1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just created a new site...where do I start?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sivle, Aug 18, 2008.

So, I just finished creating this site and I'm getting pretty much zero traffic at this point and I'm not sure what the best way is to start driving traffic. It's a store front, so content is pretty minimal. I've done some basic SEO stuff that I knew off the top of my head. I also created a blog, so should I concentrate on building unique content here?

I also submitted to search engines probably 3 weeks ago. Most of the major ones. Did this manually. Yahoo, Google, Live, etc. Is there a good site that I should use to submit to many others, or are these sufficient?
    Any advice on how I can start to build traffic would be great. I've seen lots of great stuff on the forums, but I'm just not sure where I should begin. :)Thanks!

sivle, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  2. NsaneNoob

NsaneNoob Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest, get a Directory Submission Service to 500+ directories.

NsaneNoob, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  3. Antonyseo

Antonyseo Peon

Best Answers:
    You are at the start.... you need to get indexed in google and other major search engines by using basic internet marketing strategies. For Ex: Directories, press releases, article pages, social communities,personal profile pages , etc.,

At the same time, get your plan, goal, market conditions set and then hit the market with your own way ... else ask me for more help if you are confused. Setting up a formula and moving accordingly should help not only you, but every businessman, and website owner to acheive their targets online....

Keep in mind that, knowing your keywords, and planning some seo tactics to acheive search engine positioning with them plays a vital role.

some times, not only SEO is needed for your site, but other marketing strategies too. Let me know more details about your site, business etc., so that I can be of better help in deciding what exactly you want. I'm open for any personal message if you may need any help.

Antonyseo, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  4. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Buy links/ads on websites that are related to the niche of your site.

ablaye, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  5. dtm32236

dtm32236 Guest

Best Answers:
    wow - really guys?

submitting to 500+ directories is not only almost completely worthless, but it's also a waste of time - unless you pay someone to do it, then it's just a waste of money...
    submitting to tons and tons of directories isn't going to do you much good.

buying links is also generally very discouraged... as if you don't know what you're doing and you just start buying links, you run a great risk of getting penalized/banned by google and other SEs.

No one mentioned good/updated content - probably the most important thing... you need something that will bring people back to your site. Anthonyseo also mentioned the following: press releases, article pages, social communities, personal profile pages... and this is so far the best advice offered to you.

dtm32236, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  6. NsaneNoob

NsaneNoob Peon

Best Answers:
    Which is why I told him to get a service ......:confused:

NsaneNoob, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  7. dtm32236

dtm32236 Guest

Best Answers:
    It's a waste of money, as SEs put little weight on backlinks from directories.

Submit to a few directories - I don't know, maybe 10 or 20, just to get indexed faster - but I would never suggest investing time and money in directory backlinks.

dtm32236, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  8. inetfreebies

inetfreebies Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have found that finding a website with a PR of 6 or 7 that is related to your niche that will place a link even if it costs $150-$200 will get you site indexed pretty quickly. Sites with a PR that high are visited by the bots daily if not hourly.

inetfreebies, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  9. Gallito

Gallito Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if you just want to get everything indexed, fastest way is through social bookmarking and forums. This forum is constantly being indexed by Google crawlers, stick up some links and see where it gets you. In terms of SEO, try some article marketing and maybe a handful of directory submissions but don't go overboard.

Gallito, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  10. SEOSue

SEOSue Guest

Best Answers:
    I go with the directory submissions. Google even recommends to do that:

Google is still a computer system. But Google knows that all directory owners together serve as a huge team of human web site reviewers. And that counts. Those links will improve your rankings in the SERP’s. But of course how much difference will depend on the competitiveness of your niche. I have been able to get some sites to a #1 spot with like 500+ directory submissions. But for keywords as 'SEO' you won't see much happening from just directory submissions, of course.

Check out a proper service. (not sure if I can mention any here) There are so many services out there, though, that give a lousy job. You need one that does only free, one-way, genuine directories with high PR and also understands how to advice you on keywords and proper descriptions.
    Good luck!

SEOSue, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  11. mrvegasjoe1979

mrvegasjoe1979 Peon

Best Answers:
    Directories first...
    Then do Articles...
    Then buy a relevant link...
    then spend time and money on link building....

mrvegasjoe1979, Aug 18, 2008 IP
  12. awesomehosting

awesomehosting Banned

Best Answers:
    Constant good and updated content is the way to go....once you are listed as it keeps in coming back and gives them something..

awesomehosting, Aug 19, 2008 IP
  13. pbruessow@msn.com

pbruessow@msn.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try putting some content pages in your stores website related to your niche. Use good on page optimization on those pages.

Submit some quality articles to Ezinearticles related to your niche and put some links in your resource box. If the article is a good one, some webmasters will use it on their site. Just don't put the same article on your site.

Try looking for some comment blogs with do follow links. A nice way to do this is described here: http://collinlahay.com/2007/11/16/unlimited-free-edu-and-gov-links/

Also, related links outway unrelated ones. Try some reciprocals (although not as powerful as one way) by searching in Google: add link "your niche".

Also, when you get enough posts, put your site in your signature here at DP. These will also count as backlinks.

Content and backlinks are the key to getting decent SERP's.

Best of luck and hope this helps!

pbruessow@msn.com, Aug 19, 2008 IP
  14. dtm32236

dtm32236 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, they recommended 3 directories - not 500.

Absolutely not.... if this were the case, EVERYONE would be #1 in google.

Directories and forum backlinks [although they may count a little] don't count for very much. They're too simple to get, and anyone can get these types of backlinks. Google isn't going to award you for these links...

dtm32236, Aug 19, 2008 IP
  15. sivle

sivle Peon

Best Answers:
    some great feedback...appreciate all the response!

sivle, Aug 19, 2008 IP
  16. Working Nomad

Working Nomad Guest

Best Answers:
    Build useful content and the links will come....

Working Nomad, Aug 19, 2008 IP
  17. mikey0809

mikey0809 Peon

Best Answers:
    i have tried to get my site into dmoz about 3 months ago still havent heard back how long does it take

thanks
    mike
    http://www.mortgageadvice.name

mikey0809, Aug 19, 2008 IP
  18. dtm32236

dtm32236 Guest

Best Answers:
    Search "DMOZ" here..... many claim that they've been waiting 5 years...

You're lucky to get into DMOZ, but it's not worth worrying over. If you get in, you get in, and there's nothing you can do about it if you don't.

One of my sites took 2 months to get listed, the other one I submitted 3 years ago and it's still not listed.

Leave it and don't worry about it. You may end up checking to see if you're listed for the rest of your life.

dtm32236, Aug 19, 2008 IP