1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to find MX record after switching hosts

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by jackslounge, Aug 21, 2008.

I made a mistake - I didn't get the MX record from the old server for a website I just moved to a new server.

Is there any way I can find it without logging in to the old server administration panel? I'm not on very good terms with the old host...

jackslounge, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  2. oc-scott

oc-scott Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you want to have the MX records of the old server since you have already transferred files to the new one? What control panel does the old host uses?

oc-scott, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  3. kailash

kailash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have still not changed the nameserves of your domain your will get it from dnsstuff.com or checkdns.net.

Kailash

kailash, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  4. jackslounge

jackslounge Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, I have changed the dns records. the new site is live.

In changing them though, I have lost email. any emails sent to the domain now bounce - i assume this is because the MX records have not been transferred.

What I want to know, is if there is a way I can find the old MX records for the domain.

I never logged into the old host - we built a new site on a new server. It will be difficult getting login info for the old host control panel.

5. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Do a dig of your domain name using the old host nameservers, hopefully they are not so efficient in removing these. You can use http://www.geektools.com/digtool.php put in your domain name and the Target DNS server is that of your old host, select MX

wisdomtool, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  6. jackslounge

jackslounge Peon

Best Answers:
    hey wisdomtool, thanks, that was the best info I've seen all night. It is still not working though.. How long do you think it would take to update? I thought MX were instant update?

7. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    If you dig into their DNS, it should not be updated, unless they are extremely quick and efficient and deleted your entries.

wisdomtool, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  8. jackslounge

jackslounge Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I was able to see the old info in there (which looks to be correct). I have copied it over to my new hosts control panel, but still see an error.

www.mxtoolbox.com shows the updated MX records that I just entered, and this output under SMTP diagnostics:

<code>
    RESULT: mail.domain.com.au
    Banner: -server.net ESMTP Exim 4.69 #1 Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:35:09 +1000 [2078 ms]
    Connect Time: 0.062 seconds - Good
    Transaction Time: 2.312 seconds - Good
    Relay Check: WARNING! Your server could be an open relay.
    Rev DNS Check: OK - 67.228.216.67 resolves to server.net
    GeoCode Info: Geocoding server is unavailable
    Session Transcript:
    HELO please-read-policy.mxtoolbox.com
    220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited, [0 ms]
    MAIL FROM: <test@mxtoolbox.com>
    220 and/or bulk e-mail. [0 ms]
    RCPT TO: <test@mxtoolbox.com>
    250 thebruce.myownserver.net Hello please-read-policy.mxtoolbox.com [64.20.227.131] [62 ms]
    QUIT
    250 OK [109 ms]
    </code>

9. jackslounge

jackslounge Peon

Best Answers:
    All sorted, thanks to my web host. Sorry I cant offer a solution to others with the same issue :)