1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way getting English writing feedback?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Michelle Michan, Aug 5, 2008.

1. chillingbreeze

chillingbreeze Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're English???:confused: It should be "your". I get crazy whenever I notice confused use of you're and your. Don't mind.

chillingbreeze, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  2. RobPinnacle

RobPinnacle Active Member

Best Answers:
    Michelle,

Have you considered finding someone that is a native American to read over your articles after you write them? There are people that you can find who would be more then happy to edit your work and show you your mistakes. Basically you would learn through trial and error. I find that is generally the best medicine. :) Good luck

RobPinnacle, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  3. Emily Cleaver

Emily Cleaver Peon

Best Answers:
    How embarrassing. :D Yes, that should have been your. Knew I shouldn't have stayed up so late!

Emily Cleaver, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  4. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your / you're is one of the more common mistakes among writers (even good ones). And it's / its is another.

You mean like a Cherokee or Sioux?

:)

marketjunction, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  5. oblivion19

oblivion19 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Michelle

First of all welcome to DP

Your vocabulary is really impressive.
    But you need to work on your grammatical skills and sentence structure.

oblivion19, Aug 15, 2008 IP
    Michelle Michan likes this.
  6. Michelle Michan

Michelle Michan Banned

Best Answers:
    I understand what Emily said despite she meant "your" instead of "you're" but I don't know if you are with me with the belief that we sometimes "write as we think."

This is how I have sometime written "I'm living" when I wanted to says "I'm leaving" but in my mind both verbs sound equal.

Yes, I thought of this, but at this moment I have not any American person to whom I could look at beyond this forum, not even Cherokee or Apache, unless I look into my friend's server to find the Apache that she says is installed there :D

Thanks for both the warm welcome and your observations. Sure I'm going to keep them in mind working with my English.

"I'm going" this is probably another slang form that Emily pointed at,

"I'm goint to" instead of "I'm gonna" as now it's better "I' want to" instead of "I wanna" if those forms are not associated with colloquial writing that sometimes a client may ask for :)

Michelle Michan, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  7. chillingbreeze

chillingbreeze Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It can be a typo but we never know. There are many who don't know the difference actually. Yes, it was a typo from Emily :)

I completely agree with you on belief "sometimes we write what we think."

But I didn't get this :confused:
    I mean both verbs may sound equal but we cannot WRITE/THINK wrong, we can TYPE wrong though.

As far as I think, "I'm going" is correct. "I'm gonna" looks unprofessional. Gonna, wanna etc. are net slangs or chatting language(lingo) IMO.

Just to add, your English is impressive enough. :) You simply need to improve upon sentence structure and grammar. (I found you formal in your writing style.)

See you around :)Nice to meet you.

chillingbreeze, Aug 15, 2008 IP
  8. Michelle Michan

Michelle Michan Banned

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your concepts chillingbreeze and nice to meet you too :)

Maybe I didn't explain myself with those verbs I know the are different, live (related to life) and leave (related to go out) so confusion certainly may occur typing wrong due to phonetics.

I should say that, as a way of pronounciation practice, I speak aloud while typing so if I'm saying "I living" when the sentence has to express that I'm going out, that could be somewhat embarrassing, LOL

About my first post let me tell you that I started the thread with my article writing style in mind, and adequating the following posts to reflect my progress after receiving all of your valuable feedback :)

Michelle Michan, Aug 16, 2008 IP
    chillingbreeze likes this.
  9. Emily Cleaver

Emily Cleaver Peon

Best Answers:
    I may have misunderstood what you meant there (you may know this), but living and leaving are pronounced differently - living is a short vowel sound, just "ih", but "leaving" is longer, an "eeee" sound.

I've just realsied I'm sitting saying "eee, ih, eeee, ih" again and again to myself. Good thing I'm alone...

Emily Cleaver, Aug 16, 2008 IP
  10. Michelle Michan

Michelle Michan Banned

Best Answers:
    Interesting comment Emily, not only because I know it can be little weird being talking alone, LOL, but also understanding that pronounciation do also matters.

Until reading your post, I used to pronounce "leeving" for both of those verbs in the belief that the context allow people undestand what I mean... and it may be, however my goal is learn English as if I would born and raise in an English speaking country :)

Michelle Michan, Aug 16, 2008 IP