1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My site listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by joshuaphotographer, May 5, 2006.

1. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    Changing the subject from red reps to something more productive... ;)

No one has mentioned that people who submit their sites to the directory are also welcome to apply to become volunteer DMOZ editors.

Considering that one good turn deserves another, perhaps a favorable submission experience will inspire you to become a volunteer editor and return the favor to other submitters. :)

orlady, May 7, 2006 IP
  2. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    How to apply ?

buratssky, May 8, 2006 IP
    Enigma likes this.
  3. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    For best results, find a small noncommercial category, under 100 listings, that you feel you can find many more quality sites for. Click on "become an editor" at the top of the page or "volunteer to edit this category" at the bottom. Fill out the application completely - after reading the editing guidelines (make a copy of the application) and submit it. Make sure you reply to the confirmation email. Applications take anywhere from a few days to a couple of months to process. If your application has not been accepted or declined within 14 days, you are welcome to ask about its current status at resouce-zone.

I would pick a category that has about 20 sites that you think you could easily increase to 50 sites. One that deals with a hobby, your town, or something you want to learn more about.

Read the category description and the one of the parent category - so you can be more sure about what the category is supposed to contain.

lmocr, May 8, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  4. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you lmocr. I am resident of this and not much listings. Is this a good one to start? Are you the one who takes care of the application? Thank you for the response. http://dmoz.org/Regional/Oceania/Palau/

sidjf likes this.
  5. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not lmocr, but if you are a resident, it appears to be a great place for you to start. It's not too large for a newbie, and as a local you will have access to finding appropriate listings that other editors would not: such as newspapers, billboards, delivery trucks, etc. :) However, there will be few if any submissions to this category, so make sure you do know enough sites to add. Otherwise, you won't have enough to do.

dogbows, May 8, 2006 IP
  6. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Only metas review applications and I'm not one :)

I'm not very familiar with Oceania - but from what I can see, it might be a good starting place. It looks like there are no cities listed for that group of islands - if there were, you would want to chose one of those instead.

lmocr, May 8, 2006 IP
  7. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you editor dogbows and lmocr. Our island is small but beautiful. there are quite some not listed in your directory. http://www.palau.edu/ Community College and some environment organization http://www.palau-pcs.org/. Or maybe I give you the sites and could you list it ?

Thanks for reply.

8. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    If you intend on applying for editor then you might want to use those sites (and find one more site for the category) to list on your editor application. [added] If you are accepted as editor, then you can add those sites yourself. [/added]

Enigma, May 8, 2006 IP
  9. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Buratssky, I am no longer an editor. If you prefer not to be an editor, you can click on the suggest URL at the top of that category and suggest the sites. Someone who has editing rights there will eventually review them. Anyone can use the suggest URL link to suggest sites. But only a local would give a small category like this one the care it deserves. I think you should apply. :D

dogbows, May 8, 2006 IP
  10. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    I am sorry I thought you an editor still. Maybe its better to just submit all the business, schools, government and organization. I read most of the post here says very difficult to be an editor but I will try. I made a description for 1 of my sample if this is good tell me.
    http://www.palau-pcs.org/
    Non profit environment organization with initial purpose is conserving nature and habitats.

Thank you dogbows.

11. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a good start. You should also describe briefly what's on the site. Something like: Includes details and photos of conservation areas ...and so on to describe the site itself.

compostannie, May 8, 2006 IP
  12. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Buratssky, I prefer not to comment on your sample. You really need to prove your editing skills on your own. Otherwise, you might be lost once accepted. However, I do reinterate my previous statement. "I think you should apply." You will never know until you do. Some would have you believe the application process is harder than it actually is, so please give it a try. Save a copy of the application so you can compare it to any possible comments you might receive if you are not accepted the first time. Many, many good editors applied more than once before being accepted. Just give it a try. ;)

dogbows, May 8, 2006 IP
  13. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    For regional listings, you want to include what the site is about (which you did) and what you will find on the site itself.
    Be sure to read the quidelines 2 or 3 times. That really helped me. You can also look at other regional listings to get feel for it.

You should definately apply and good luck. :)

jjwill, May 8, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  14. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    When I first joined this forum and read the posts, I also thought the same, but you can not always believe what you read in forums.

In my personal opinion from my experience it isn't

Trying never hurts, and all you have to do is read + understand the instructions.

Even if someone do fail, it's not like they can't try again.

crossman, May 8, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  15. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with crossman. For some people they get accepted on their first try. I was accepted within a few hours of sending in my application. For others it'll take more than one try. And they probably aren't expecting perfect descriptions and titles on your application, because if you can grasp titling and describing per category guidelines then you can improve on those things. Find one more site that will fit in the category you want to apply to and send in your application, and help build up that category. :)

Enigma, May 8, 2006 IP
  16. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Grammar is an important factor in describing sites. ;) Quick rule on describing sites as well - 1 sentence to say what the site is about. 1 sentence to say what is actually on the site. Example -

Palau Conservation Society

Non-profit making environmental organisation dedicated to the protection of biodiversity, natural resources and the local communities that use those resources. Includes information about the organisation and island, programs, partners, membership, merchandise, and more resources.

You can see that I have used text drawn direct from the site (without first person words such as we and our) and menu headings to construct the two sentences. Really easy, you can't really go wrong. Great site by the way! :)

brizzie, May 8, 2006 IP
  17. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi DMOZ Editors, I apply as you said and gave it a shot if I get approve that is a lucky thing if not that is also ok. At least I tried. Thank you to all your help.

18. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    Good luck buratssky. Let us know the outcome. :)

Enigma, May 8, 2006 IP
  19. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, I will all let you know. I use another username kokorukuku because Kokor is capital of Palau. So when will I know the result. Thank you again.:)

20. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    You won't know until a Meta reviews your application. You might hear something a few hours from now or months from now. If you haven't heard anything within 14 days, then go to www.resource-zone.com and ask for an application status update. Give the exact day you applied. Read the forum guidelines before posting to see all the information you'll need to give them before you request an update. You can request one every 14 days.

Enigma, May 8, 2006 IP