1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats the best way to submitt to Dmoz?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Creare SEO, Aug 21, 2008.

I have recently taken on a new SEO client and one of their main competitors has a PR5 dmoz link in my category of choice. Has anyone got tips to how to successfully submit to Dmoz?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Creare SEO, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  2. SalviaCrazy

SalviaCrazy Banned

Best Answers:
    Try to contact a editor of the category you want to submit to otherwise Dmoz is almost impossible to get accepted into.

SalviaCrazy, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  3. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    The best option is to have friends that are editors there... otherwise it's pretty hard to get listed nowadays.

zexy, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  4. Rituja

Rituja Peon

Best Answers:
    Friend No way rules are rules.......
    Dmoz getting much time for approving link...........

Rituja, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  5. roynston

roynston Banned

Best Answers:
    have patience, and thats the only way you can get accepted by Dmoz.
    Dmoz patience = check back dmoz after 10000000 years. lol:p

roynston, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  6. greenwing72

greenwing72 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you have to know someone.

greenwing72, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  7. Mr.Dee

Mr.Dee Peon

Best Answers:
    Put your URL in a bottle addressed to DMOZ and drop it in the Pacific Ocean. Don't call us, we'll call you.

Mr.Dee, Aug 21, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  8. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    I just had one of my websites finally become listed in DMOZ, I submitted it two years about almost and it was just now approved about a week ago. I have also had before where I submitted a website and within 3 weeks it was accepted, also had a few websites I submitted and after around 2 years they were still not even put into the directory.

primeelite, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  9. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of accusations flying around here about DMOZ Editor corruption without any substantiated proof.

With an organization this large I am sure there may be a few bad apples in the group. This kind of goes without saying. But to broadly stroke DMOZ as having to know an editor before getting accepted, is no way near the truth.

Just knowing an editor would not guarantee your link. You would have to know his/her editor, and the one above that, etc. There is a hierarchal watchdog system in place that monitors this type of activity.

Now what is true, is that no two editors operate the same. Some are tougher, some are easier. Some have the time, some have little. Newer editors require probational monitoring when first starting out. All this adds up to widely varying 'time to acceptance' durations, which in turn adds to the impatience of some who want their site in right now.

There may be tighter restrictions now. One restriction is more than likely a website age requirement, you can no longer just buy a new domain, create a site and expect it be listed in DMOZ within the first year.

This type of rumor mongering going on right now, is nothing new. It has been going on for years.

If you really want to get into the mindset of goes on over there, then read In Defense Of DMOZ at WebProWorld. Yes that article is from 2004, but it still holds true today.

In the article, note what the user CBP has to say. He is/was and editor at DMOZ, but never revealed his real name. While WPW was attacking DMOZ at that time, he told me that he had to defend WPW at DMOZ even while defending DMOZ at WPW.

In that thread, there was a user named GWORLD spouting about corruption at DMOZ. And this is the message I recieved from CBP at that time:

So peeps. Let's just leave the rumors and innuendo at the door.

Dodger, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  10. petyard

petyard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what puzzles me is this:
    instead of building more and better links for your client, besides many other things you could probably for your client, you are so worried about a DMOZ listing
    thank god I am not your client

petyard, Aug 21, 2008 IP
    nicholas777 likes this.
  11. nicholas777

nicholas777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Rep added!

nicholas777, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  12. Mr.Dee

Mr.Dee Peon

Best Answers:
    Now, now, he never said he wasn't doing any of those things, he just asked a question. This is a forum where you ask questions, right? Asking questions is one way to learn and get better.

Mr.Dee, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  13. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah but after reading his message if you are taking on clients for SEO, you should at least know the largest directory by far inside and out.

primeelite, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  14. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    @primeelite - I would hazard a guess and say that maybe 80% or more of the self-proclaimed SEO experts/professionals really do not know DMOZ inside and out to begin with. And I believe that some of them really do not want to admit it.

So when somebody like Creare asks the question in a public forum, it does show one thing about him ... he wants to learn.

Dodger, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  15. alexme

alexme Guest

Best Answers:
    Wouldn't you like to see the pending links count for dmoz?? ;) then maybe people would be like, pffft..

I might try it once it gets under 1,000,000 pending links lol

alexme, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  16. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yep. That's just about right. :rolleyes:

AngelaE8654, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  17. sheds

sheds Peon

Best Answers:
    Dmoz dir getting much time for approving link!

sheds, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  18. seosheen

seosheen Peon

Best Answers:
    i am also on waiting list...don't know when become end:(

seosheen, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  19. vjlenin

vjlenin Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's tough mate to get into dmoz. Even if you know an editor.

vjlenin, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The rule of thumb is "submit and forget" which should be followed. Many will say to pay for a listing, but that runs the risk of getting your site perm-a-banned from the ODP. Others say to become an editor and list your site yourself, though while that may work, getting your own site listed on your own WILL get your site looked at by the meta team and if it does not "fit" it will be removed, and chances are you will be too. Submitting your site can often result in your site NEVER getting a listing, some editors never check the queue, and other editors wont list sites in the queue because "all webmasters are evil spammers" or something...

Friends do run the risk of getting found out for adding in friends sites, sadly even if such sites ARE listable! If that happens the site can get removed and/or banned, as can your friend.

I'm sure the wait time is about the same as if one just submitted in the normal fashion ;)

In the end there is no sure fire way of getting a listing, and the best you can hope for is that some random editor happens across your site on their own.

Qryztufre, Aug 22, 2008 IP