1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why buy domain names?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by daremkd, Aug 22, 2008.

I mean, why pay $500 for some "good domain name" when you can invent your own and spend those $500 for let's say buying a website that has already traffic?

The #1 video site is YouTube not online-videos.com
    The #1 social networking site is myspace not communicatefriends.comf
    The #1 picture site is flickr not pictures.com

Its about branding not generic domain names. I think that these days the whole domain buying/selling industry, at least 90% is a big scam.

daremkd, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  2. shankerbakshi

shankerbakshi Peon

Best Answers:
    Great !!! I will never spend this much of amount for buying a Domain.

My site niche is Make money online Still the domain is Shanker bakshi dot com

shankerbakshi, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  3. Ruperz

Ruperz Peon

Best Answers:
    because not all good domain names are available.

Ruperz, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  4. GingerApple

GingerApple Peon

Best Answers:
    Someone is much more likely to remember a name that is short and comprises of words that are easy to understand. Eventually even all the half decent names will be sold out

Picture the scenario: You've bought 20 seconds of prime TV advertising time. You don't want to spend 10 seconds of it saying 'Just log on to www.thisisaverylongdomainnameforourcompany.com!". Plus no one would remember it ;)

The more people that remember your name = the more people that visit it = the more money made

GingerApple, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  5. roynston

roynston Banned

Best Answers:
    well said, its all about how creative yr domain name is, and how well ur doing its branding. that makes ur business going....like digg.com tinypic.com or whatever...its all about branding and remembering abilities of the name.

roynston, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  6. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Good points, but they focused on the "brand name" approach and came up with something unique and easy to remember.

Buying a keyword rich domain name (the shorter the better) applies to a different approach to the "value of a name", in terms of the domain.

Just a different approach to things.

usasportstraining, Aug 22, 2008 IP
    toby likes this.
  7. hibernate

hibernate Peon

Best Answers:
    I respectfully disagree. A "branded" keyword rich domain name lends authority to the site.
    I know of a colleague who just paid $25,000 for a domain name that had zero traffic from the USA as it was hosted in Korea and entirely in Korean. He has rebranded it, made the site in English, and is now the top site in his niche ranking #1 in Google for his keyword.

hibernate, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  8. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    this reminds me of the HOMER Security team (in the Simpson TV serie), it is so funny with his long phone number.

and yes, we buy short name for easy remembering. However, if you like those cool site (myspace,youtube etc), i.e. you have a KILLING idea that no one has done before, probably you are right to "not" necessary buying a short name but make it brandable. However, if it is just something that already exist, probably you can go and buy those existing domain name

toby, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  9. gafadi

gafadi Peon

Best Answers:
    well its that for you , some people like to start with good names, as the name is good there would be generic type in traffic already and that could starts off with little revenue already and then you can do marketing , branding all stuff and another thing is the domain business there are many people doing it so most of the good and short name (2word.com , 4l, 5l , 6l goodones) all gone so its also like you have to buy a name because all are gone already

gafadi, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  10. amrd

amrd Peon

Best Answers:
    do you really think youtube became synonymous with online videos riding on the back of $500? True any short domain name can be branded....but it takes a lot more time and money...

but imagine you saw onlinevideos.com somewhere on the billboard on a nameless street, it would immediately convey what the site is all about with no branding whatsoever....

amrd, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  11. chillsector

chillsector Peon

Best Answers:

Yes but you can buy some cheap word that makes no sense, you dont have to spend money. You seen that "Crazy fox" on tv? You think they paid more than register fees to buy that domain?

chillsector, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  12. kothar

kothar Active Member

Best Answers:
    "There shouldn't be any garland in monkey's hands"
    A site should be in the hands of its master (the one who knows to utilize the site at its best).
    It takes you atleast 2 PR updates to get you to a descent PR-3 or PR-4, but it takes you only minutes to buy a PR-4 domain (of course with a nice keyword).
    So, I defer from the Thread starter.

kothar, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  13. Dr_Brad

Dr_Brad Peon

Best Answers:
    You buy domains and park them = More Traffic + New Members

Dr_Brad, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  14. abhishekdaaga

abhishekdaaga Guest

Best Answers:
    Definitely domain buy/sell industry is becoming a scam but ppl buy them to buy a rememberable name so that they dont need to spend much on advtg/branding but again the problem is in management.. say if google starts some service at xzy.com which has no meaning but it will click and be a huge hit the same thing if a non-properly managed good domain name provider starts then it wont be of any use..! nor any good number of ppl join it..

abhishekdaaga, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  15. skylarknetworks

skylarknetworks Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone has different goals for their sites. Some sites are looking for fast money, so they're going to spend the least on a domain. Some people are in it for the long run and are willing to pay more for a name that meets their vision.

For example, I buy the misspellings or similar spellings of my domain names to prevent other people from leeching off my traffic.

Why does it matter how other people decide to spend their money? If they want to pay top dollar for the domain they want, then let them. When someone has something they know other people will want its only natural to charge more for it. It's simple economics. Some times you have to spend money to make money. Sometimes you have to spend a lot.

skylarknetworks, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  16. stevepmd

stevepmd Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,
    Can you tell me more about this thirty day challenge I'm very interested.

Thanks
    Steve

stevepmd, Dec 24, 2008 IP