1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ, Google own directory and beginning of the end.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, May 12, 2006.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    More accurately, Google has a 5% share in AOL which owns DMOZ. More importantly, I don't think Google has ever been or will continue to be very happy about an association with a directory over which they have little or no control.

They may indeed put pressure on the parent company to clean up DMOZ and make the whole thing more open and consistent. Or they may just start their own directory and retain full control. I suspect they'll do the latter.

minstrel, May 12, 2006 IP
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So does the vast majority of 500 or so active editors. ;)
    I can think about may be less than 100 that will be left.

gworld, May 12, 2006 IP
  3. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Gworld if what you're saying turns out to be true the editors who are left will be the ones who are there for all the right reasons. Either way, dmoz will be fine, possibly improved.

compostannie, May 12, 2006 IP
  4. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    A large proportion of the most active editors, most of which have no commercial web interests, would welcome the ties being cut as it would substantially reduce the spamming that has made large areas of the directory unmanageable from the editor side but unfortunately I don't see that happening. Yep, Google only has a minority stake in DMOZ but they are unlikely to want to throw it away for a long time yet - it is the biggest directory and the labour is free - it will take years to build up anything anywhere near comparable. If it no longer fits into the AOL/Google portfolio most likely it would be sold to someone else rather than abandoned.

brizzie, May 12, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    brizzie, I didn't say Google would dismantle DMOZ. I said they would simply sever ties with it. I'm not sure Google even has a need for a directory. But if they do, I suspect they strongly prefer one they have total control over.

6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1- The new directory is labor free, it is run by volunteers that add sites for what ever subject they are interested in.

2- There is no limit on number of volunteers, so the quantity will increase very fast. DMOZ will not be biggest for long.

3- It is owned 100% by Google and their software will include or exclude sites instead of editors "personal interest" like DMOZ.

4- Editors are already seeing the writing on the wall and trying to find solutions to include their present listings in DMOZ in the new directory.

I suppose you are right that the 100 or less people left in the end will be happy that there is no spam but it also shows that DMOZ is no longer of any interest to anyone, except this handful of people. ;)

gworld, May 12, 2006 IP
  7. Genie

Genie Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed. Google is wedded to algorithms. Search engines aimed to replace directories. The ODP may be useful in various ways to Google (mainly perhaps as a body of data for research), but if the ODP closed down tomorrow, Google would bowl merrily on.

The idea of Google creating its own directory, which would be pay-for-placement and give listed sites a boost in Google's SERPs is nothing but wishful thinking on the part of commercial webmasters and SEOs who would love such a system. The Google culture is opposed to any such development. It would happen over the dead bodies of Larry and Sergey.

Genie, May 12, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  8. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    So gworld does that means you will leave too, making you no better than the people you accuse? ;)

crossman, May 12, 2006 IP
    sidjf and compostannie like this.
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Good one, crossman... a real zinger :rolleyes:

10. Genie

Genie Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks to me as though that would be difficult to do. Admittedly Google thought that PageRank couldn't be manipulated and how wrong they were, but at first glance anyway, I'd say this is a weapon against spam.

Genie, May 12, 2006 IP
  11. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    However you want to term the job. I will use your term then. It is a hobby that several editors will lose a nice living from and then be required to either get a real job or seek a paycheck from uncle sam since their money pit will disappear.

Las Vegas Homes, May 12, 2006 IP
  12. Genie

Genie Peon

Best Answers:
    (sigh) If you have any proof that any editor is making money from editing (other than those who are actually employed by AOL) then please put in an abuse report. No-one could be more eager to throw abusing editors out than we are. They give us all a bad name.

Genie, May 12, 2006 IP
    orlady likes this.
  13. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent! An idea whose time has come. I will participate.

helleborine, May 19, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is a very good idea. It is still in the beginning phase and editor section is not really ready (too complicated for most people) but I suppose Google will fix it soon.

gworld, May 19, 2006 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I hope they're focusing on fixing their database/indexing processes first :mad:

minstrel, May 19, 2006 IP
  16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is a different group inside Google that is responsible for this bit I feel your pain. ;)

gworld, May 20, 2006 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    With the mess the index is in right now, they should be deploying ALL their personnel to fix it.

minstrel, May 20, 2006 IP
  18. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have given the Google Coop a shot. It is NOT user-friendly.

There is not much of an interface to speak of, it's a bit like hand-coding html, only it's not html...

In a way, editors are selected out because of the learning curve.

I will persevere. I have created topics, and will begin to "annotate" sites next rainy afternoon.

helleborine, May 29, 2006 IP