1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Outgoing links to provide relevancy to your page

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by scottwood1986, Aug 20, 2008.

I read somewhere that providing outgoing links (whether it be in a blog or on the page content itself) helps create relevancy and a theme within your website. Has anyone experienced this? For example a website about cars, linking to relevant manufacturers, blogs, websites etc...?

Im not talking about PR leakage or anything like that, as i would put the links as No follow... but im keen to understand whether or not this is useful to help your SERPS ?

(Im assuming not.. )

Thanks,

Scott

scottwood1986, Aug 20, 2008 IP
  2. 3DProf4online

3DProf4online Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never had such experience, but just think it may be if outgoing link text includes keywords!

3DProf4online, Aug 20, 2008 IP
  3. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never heard of this before.

kingofsanda, Aug 20, 2008 IP
  4. tendulkar2

tendulkar2 Banned

Best Answers:
    I think it helps the one you are linking to.. ;)

tendulkar2, Aug 20, 2008 IP
  5. Gede

Gede Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmmm...

I think that if you are number 2 in the serps, its more difficult to become 1 if you link to that number 1.

However, if you are on page 10 (number 100+), and you praise a few of the high ranking sites, you never know what happens :cool:

A few links to a wiki page will never hurt....

Gede, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  6. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    I came across this idea a while ago and did a bit of testing - for a week or two it seemed to help a bit (eg moving from position 7 to position 6) ... but then these gains reversed after a couple of weeks - but perhaps for a different reason.

Certainly all the pages I tested had a small initial improvement, so well worth trying out yourself.

Rasputin, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  7. simonspurr

simonspurr Peon

Best Answers:
    It does seem possible but it does also seem like it could also hurt ur rankings promoting other sites

simonspurr, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  8. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    It is assumed that if you link to authority site within you market, then your site will obtain higher authority. Somewhere in Google I think I read this. But…

If I do link to an outside “authority” site, I use the “nofollow” attribute. This is to retain the PR.

Has it help or not help my site. No. And I can not find any real “benchmark” source that will show the results.

Use them but with a "nofollow" tag.

Remember, google states that it is a Vote for the site. Do you want to give the PR or not is the question.

catanich, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  9. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    From my experience I believe you get help in two ways.

1. Some of the google patents refer to a small pool of sites in each industry representing the core or authority for that niche (for either good or bad neighborhoods). Google uses the core sites as part of the algorithm. When you link to an authority site in your niche you're attempting to become a part of a cluster of sites that google considers important in the niche. So if you link to an authority site and some authority site links back to you (even with a few degrees of separation i.e. site a links to b, b to c, c to d, and d to your site) your site becomes part of the cluster, although on the outskirts. Being part of the core will help your site become an authority by itself, especially if you're a sub niche of the entire industry.

2. The anchor text of the link is considered text by google on the outgoing page (yours in this example). As a result, the search engines will count it towards the relevancy of your site on your site's theme. I've had pages rank for the anchor text of an out going link when that's the only reference to the keywords on the page.

freelistfool, Aug 21, 2008 IP
  10. scottwood1986

scottwood1986 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its definately worth testing out.. Although with most things in the realm of google its all trial and error :)

scottwood1986, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  11. Rituja

Rituja Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Outbound Links are not good or more beneficial for our website..........

Rituja, Aug 22, 2008 IP