1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Host Gator opinions

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by conjamuk, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    I have never hosted a site with Hostgator because I have received negative reviews saying the customer service is poor and despite of Cpanel, the servers are setup in a way that cause limitations and annoyances in standard features that other Cpanel-based hosting providers offer with no hassel.

As I said, that is the feedback I have received and why I haven't taken any promo coming from Hostgator, including hosting for a penny first month, that sounds great.

Trusted Writer, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  2. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They are okay, but not great. Depends on what you need. I use a number of different hosts.

There are times when Hostgator will bog down and your sites will take a while to load. You MUST create error pages or you'll be doing free advertising for them. The IP Address you get will also redirect automatically to advertisements before your DNS resolves.

Tech support is fair. They use CPanel X or X3

I wouldn't host anything really important with them, but I do use them on some sites.

Most people have no idea what truly good hosting is, because they have never experienced it. And in the 10 bucks a month and under category you won't find it.

internetmarketingiq, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  3. antpeks

antpeks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i use several different hosting company, also seven dedicated servers.

and i have to say for what you pay Hostgatir is not a bad hosting provider. I personally had some issue's with them in amount of load created ( thats why we have now several dedicated servers) but i still use HG for ten domains.

It's use of Cpanel is a standard maybe but they use it, and i only expierenced one time some downtime, is was solved in 15 minutes.

like people say, you get what you pay for, and considering that they are top of the bill.

Peter

antpeks, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  4. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    They are my second favorite option behind my own web hosting company. ;)

PHPGator, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  5. rouseout

rouseout Peon

Best Answers:
    hostgator is ok for regular sites but to me they are overselling which eventually causes problems down the line when i choose a host i still like to keep searching as they are always improvements that can be made.

rouseout, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  6. fromtoday

fromtoday Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently signed up with hostgator - and had to change the type of account, I had problems and they phoned me (I'm in Australia)... I thought that was great service + everything's working fine.

fromtoday, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  7. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From my experience, Hostgator is backed by advertising, not by quality at all.

Cpanel is a plus, but some of my clients are hosted there and hosting support is completely unaware that their servers are wrongly configured delivering junk to their client such as files named core.#### which are at a time a waste of disk space.

You can also check the limitations looking into your .htaccess file adding a line at the top no matter if you delete the file and upload a new one.

If I have to recommend you a host, I will choose those in my signature, I have sites hosted there for 3 years now and not a single issue with them. (That of the 50% OFF also applies to shared hosting)

Mystique, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  8. dlm

dlm Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been with HostGator for over a year now with no complaints. Reasonable prices, good performance/uptime and solid customer support. For basic webhosting packages, I'd definitely recommend them.

dlm, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  9. Mirage

Mirage Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am very happy with HostGator. I have several small sites running off of one account and their setup handles it flawlessly. Knowledgeable, courteous tech support people available around the clock by phone or chat. No problems with up or down time.

I am a computer professional and have asked them some very involved questions regarding how or if I could do certain things with my account. Their people have always stayed with me with respect to what I was asking and were of the rare breed that would even tell me they did not know instead of trying to fake their way through.

On the times they did not know they had me enter a ticket and I usually had an answer with a day from some other person on the staff.

I am VERY pleased with them. The bang for the buck is quite good.

Mirage, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  10. lipskin

lipskin Peon

Best Answers:
    I use them to host a dozen or so small sites. You get what you pay for. I've never had any major problems, but for high-traffic sites I'd look elsewhere.

lipskin, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  11. luxinterior

luxinterior Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems to be unanimous :D Hostgator Rock!

Lux

luxinterior, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  12. lipskin

lipskin Peon

Best Answers:
    So do the Cramps!

lipskin, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  13. zackry

zackry Banned

Best Answers:
    Yea, HostGator is amazing..

Good uptime, good support. etc!

zackry, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  14. mooseweb

mooseweb Banned

Best Answers:
    HostGator is good for small businesses with little to no traffic, the first time I hit 1,000 users online at once I got the site taken offline for using 19% server resources for two minutes. I hate them currently, and they are so bad they have actually made me switch to self hosting.

mooseweb, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  15. lipskin

lipskin Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had much more traffic than that without any problems on shared hosting, but I think it depends on which server you're on. Unfortunately, with hosts overselling, you never know what kind of service you're going to get.

lipskin, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  16. SVK.netbuild

SVK.netbuild Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to start your business you can go for hostgator, hope there will not be any problem at all.

SVK.netbuild, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  17. boddog

boddog Peon

Best Answers:
    Hostgator is the best
    I love them bec they allow adult sites :)

Great amount of space, bandwidth and service is top notch
    I love that chat service feature,it's fast and connivence.

boddog, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  18. MarcL

MarcL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    HostGator is good, they are just picky on what sites you can host with them. For example I cant host my Image Hosting site with them.

MarcL, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  19. djfunk

djfunk Peon

Best Answers:
    Been using HG for about 8 months now and couldn't be happier.

djfunk, Aug 12, 2008 IP
  20. JoseArmando

JoseArmando Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm using hostgator for the last few days and so far I've been really impressed with the service. Sure some things can go wrong.. The AwStats aren't working, and if I try to install PHPList it returns a bunch of errors when I try to run it but aside from these two relatively small problems I like what I've seen so far.

JoseArmando, Aug 12, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.