1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do DMOZ editors list their own sites?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by slaydragon, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi, any DMOZ editors here? Do u guys list and approve your own sites?

slaydragon, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  2. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    Publicly no, in private yes. And i'm not a dmoz editor.

scubita, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  3. slaydragon

slaydragon Banned

Best Answers:
    and they wont get banned?

4. union_jakk

union_jakk Peon

Best Answers:
    To Apply to be a DMOZ editor you have to suggest a site and give a description, i would bet my car that lots of them suggest new sites that they have a connection too somewhere along the line.

union_jakk, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  5. slaydragon

slaydragon Banned

Best Answers:
    icic.. i visited that dmoz section and see there's actaully alot of dmoz editors that are also dpers

6. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    robjones, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  7. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    When I first became an editor, one of my 3 sample sites was my own business site, a real brick & mortar business, not a cyber business. The category I applied for was my own home town, which is where my site had to be placed.

There were exactly 4 sites there at the time, and when I was given editing permissions, I added those 3. There were no other submissions, so I hunted them down and ended up with 130 sites for the category.

On my application, I made sure to state that I was including my own site, and I also mentioned 2 forums that I was a co founder of, though I wasn't listing those and had no intention of listing them because they didn't belong in the category I had editing permissions in.

Later on, I found out that I could and should submit those to the categories they did belong in, and I did submit one of them, where it waited right along with the sites submitted there by the public. No special consideration was asked for and none was given. Eventually it was listed. I think it was something like 2 months later.

I did ask a senior editor about it, and she told me it would be in poor taste to ask any editor to review it, and it could lead to a strong warning, or even being removed as an editor. As she was a meta, and later an admin, I took her word for it.

So, yes, an editor can add his own site, just as he can add any other site that qualifies to be listed, as long as he treats it as impartially as any other site, and follows the guidelines for writing the description.

I'll add this. If the site doesn't belong in the Directory, in that particular category, or if the description doesn't follow the guidelines, there are many other editors who can and will spot it, delete it, move it, or correct the description. Other than metas, most editors will not know whether a site belongs to an editor or not, and if something isn't right about the site, it would just be corrected automatically.

Also, editors are required to list all sites they are afilliated with right on their dashboards, not doing so is cause for removal, though only meta editors have access to that information.

crowbar, Aug 14, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  8. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    editors lists their own web sites on their categories.

if you have competitive web site with the editors, your site will be deleted.

dmoz editors rejects this but this real.

trichnosis, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  9. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    I spent a good half minute searching for a commercial category where the editor has their own website listed. The first one I found was this:

http://www.dmoz.org/Business/Small_Business/Telecommuting/

By your assertion, all the websites listed here belong to the category editor. Can you provide evidence of that?

The last time I showed a counter-example to one of your assertions, you responded by giving me a red rep. The quality of that as a debating technique is obvious to all.

dharmarucci, Sep 2, 2008 IP
    robjones, jjwill and Alucard like this.
  10. Resident79

Resident79 Peon

Best Answers:
    is this what you believe or what you know?

Resident79, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  11. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Here, let me help you with your reality problem.

There is a permanent record of every edit every single editor makes. If you suspect an editor has done what you stated, that would be editor abuse and cause for his removal. All you have to do is to file an abuse form and the editor will be checked out.

However, not getting your particular site listed, is not editor abuse. In fact it could very well be good editing.

You have no "right" to be listed. The Directory clearly states that not all sites are needed and you shouldn't take it personally if your site is one of them.

Also, I hope you know that making accusations will not get your site reviewed or listed, whether your accusations are true or untrue, but if the accusations are true, we want to know about it so the editor can be given the ole heave ho. :D

crowbar, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  12. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ha ha . you are so comic. i remember you . you were making stupid match on another thread. you are finding what you want.

this is not what i believe . this is real.

@cowbar: i have contacted the local editors about a SPAM web site 2 weeks before. i have told them about the web site which have mentioned on other thread.

their answer was below:

note about of that web site: %90 of that web site is created with automatic queries to google

here is what i understand from this

* this guy is the one of shareholder for this spam web site. this means that guy is making spam web sites and getting links from dmoz.
    * this guy is really stupid. he does not know what he does.

and the last bomb that , this answer is given by a META EDITOR, not a normal editor. i can think this as the answer of official answer of dmoz.

do you have any answer for my example ? i'm sure you have not.

trichnosis, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is good that you have found some truth out there, but remember that truth is subjective in many cases, and without something to back it up, well, there is not much one can do to make others believe in you, or what you say.

To help knock down your theory, its just a matter of searching in DMOZ. If what you say is true, then the ONLY sites listed would be owned by Editors. That is simply NOT the case. Many sites owned by many people other then editors are listed. When I listed my own site, I also listed several that were not mine. Yes, I did remove some competing sites, but none of them were online anymore, or so severely outdated they did not belong any longer.

So mind explaining the category I edited in? There is simply no way I was a member (or even owner) of the 30+ sites listed there...

Qryztufre, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  14. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL !

Weird, but Qryztufre gave a good answer. Think about.

budalata, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  15. Final Expense Leads

Final Expense Leads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have an answer for your example - your story is unbelievable.

The chances that you received that poorly structured, near-illiterate answer from any editor of DMOZ, much less a META editor, are approaching zero.

I can easily think of a more likely source for it. And you "can think this as the answer of official answer of" me - you aren't telling the truth.

Dennis

Final Expense Leads, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  16. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:

I think DMOZ doesn't allow such actions.

justinlorder, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  17. c0ldMax

c0ldMax Banned

Best Answers:
    Would you yourself do it? Dmoz editors are normal people...

c0ldMax, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  18. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ;) LOL. Normal? You obviously hang around with a different batch than the ones I know.

robjones, Sep 7, 2008 IP
    Crazy_Zap likes this.
  19. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    It does happen, just because it doesn't happen to every site in every category doesn't mean it never happens.

Unfortunately it's extremely easy to be a bad editor, they can track everything you do within dmoz but they can only go by what they know - and they have no way of knowing which sites an editor owns unless the editor tells them.

If the editor doesn't tell then they will never know. There is no way to check!

If an editor wants to delete a site all the have to do is say the server was down when they checked it, put it in unreviewed then "forget" to check it again.

If a competitor tries to add a site the editor can simply ignore it - in fact an editor never has to add any sites at all they can just log in every few months and rewrite one description and that's it.

Those are just a few of the hundreds of simple ways that an editor can cheat and never get caught.

winifred gray, Sep 7, 2008 IP
  20. Final Expense Leads

Final Expense Leads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is erroneous winifred. There are several reasonably reliable ways to deduce whether an editor or applicant has established ties to websites. None of them are perfect by themselves of course, yet a very little time with two or more tools can tell the tale.

In one of my former professional lives I was involved with internet security - most large companies are open books to people with patience and an inquiring mind; I ask you to consider that DMOZ might evaluate editorial misconduct in a variety of electronic ways that are MUCH easier to implement than building and maintaining a directory the size of the ODP.

Please correct me if I you believe I am wrong, opinions make horseraces :)

Fair warning though, I might resurrect my skillz to find a few facts with which to prove my point. That would be unfortunate 'cause I promised to use my powers only for good :)

Dennis
    -------
    And yes, I am a (very, very junior) DMOZ editor.

No, I haven't submitted my own sites.
    Yes it is possible to but they aren't in my category, and, frankly they don't meet the necessary standards.
    No I don't / won't / and prefer not to be asked to accept money for listing sites.
    Yes I am bored by the constant drone of people who can't read instructions complaining about the ODP.
    No I don't reject sites because they have multiple submissions.
    Yes I do respond to emails sent to me through DMOZ.
    No I don't reject sites because of poor grammar or minor imperfections in spelling.
    Yes I do reject sites because they are incomplete, don't function, or offer absolutely nothing original to the researcher.
    No I don't think I'm infallible, I only claim to view submissions to my category as an amateur or "lover of, devoted friend, devotee" of my category, and, I do my best to follow the DMOZ guidelines.
    Yes I do send non-DMOZ-identifiable personal emails inquiring about issues with website submissions that, if improved, might be listed.
    No I won't wait forever to see if those websites ARE improved, there are too many interesting websites to find and list.
    Yes there are a LOT of DMOZ volunteers working very hard to improve the ODP; consider that many editors have reviewed and added over 30,000 (thirty thousand) websites in less than ten years of the ODP's existence.​

I could go on...

Final Expense Leads, Sep 8, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.