1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Moving to a macintosh.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by obay, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand what you meant by this. I've always used a Mac (two of them: iMac and MacBook Pro) and am very active on DP. Webmastering, SEO, etc., do not depend on whether you use a Mac or a PC.

I hear that said all the time. But over the past two decades of Mac use, I've never been unable to find the needed Mac software.

Jim4767, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  2. MadBox

MadBox Peon

Best Answers:
    I honestly don't understand why folks get so fired up with the whole Apple vs Microsoft thing. Why do so many Mac users hate Windows so much and vice-versa?...

MadBox, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  3. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Mac users dont hate Windows users - we feel sorry for them.
    Windows users hate Mac users because they deal with windows problems on a daily basis (the average user) yet fear the change that is necessary to move to a Mac ..

Tearabite, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  4. 3motions

3motions Peon

Best Answers:
    No, the reason Windows users hate Mac users is because they're pretentious jerks and think that they're untouchable when it comes to their OS.

You know why most people switch to Macs?

Because they're in that category of ignorant PC users that constantly get themselves infected. And when they go and spend $200 at a computer repair shop so that the techs can go in and wipe away all of the retarded things the user has downloaded, they realize that it's a losing battle when it comes to knowing what they're doing at a computer. Therefore, they switch to something that nobody writes malware code for because (like a post said above) nobody is going to write malware for a computer that isn't used as much as a regular PC is.

And to whoever said Mac was better for designing ... By what grounds? I see colors on my Windows machine just like you do on your Mac. What makes the Mac so much better for designing that the PC can't handle?

3motions, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  5. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Probably the tie breaker for me was the Mac's user-friendliness. When I was using a PC, I was frequently having to call a friend who was a PC expert to get help resolving problem after problem. With the Macs, there's nothing that comes up that I can't solve myself. (And there are very, very few problems.)

Jim4767, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  6. stompergames

stompergames Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a Windows user, and I'm fine with people using Macs. I do, however, also despise pretentious Mac users who spew brainwashed mumbo jumbo instead of objective facts.

Neither Windows nor OS X are better for designing websites.. other things, such as a dual-monitor setup, are much more important.

For example, it is not necessary to spend up to twice as much on a Mac just because you can't figure out what right-click does. It is necessary if you prefer the OS X operating system or the place you work requires Macs.

No substance. How is it better? Is it more usable? To some yes, to some no. Does it have more features? Depends on what kind of user you are. Less viruses? Less users. It is not more secure, it just doesn't have as large of a user base. Larger user base = more potential hackers.

Build your own for cheaper.
    Build Your Own Mac Mini

yeah like stompergames said! MACS SUCK!! Less programs work for it, much more expensive than windows laptops, feeding steve jobs more money

stompergames, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  7. Tearabite

Best Answers:
    *smiling*... and nodding head...

8. stompergames

stompergames Peon

Best Answers:
    Louis c'mon I was actually trying to be objective here. Tearabite, instead of just responding to a decent discussion with little substance and a smug sense of satisfaction, how about you actually say something and back up your words?

stompergames, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  9. tastysites

tastysites Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    *sigh* I've used both, and enjoy both...both have pros & cons.

I may as well ask do you like pepsi or coke ... does it really matter, as long as you're not thirsty right after drinking one? LOL

~tasty

tastysites, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  10. Tearabite

Best Answers:
    Nothing I can say will change the mind of an avid Windows user/Mac hater.. I guess it boils down to us all choosing what is best for each of us. I have made my choice - and i'm happy with it.

Also, FWIW, for many years I myself was a Mac-basher - often saying things like "Macs are for people too stupid to use a real computer" .. i'm also a Windows "professional" (far, far above the 'average' Windows user).. For ME, it all changed one day while fussing around updating my antivirus (or antispyware, i dont remember) when it hit me: "who's stupid"? ME, the Windows user, always fussing with Windows "issues" or those smug Mac users, spending all of their time USING their computers ?

For me, once i realized there was a better way, and once i got over my fear (it really was fear), i've never turned back and never been more pleased..

11. mshore

mshore Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been a regular Mac user for just over a year now and, while I don't spend a ton of time on the Mac, I do enjoy the system and I am finally starting to get used to the quirks that it has from Windows. That being said I still use Windows for the majority of my work as there are just some things I can't do as well on Mac as I can on PC. I also recommend loading Boot Camp up and making a Windows partition so you can have them both on the same system.

mshore, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  12. Dr_Brad

Dr_Brad Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer Windows but I heard Macs were good:cool:

Dr_Brad, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  13. HiddenCrimson

HiddenCrimson Peon

Best Answers:
    I kinda want a mac but I really don't have the money right now.

HiddenCrimson, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  14. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Da speed and quality of Windows can be compaired to some one crawling across da country, while da speed and quality of a Mac can be compaired to some one flying across da country in an airplain! :D:D *Troll alert.* :D:D

Nintendo, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  15. rockinfuture

rockinfuture Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats for your MAC. Macintosh is no doubt is very good but windows is also not bad. I am using 4 systems of windows. I hardly face any kind of problem. No spyware, malware, virus or any software or hardware problem. No not at all... Every system is running absolutely fine. I think you were unlucky in this respect as you got some problems with that piece... :)

rockinfuture, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  16. Jon1771

Jon1771 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got a 24" iMac a few weeks ago, and it was the best thing I did. Yesterday me and my friend were sat next to each other, him on a windows machine and me on the Mac, and we had to see who could turn on the computer, get to a website, copy and print a section of text and then turn the computer off. I had turned my computer off and my friend was not even on the windows OS because he has to keep rebooting etc.

Get a Mac and you can earn so much more money, because you save so much time

Looks like we have a windows user here who is venting his anger at having to update his antivirus every hour :p

Jon1771, Aug 23, 2008 IP
    Tearabite likes this.
  17. stompergames

stompergames Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, mine auto-updates in the background :). And again, I've never gotten a virus or spyware.. it's all about smart habits. Anyways, I am not angry at Macs or OS X or Windows.. I had to use Macs for at least hour of every day for a month. I thought it was a decent operating system but I didn't see anything there that really wowed me or made me wish I had a Mac. So when I see a Mac user that talks about Macs like they only watched the commercials, I wonder, Why? Why do you think that it's such an amazing astounding better-than-Windows operating system? It just want to see both sides of the coin here.

stompergames, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  18. Tearabite

Best Answers:
    .... for the last ~18 years I have been "the computer guy" where I work, EVERY DAY, people come to me complaining and begging for help with their home PC's .. these are average users, and 99% of the time, their problems are rooted in virii or spyware, or both - If these average users had a Mac, they would not have these problems and would leave me alone.

sure, the advanced users dont have these issues (they have other issues to deal with like broken registries and DLL issues..not problems in OS X) - but the average user, like grandma, or the guy that just wants to surf the net and get email, would be better-off using a Mac..

i'm just sayin..

Tearabite, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  19. rush123456

rush123456 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i AM SURE YOU LL LOVE THE GRAPHICS IN IT.

rush123456, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  20. 3motions

3motions Peon

Best Answers:
    Why is it that I've had a Sony VAIO PC for almost four years now and never once have I had problems with viruses, spyware, adware, "DLL problems," or broken registries? I crawl around every inch of the web and have yet to be infected by anything.

Must I also mention that I've not once used an Anti-virus program since I've began using computers? Be smart about what you do with your computer and you won't have to go begging your smug, pretentious "computer guy" at your job for questions and tips on how to make your computer better.

Congratulations on your love for the Mac. But stop with your condescending attitude towards Windows users. You say it's all free choice, well, shut up about it and let people choose to either wreck their PCs or switch to something that's built for ignorant people who can't properly visit a website without noticing an advertisement on the side saying they're infected and they need to install WinAntiVirus 2009.

3motions, Sep 2, 2008 IP