1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Random House pulls novel on Islam, fears violence

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by browntwn, Aug 8, 2008.

Random House pulls novel on Islam, fears violence

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Publisher Random House has pulled a novel about the Prophet Mohammed's child bride, fearing it could "incite acts of violence."

"The Jewel of Medina," a debut novel by journalist Sherry Jones, 46, was due to be published on August 12 by Random House, a unit of Bertelsmann AG, and an eight-city publicity tour had been scheduled, Jones told Reuters on Thursday.

The novel traces the life of A'isha from her engagement to Mohammed, when she was six, until the prophet's death. Jones said that she was shocked to learn in May, that publication would be postponed indefinitely.

"I have deliberately and consciously written respectfully about Islam and Mohammed ... I envisioned that my book would be a bridge-builder," said Jones.

Random House deputy publisher Thomas Perry said in a statement the company received "cautionary advice not only that the publication of this book might be offensive to some in the Muslim community, but also that it could incite acts of violence by a small, radical segment."

"In this instance we decided, after much deliberation, to postpone publication for the safety of the author, employees of Random House, booksellers and anyone else who would be involved in distribution and sale of the novel," Perry said.

Jones, who has just completed a sequel to the novel examining her heroine's later life, is free to sell her book to other publishers, Perry said.

The decision has sparked controversy on Internet blogs and in academic circles. Some compared the controversy to previous cases where portrayals of Islam were met with violence.

Protests and riots erupted in many Muslim countries in 2006 when cartoons, one showing the Prophet Mohammed wearing a turban resembling a bomb, appeared in a Danish newspaper. At least 50 people were killed and Danish embassies attacked.

British author Salman Rushdie's 1988 book "The Satanic Verses" was met with riots across the Muslim world. Rushdie was forced into hiding for several years after Iran's then supreme religious leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, proclaimed a death edict, or fatwa, against him.

Jones, who has never visited the Middle East, spent several years studying Arab history and said the novel was a synthesis of all she had learned.

"They did have a great love story," Jones said of Mohammed and A'isha, who is often referred to as Mohammed's favorite wife. "He died with his head on her breast." source

A sad state when publishers refuse to publish books for fear of religious violence. Hopefully some publisher will some moral fiber will publish the book.

browntwn, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  2. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Every concession made to islam is done through fear of violence.

Like when liveleak pulled fitna from their servers, Mulsims had the cheek to congratulate liveleak on their tolerance and respect when liveleak made it very clear the only reason they pulled it was because muslims threatened to kill them and their families.

This is what islam does. Any criticism is instantly countered with threats of violence.

stOx, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  3. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    They could convert it into an ebook, and sell it online. They could advertise it as, "The book that was banned before it was even published" or "The book they were afraid to publish" etc. They could take Paypal payments with an anonymous gmail email, identity protected domain, and a good secure server to withstand DDOS attacks.

Rebecca, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  4. contentedge

contentedge Active Member

Best Answers:
    You stole the words from my mouth. But be prepared to face a number of replies like 'you don't know Islam', 'you are biased', 'don't spread racist hatred here', etc.

contentedge, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  5. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The reality is clear to anyone who has their eyes open.

browntwn, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  6. gauharjk

gauharjk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LMAO! Should I be proud or what? Why do people have to write vile stuff about other people's religion? It is not something I would do.

Would you guys say the same thing if someone said "Moses never split the Red sea with a shaft" or "Jesus Christ married Mary Magdalene".. You'd all hate me if I said such vile stuff.

One thing I have learned in India, where there are so many religions, and people are so passionate about their religions, all living together... that "talking about other people's religion is a BAD idea". I am sure ContentEdge would agree with me on this one...

gauharjk, Aug 9, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  7. contentedge

Best Answers:
    If someone does something horrible and says he did that for his religion, we all have the right to lynch that moron. It doesn't matter which religion he belongs to. One pattern I've seen so far is - whenever someone accuses radical Muslims of extremism, even some moderate Muslims take it upon themselves and defend the action of the accused. I wonder why?

Gauharjak, I do agree with you on one thing. It's bad and most importantly, NOT SAFE to talk about religion, caste, or culture in India. A lot of Indians are impulsive and emotional.

contentedge, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  8. Lemon116

Lemon116 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Whether he does it for the sake of Judaism, Christianity or Islam it doesnt matter.
    He is still a moron and should be lynched.

Yes, Ive seen it as well and it does not make no sense at all :confused:

Ill be glad to hear an explanation for this nonsense. :)

Lemon116, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  9. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This turned to a shameless marketing tactic.
    You write a bad novel and if you attack Islam on it you guarantee to take part on the media.
    I am bored of it.No need to talk about it.

zangief, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  10. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    Another publisher will most likely pick it up.

webwork, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  11. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    One with bulletproof windows and a bomb-proof building hopefully.

Lexiseek, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  12. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly what I was thinking.

cormac, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  13. contentedge

Best Answers:
    First of all, you haven't read the novel yet. So, you can't say it's a 'bad novel' or not. Second of all, the author clearly says that the novel is about the love story between Muhammad and Aisha. She even goes on to say that she has dealt with it carefully as to not offend Muslims. Now, how in the hell did you come to the conclusion that she has "attacked Islam" in her novel????

contentedge, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  14. browntwn

Best Answers:
    1. It has nothing to do with talking about someone else's religion. Muslims don't even like it if another Muslims writes something they deem offensive to Islam.

2. You can say whatever you want about Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, I would not try to stop you. Nor would it bother me in the least.

3. You are supporting the publisher caving to fear and defending it because you say the book is vile. You don't know a thing about the book. You are just falling in line blindly. Please tell everyone what is so vile about this book that makes you think it should not be published?

4. Muslims have a fear of people examining their religion, of talking about their religion, of making jokes about their religion. It is the opposite of being proud of their religion, they seem to live in fear of it being exposed. One would think that the answer to a book they don't agree with would simply be more books or more speech. But not Muslims, they seem to want to shut other people up - by threats of violence if necessary.

Some Muslims think that they have a monopoly on talking about Islam. They don't.

browntwn, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  15. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Something else you apparently wouldn't do is criticise those who threaten to kill people for saying something they disagree with. Someones "religion" isn't protected from criticism.

How did we get to a point where those threatening violence are seen as the victims and those writing books are the oppressors? When did this happen?

stOx, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  16. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Random House is a private company and can do whatever they want.
    muslems should not use violence. just boycott their product if you don't like them.
    author is looking for undue attention by exploiting the situation. money

pizzaman, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  17. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Typical, blame the author for being upset that her book was not published due to fears of Muslim violence. Money? Yeah, crazy that she has a monetary interest in her book and it upset it was not published.

browntwn, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  18. DharmaSeo

DharmaSeo Peon

Best Answers:
    i dont think anyone should fear violence, this is very sad that nowadays there are EXTREMIST GROUPS that just threaten violence instead of talking..

these groups that create FEAR should goto jail

DharmaSeo, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  19. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    she chose the topic and she wrote the book, let her go and sell it.
    i agree totally and i even include non EXTREMIST GROUPS into it. we should all unite against violence people should learn to use other means to express their disapproval.

pizzaman, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  20. browntwn

Best Answers:
    That is all she is doing, so why did you say, "author is looking for undue attention by exploiting the situation"?

She is trying to get her book published. What is wrong with talking about how fear of Muslim violence made her first publisher back down?

I guess you think she should try to sell her book with out speaking. Should she just sit silently at home and hope it sells?

Your views are transparent.

browntwn, Aug 9, 2008 IP