1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Did Big Daddy really break Google this time?

Discussion in 'Google' started by minstrel, May 10, 2006.

1. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    netsearchresearch

Thx for advice... Seems to me best long term advice would be to make a lot of directories and give it a year more... Maybe actually writing some more content once in a while would do the trick too ;)

miko67, May 10, 2006 IP
  2. softplus

softplus Peon

Best Answers:
    softplus, May 10, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for trying to help, netsearchresearch, but do you have any idea what the hell you're talking about? What have my links, incoming or outgoing or internal or whatever the hell "site run links" are, have to do with what I posted?

minstrel, May 10, 2006 IP
  4. Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Hi minstrel

I looked at your site again and believe that the white text could be the problem. Change the text colors to yellow and check MSN in three days

thanks

Canadianbacon, May 10, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah. The white text. I'm sure that's it. :rolleyes:

minstrel, May 10, 2006 IP
    Canadianbacon likes this.
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Minstrel, I didn't look at your site and decided it was sod all to do with me I didn't notice anything in your posts that warranted looking at your site. Sadly, though I did look at the title of your site, Mental Health resources, and decided this is one I DEFINITELY need to bookmark for personal use :D

Seriously, I wasn't disagreeing with you in my post, I was more or less saying what you said, in that no one knows WTF is going on. Is it a CRISIS ;)

Old Welsh Guy, May 11, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  7. transversestyles

transversestyles Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the link - my problem isn't in pages crawled, sadly. It's my rank.

transversestyles, May 11, 2006 IP
  8. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this goes back a lot further than admitted though. Back to last Sept.

With no apparent reason, every page on my server, seo'd or not, dropped from good serps to rankings around 700 or so near the end of Sept last year (05). I have found a few other people that this also happened too. One article referred to that particular incident as the 'lost data update'. Since then the good serps with some of my sites have returned on some datacenters. Other sites that should rank well (with age, good pr, backlinks, etc) aren't listed in the top 1000.

Christopher, May 11, 2006 IP
  9. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here is an experiment for you. Take a big glass, then fill it with water. Take a smaller glass, and fill that with water. Pour the contents of the smaller galss into the bigger glass. What happens? ;)

If you read the Eric Schmidt comment above I would say it is pretty much a case of this.

Old Welsh Guy, May 11, 2006 IP
  10. netsearchresearch

netsearchresearch Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to help and get a bunch of crap

I know what I talking about I know google very well
    Got a few sites banned and unbanned
    I won the last 3 google seo contest checkpoints
    zoom11 win thats my msn spaces site
    cpayscom win my other msn spaces site
    http://carcasher.com/SEOContest/MayWinners/ carcasherdotcomseocontest.ca is mine I own 40% of the 1st page in this contest
    I can prove these are my sites

I guess I should just not try to help on digital point
    I'll keep what I learn from these contest to myself for now on

netsearchresearch, May 11, 2006 IP
  11. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    The issue is not ranking in the SEs, the issue is Google losing indexed pages, not on just one or two sites, but on a mass scale affecting a massive number of sites. No amount of SEO changes is going to help as it is a problem with Google, not individual sites.

Roman, May 11, 2006 IP
  12. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    I agree with you, I have seen Google revert back as far as September for the info it has on my sight. If this is the case, it's been 8 months since their problems started and they seem to be getting worse, which is quite scary considering the are the leading search engine.

Roman, May 11, 2006 IP
  13. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    LaCabra, May 11, 2006 IP
  14. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    I track a set of 1000 pages across 1000 domains and see huge fluctuations in the # of cached pages on an almost daily basis. Anywhere from 90% cached to only 25% cached. It is not just the site: command. It is widespread across many domains of all size, shapes, and business.

gford, May 11, 2006 IP
  15. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I know that one website's anecdotal experience proves nothing, but let me throw out a random thought. Unlike some posters whose websites have seen some negative stuff recently from Google, I'm seeing steady growth in indexed pages, SERPs, and traffic.

So here's the thought, to throw another variable into the discussion — mine is a non-profit, non-commercial website. Is it possible that Google is treating non-profits and for-profits differently?

Jim4767, May 11, 2006 IP
  16. netsearchresearch

netsearchresearch Peon

Best Answers:

A search for sex proves this

netsearchresearch, May 11, 2006 IP
  17. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    These are my observations and a theory I have.

Sometime about September 2005, maybe a bit earlier, something went wrong at Google and they have been trying to fix it since. Any pages that were indexed before the problem are not affected by what is happening, but any new pages and/or sites that have gone online since are affected. I started my site in June 2005 and have added pages on a daily basis so my site is continuosly changing. The content I added in the beggining is pretty stable. Pages that I later added sometimes show up ranking in the top 10 and sometime show up as not indexed. There is no rhyme or reason to which of the 500+ pages I have put up since Sept. are indexed. One day I'll be getting traffic for "longest banana" and see myself ranked #1, the next day, not indexed, but getting traffic for something else. And it just keeps changing.

About 6 weeks ago all my pages were indexed, but started dropping like flies Now I see anywhere from 30% to 60% indexed, the only consitancy is the pages made pre-September. Oddly enough 6 weeks ago at full index Google sent me about 1000 uniques/day but now, even at 30% I'm getting 1500 - 2000 uniques from them.

All my pages are .HTML with every page being absolutly unique, hand-written content specific to it's own subject.

I'd like to point out the issues with the last 2 PR updates as well, the last PR update that went normally was, you guessed it, last September.

I go back to my theory, sometime in late August or early September someone broke something at Google and it is very serious.

Roman, May 11, 2006 IP
  18. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    These are my observations and a theory I have.

Sometime about September 2005, may be a bit earlier, something went wrong at Google and they have been trying to fix it since. Any pages that were indexed before the problem are not affected by what is happening, but any new pages and/or sites that have gone online since are affected. I satrted my site in June 2005 and have added pages on a daily basis so my site is continuosly changing. The content I added in the biggining is pretty stable. Pages that I later added sometimes show up ranking in the top 10 and sometime show up as not indexed. There is no rhyme or reason to which of the 500+ pages I have put up since Sept. are indexed. One day I'll be getting traffic for "longest banana" and see myself ranked #1, the next day, not indexed, but getting traffic for something else. And it just keeps changing.

About 6 weeks ago all my pages were indexed, but started dropping like flies Now I see anywhere from 30% to 60% indexed, the only consitancy is the pages made pre-September. Oddly enough 6 weeks ago at full index Google sent me about 1000 uniques/day but now, even at 30% I'm getting 1500 - 2000 uniques from them.

All my pages are .HTML with every page being absolutly unique, hand-written content specific to it's own subject.

I'd like to point out the issues with the last 2 PR updates as well, the last PR update that went normally was, you guessed it, last September.

I go back to my theory, sometime in late August or early September someone broke something at Google and it is very serious.

I think the issue is in fact so serious that they have to cover it up, as it could cause their stock to plunge drastically. I read Matt's blog there and he seemed to be doing some mighty fine dancing to avoid the issue.

Roman, May 11, 2006 IP
  19. mihaidamianov

mihaidamianov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is "BigDaddy"?

mihaidamianov, May 11, 2006 IP
  20. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks sayles, that is interesting. Graywolf does have some good examples of the mismatched content.

It does bother me that Matt puts the problem on the webservers. Googlebot has to deal with any server on the internet... poor configuration or not. I guess the "inclusion is not a right" idea fits in here. But then there is Andy's post about mod_diffprivs and 503 errors... makes you wonder.

I am suprised that no one is really discussing the crawl caching proxy servers. This sounds like something that would only compound many of the errors discussed lately, if it is not the cause itself. Matt was not even aware of when it went live... knowing that might help. I wonder if this explains the higher PR on an interior page problems...

Eric Schmidt's comment about a 'server crisis' brings to mind this thread...
    Perhaps they did not fill up, but reduced the number due to the floating point issues in some chips? Or maybe they took too many down at once to change over to the new hardware? Or a compatibility issue between the new and old hardware? A shortage of needed hardware? All speculation, but when taken all together it definitely seems related. Surely Google would think ahead and have what they needed at hand!

I think that we are going to have to change alot of what we know about the behavior of googlebot and of the search engine. It is not what we were dealing with 9 months ago.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that this thread was started by Minstrel? :D

NetMidWest, May 11, 2006 IP