people.

I failed because my keyword phrases had little demand, not because of the bum marketing strategies I was using.

Best wishes,

Joe

P.S. I was being sarcastic about deleting the free ebooks. Come on...distributing free ebooks is Internet Marketing 101. There are a lot of good reasons to provide valuable content, and then give it away.

Let me give you an example:

Let's say that someone just came out with an incredible keyword research tool. It costs $100, and the owner has set up an affiliate program offering affiliates a 75% commission.

So a savvy marketers writes up this step by step, detailed plan on how to use that keyword research tool to make $2000 per month. He goes all out. Does case studies, gets plenty of screenshots, uses video to explain how to use the keyword research tool.

And then he gives it away for free.

Why? Because being free, it will distribute throughout the internet quicker. I mean, this package is on the same level as products priced in the $37-$67 range. It's not crap. It's very high quality.

So how does the marketer make money?

From the affiliate program. All through his product, he has several links back to the keyword research tool (his affiliate link actually).

The better job he does at explaining how to use the keyword tool, the greater the chance that people will be interested and buy through his affiliate link (and getting his $75 commissions along the way).

So just because I have a free forex ebook, doesn't mean its an illegal copy or that its crap information. Because it is not either one. The marketer who wrote it is just trying to make affiliate commissions.

Make sense?

Joe

JoeMack, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  13. JoeMack

JoeMack Peon

Best Answers:

Hey Jeremy,

Good to see you here. You'll find a wealth of info on DP. I spend hardly any time at WF anymore.

Hey everyone! Jeremy is a marketer that has successfully used bum/article marketing to do fairly well online. It wasn't "quick", but as I recall, it was just a couple of months before he was making a fulltime income with it. He definitely knows his stuff.

Best wishes,

Joe

JoeMack, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  14. Bill22

Bill22 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is getting more interesting day by day

Bill22, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  15. Bill22

Bill22 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I'm cancelling Wordtracker at the end of the month...$60/month is really greedy

Bill22, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  16. SophieM

SophieM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice idea! I will definitely be following your progress!!

SophieM, Aug 26, 2008 IP
  17. tankard

Best Answers:
    Hi Joe,
    The guy who advocates this method said that. Let me show an excerpt from his report: "and for a couple hours work...she'll get checks for months...maybe even years to come!" NONSENSE!

I can give you an update (sorry, it almost feels like hijacking your thread but I just think it might help somebody) The phrase I was targeting. Now one of my EZA articles is #1 without quotes, my affiliate site has seen only 6 page views. SIX :D

I got my pal to test his software business with bum marketing. He's writing reviews and doing some real sales from his online shop + doing some affiliate marketing. He did more work than I did and he just got a $0.32 click from Adsense :) He's over the moon! I now owe him a pint of ale because he wasted lots and lots of time reading the free ebook and doing the bum marketing...

Makes sense absolutely. It got me thinking. I've written this e-book on a certain niche about selling real products (not reports or get-rich-quick) online. I felt like selling the book but now I will definitely rethink what I want to do with it.

tankard, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  18. DrAnujGupta

DrAnujGupta Peon

Best Answers:
    it is going up slow but great way to earning.

DrAnujGupta, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  19. DomainCo.US

DomainCo.US Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great thread, are you even halfway near your goal? More power!

DomainCo.US, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  20. lovexy

lovexy Peon

Best Answers:
    great info,thx

lovexy, Aug 27, 2008 IP