1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google pagerank - Useful or Useless?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by willyboy104, Aug 17, 2008.

I ve just finished my article on whether or not Google pagerank is useful or useless. A topic which seems to always being debated is whether or not pagerank has any uses.

Whats your opinion?

willyboy104, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  2. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You make some really good points there.. PR has definitely lost it's value in last couple of years. And I agree that it does seem like it has become inaccurate. One of my PR3 blog has PR4 blog posts with almost 0 backlinks, these were not even the popular posts so I am all the more surprised.

I still see PR when I am sorting my directory list or when I am trying to buy/sell a blogpost or a banner. But it's just an old habit. Many people are able to fake PR and don't even mention the dropped domains.

All said, I still believe PR is one of the factors deciding SERPs. Though it has lost the 'weight' it used to carry earlier.

jitendraag, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  3. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah definitely is it just me or has Google seemed to become a little unorganised...perhaps its due to rapid growth? As they are growing rapidly and with increasing internet users...who will be able to stop them.

4. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    One of the things often overlooked in PageRank discussions is precisely what PR is. Google says, "PageRank reflects our view of the importance of web pages." (http://www.google.com/corporate/tech.html)

Google doesn't calculate and publish (toolbar) PR primarily for our sakes. They do it to state their "view of the importance of web pages." Frankly, I don't think they care what we think about PR. And why should they? It's their algorithm for their purposes, to help make their search engine do what they want it to do.

Jim4767, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  5. willyboy104

Best Answers:
    Hmm very good point Jim. I ve never really thought about it like that, i think thats some thing that is strongly over looked. With all the hype over Google pagerank and especially the toolbar update people tend to forget this, or not even know it.

Jim4767 likes this.
  6. namaste

namaste Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many factors involving the calculation of a Page Rank.

Some factors:
    #1. Backlinks
    #2. Content

and many others..

namaste, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  7. willyboy104

Best Answers:
    We know that...you've obviously not read my article or understood the topic.

Its not what is pagerank how do you gain pagerank what factors determine pagerank e.t.c

Its whether or not pagerank i useful?

Hows about displaying your opinion on whether you feel Google pagerank is useful or not

willyboy104, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  8. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    Page Rank is how the SEO community judges each other and how the SEO community tell their clients that they have improved their site.

A non-technical person can visually see the improvement.

And the SEO community has made a great deal of money making that little green bar bigger.

As you can tell, I'm not a great fan of PR. But, is there a better way to judge a site's quality?

catanich, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  9. kanwarjot

kanwarjot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now page rank is useful if you are into link sale business...I have seen many sites with low pr ranking higher then those with high pr..So as far as Serps are concerned,pr is useless

kanwarjot, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  10. zk5182

zk5182 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Advertisers value your site for PR in case of quality backlinks ....

zk5182, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  11. willyboy104

Best Answers:
    I would agree that pagerank is useful for people buying and selling links however perhaps it is not taken as a major factor in the "SEO community" i ve seen and heard of many people that they hate pagerank and find it useless as its not accurate.

12. info-web

info-web Peon

Best Answers:
    I think PR is fancier then being useful. High PR only gives a good impression to other and may have some meaning for Google but for a webmaster it isn't that useful.

info-web, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  13. imablogger

imablogger Peon

Best Answers:
    How often does google update the pagerank? Does anyone know??

imablogger, Aug 22, 2008 IP
  14. willyboy104

Best Answers:
    Its approximately every 3 months, the last one was about the 26th July 2008