1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submitted to wrong category?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Constellation, May 8, 2006.

I submitted our site earlier this year. I think I suggested my site in handmade jewelry but I think it should have been submitted to gifts. kitcatjewelry.com Should I suggest it to the gift category?

Constellation, May 8, 2006 IP
  2. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    It's okay to suggest your site twice, so go ahead and resuggest to what you think is the most appropriate category. :)

Enigma, May 8, 2006 IP
  3. Constellation

Constellation Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you. I was afraid it would get lost or looked at as spam. Thanks.

4. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    It takes more than a couple of submissions of the same site to be viewed as spam. Also, it is unlikely to get lost even if you submit to the wrong category. That happens all the time and the editor reviewing it will just move it to the appropriate category. :)

jjwill, May 8, 2006 IP
  5. Constellation

Constellation Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for your insight. One of the things that I am concerned about is that our site is a template. We purchased the template and had it custom designed for us by a web service company along with a shopping cart. However, if someone does a “whois” search it comes up with the web service company that we hired for the site rather than us.

6. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    That will not have any negative effect on reviewal of your website.

crossman, May 8, 2006 IP
  7. Constellation

Constellation Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you crossman, I did not know the intricacies of submitting a site to search engines and directories prior to our recent adventure in the online world. Given the spam, mirrors, gateways, doorways etc it seems one has to be careful about any submission if you want to be taken as legitimate.

8. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think that would be a problem unless it looks like it doesn't provide any unique content. I don't edit in that cat but I would bet that it is filled with abuse from spammers and has many in unreview. So I would just submit it and forget it. Remember, a dmoz listing can help a little but there are many other venues than can help market your site. Actually, many that are better. :)

jjwill, May 8, 2006 IP
  9. Constellation

Constellation Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for this insight. For me it was hard enough just to learn how to photograph the products much less to learn how to put the site to the public.

10. Constellation

Constellation Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I took the plunge and suggested our site here, http://dmoz.org/Shopping/General_Merchandise/K/
    which I didn’t know was even there until I really started digging. I guess the suggest it and forget it is the best way to go from here. :)

Constellation, May 10, 2006 IP
  11. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Unfortunately, general_merchandise is knee deep in spam and affiliate sites which eat up a lot of the editor's time. :(

jjwill, May 10, 2006 IP