1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ, Google own directory and beginning of the end.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, May 12, 2006.

It seems Google has finally given up on DMOZ and it is starting it's own volunteer based directory. While for a long time I was hoping that DMOZ will finally fix it's problems and becomes what it was meant to be, I believe that it is too late for DMOZ now. Google has much more resources and even more important professionalism than DMOZ ever had and it will not be long before it's own directory is in a shape that can replace DMOZ.

In such event, DMOZ will be nothing but an insignificant directory and most editors will leave as soon as there is no benefit for them. while may be it is sad for real volunteers to see that DMOZ disappears, it will be a new start for every one to volunteer for an organization that will be much more professional. :(

On the happy note, it will be fun to see all those editors that have said and done anything possible in order to advance in their so called "career" in DMOZ will end up with nothing but shame for their actions. :D

gworld, May 12, 2006 IP
  2. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Had not heard about this, gworld. Got a link to this announcement? I would like to see what the big G has in the works.

EveryQuery, May 12, 2006 IP
  3. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure, but he may be talking about Google Co-op, although it's not the same as a directory so I can't see it killing off dmoz so maybe he's not talking about Co-op.

Not much help with the original post I'm afraid, but the link is very interesting. :)

compostannie, May 12, 2006 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for providing the link, it is co-op that I was talking about. It is a directory but combines different concepts:

1) it uses volunteers the same as DMOZ but does not limit the number of volunteers on each subject, which causes a fast increase in the number of listings.

2) it is like wiki with free form contribution

3) it uses algorithms to sort through all contribution like a search engine and form the directory.

You must read the fine print in their legal documents to see how they will end up with a directory in the end. ;)

It is a good start and hopefully they succeed soon.

gworld, May 12, 2006 IP
  5. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    If this is true Gworld it brings one of my predictions to light. I said several months ago that Google if they were smart would create their own directory and get rid of the public relation problems they have with Dmoz. Google isnt stupid they are just a little slow sometimes.

Las Vegas Homes, May 12, 2006 IP
  6. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you explain how this is a directory?

As far as I can see the google coop is a way for me to add feeds from my favourite sites (like digg) to the search results on google?:confused:

mad4, May 12, 2006 IP
  7. Genie

Genie Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a small co-op directory here of popular sites: http://www.google.com/coop/directory . It should grow, as good, trusted sites co-operate. But I would expect it to remain minute by comparision with the ODP. It is not intended as a directory of the web in the old sense. It is something new and interesting.

I like the idea a lot. It is another way of personalising results, but one that gives the user a direct choice of what they see and will help to bring the results they trust to the top of their search. Power to the people! :)

Genie, May 12, 2006 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are the editor. You are adding your favorite sites to your search results. You are building a directory section on the subject that you are good at. At the same time, you can link to other editors and their directory becomes part of your section. each person builds a mini directory on a subject. Google process all these mini directories and builds one big directory.

gworld, May 12, 2006 IP
  9. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is an interesting development we are going to need to watch. :)

dvduval, May 12, 2006 IP
  10. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    It does sound insteresting, it seems similar to Looksmart's furl.net

Compostannie I don't see it killing dmoz because well, dmoz has nothing to do with google.

crossman, May 12, 2006 IP
  11. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    If Google actually stopped using the ODP, what would all of these webmasters have to bitch and moan about?

Wait, maybe it would be a very good thing...

sidjf, May 12, 2006 IP
  12. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it would be a good thing.

dvduval, May 12, 2006 IP
  13. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it would. I hoped Google would drop DMOZ. I will keep watching what Google does.

Skinny

Skinny, May 12, 2006 IP
  14. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    :confused: Are you really that naive?

The promotion and endorsement of websites that aid and abet sex offenders, maybe? :rolleyes:

It would be a very good thing indeed.

minstrel, May 12, 2006 IP
  15. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    All good things come to those that wait. It is just a matter of time before the unemployement rate increases for editorship positions across the US :rolleyes:

Las Vegas Homes, May 12, 2006 IP
  16. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    How is that naive? About what? Minstrel please explain so I can give a better
    response...

Dmoz is not funded by google, and from what webmasters in here might believe in the possibility that google ranks sites with dmoz in mind, still doesn't mean dmoz has anything to do with google. Google is just using dmoz information like thousands of other sites..
    That like saying that dmoz also has something to do with those sites as well....

crossman, May 12, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    This doesn't make sense, editing at dmoz is a hobby not employment.

compostannie, May 12, 2006 IP
  18. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Crossman, the only reason that the majority of non-DMOZ editors have any interest whatsoever in DMOZ has to do with the fact that Google has used DMOZ feeds to populate the Google Directory. Once Google dumps that relationship, which frankly seems inevitable to me sooner or later, the vast majority of the world will totally ignore DMOZ and it will fade back into almost total obscurity, of interest only to an almost certainly dwindling population of DMOZ editors.

minstrel, May 12, 2006 IP
  19. Genie

Genie Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a cross between http://del.icio.us/ and http://www.rollyo.com/ , but more complex than either. I created my own search engine with Rollyo in a brace of shakes, but doing it with Google Co-op could mean a huge investment of time. I'm still thinking about it.

Genie, May 12, 2006 IP
  20. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is part owned by Google or has everyone forgotten? They have no need to create a new directory, all they need to do is exert influence on what they have already which is infinitely more developed. I think they are just flying another new product not seeking to replace anything. Whether it works or not depends on the extent to which it is abused and its results skewed to the interests of SEO manipulators - that will take a long while to tell.

brizzie, May 12, 2006 IP