1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help reviewing CSS problems in FF.

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Basilius, Aug 20, 2008.

I hope that some of you guys would be good enough to take a look at a site I am having developed. I need to know if the mess that I am seeing in Firefox is happening with everyone that views the site in FF, or if this is just happening in my browsers.

My designer tells me that he cannot find anything wrong, and the problems that I am pointing out to him are probably just something to do with my browser, cache, or adobe flash 9 not working properly.

I would be grateful if some of you guys could review this site for me. I am particularly interested in what the site looks like in FF 2.0, FF 2.0.0.16 and FF 3.0. I am using a Macbook and the site looks good in Safari, but a mess in FF 2.0.0.16. I would also be grateful if you could let me know if the site is functioning well, or not, in any of the other popular browsers.

My laptop becomes unresponsive, usually while viewing WM videos in both FF 2.0.0.16 and in FF 3.0. The site looks okay at first sight until I play around with the videos.

Here are some uploaded images of what I am seeing:
    SCREENSHOTS

Here is the website for review. Please, take a look because I need to make a decision regarding whether, or not, I will accept this standard of work.

PLEASE CLICK HERE

Thanks.

Basilius, Aug 20, 2008 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    127 validation errors means you do not have HTML, you have gibberish.

Javascripted menu - miserable /FAIL/ 90's style

Whole bunch of ajax nonsense making accessability a joke and bloating out the page badly.

Empty line items for no fathomable reason.

TEN TIMES as many div, classes and ID's as should be needed for such a simple layout.

Inlined presentation, inlined CSS - /FAIL/

Use of deprecated target attribute changing browsing behavior from default - /FAIL/

List being abused on elements that are not a list...

List NOT being used where there's a list...

A measure I often use (found in my style guide at http://battletech.hopto.org/html_tutorials/styleGuide.txt ) is:

1k+content*1.5+200 bytes per content image (or flash file)

That means with 1.9k of content and 22 content images/flash embeds, that should only be an 8k HTML file, everything else being offloaded in external script files and external CSS files. You have 40K of HTML there - five times the MAXIMUM I'd consider for a 'well coded' page.

My advice - throw it all away and start over from scratch with minimalist SEMANTIC markup, proper separation of presentation and content, etc, etc... Right now what you have for markup is a train wreck I wouldn't even TRY to salvage.

deathshadow, Aug 20, 2008 IP
  3. Basilius

Basilius Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks deathshadow.

I appreciate you taking the time to have a good look at this website. :-(

I am seriously thinking about aborting this project now. It has taken this guy 9 months to get to this stage where he now says that the website is almost complete. Is there anything worth salvaging from this project besides the logo, which was designed elsewhere, anyway?

Thanks.

Basilius, Aug 20, 2008 IP