1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is IE the Only Browser that Doesn't Own you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Michelle Michan, Aug 8, 2008.

After using for long time IE I decided to switch to FireFox to find that FF is more limiting that IE in the way that it tries to own you since you can't disable the autocomplete in the address bar and other bunch of features that you can't change or disable like you used to do with Internet Explorer.

Oh well, I switched to Netscape that is (or was) a Mozilla browser and certainly, with Netscape it was possible change features that Firefox controls to force you to surf the way they want.

However, after a system crash I found that Netscape now redirects to AOL and I simply couldn't find the link to download Netscape, hence I installed Opera and found just the same.

While Opera has many features that can be customized, there several of those that you can control with IE that Opera has not, besides it seems it can't handle many CSS and other features in websites.

Back to install Firefox and, of course, the newer, the more restrictive and controlling your surfing behaviour "caring of you"... as far as I know I'm not asking it to care for me.

Is there a way to fix all those annonyances in Firefox, specially that of the address bar auto-completing and forcing me to visit FF-related websites?

Or is IE the only browser that doesn't control you, despite it spies you?

Michelle Michan, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  2. GUESTID

GUESTID Peon

Best Answers:
    I had switched to Opera and then FireFox.
    Now I am back to Internet Explorer and I dont like the others now.

GUESTID, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  3. kingofsanda

kingofsanda Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure if there is a way to fix those issues in firefox but I still think firefox
    is better that IE that's just my personal experience.

kingofsanda, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  4. Affilit

Affilit Peon

Best Answers:
    In the end they all switch back to Internet Explorer

Affilit, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  5. Bucaneiro

Bucaneiro Peon

Best Answers:
    http://addons.mozilla.org/

C'mon, just download the modification you want done. Firefox doesn't take the freedom out of you in any way.

Bucaneiro, Aug 8, 2008 IP
    Michelle Michan likes this.
  6. mytvtalk

mytvtalk Active Member

Best Answers:
    are you kidding me? internet explorer is the worst browser out of the 3. i use both opera and firefox.

mytvtalk, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  7. Michelle Michan

Michelle Michan Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, looks like the way to go.

Firefox takes ages before loading after your start the application and can't handle the cosmetic and special effects that IE is capable to handle, including coloring scrollbars.

People may say these are non-browser compliant features, but if we are talking about aesthetic, most graphics, arts and visual arts websites are designed with IE in mind, and if I'm using this is because of the features that FF claimed ownership, but they already existed in an old IE shell from 1999 called Web Surface.

I missed Web Surface and being that FF is a copy of it, I thought I could surf the web the way I used to do with Web Surface, but FF annoyances are driving me nuts :O

Download thingies for FF would probably make it slower than it is, and look like I have a laptop with over I GB memory and high-speed broadband connection.

8. buldozerceto

buldozerceto Active Member

Best Answers:
    IE is so buggy unstable and many viruses use it to steal your passwords. FF is far better than IE

buldozerceto, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  9. l33t1337

l33t1337 Peon

Best Answers:
    Firefox is the best, then safari after firefox

IE is the worst, thats where the viruses come from

l33t1337, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  10. Michelle Michan

Michelle Michan Banned

Best Answers:
    Say that Firefox is the best is say nothing at all if you don't explain why to understand <<< I'm blonde :O

And because I'm blonde I wanna know how can I fix that Firefox annoyance of the address bar auto-completing (I hate that) and also stopping it from showing the links to Firefox websites since I have not any interest in visiting them, thus I don't need bookmarks or reminders to these or any other sites.

11. renlok

renlok Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use google youll probably find the answer :)

And I personally think firefox is better than IE because you can get addons that do pretty much anything, also if IE didnt exists building websites would be so much eaiser. As you wouldnt have to deal with how badly IE deals with CSS

renlok, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  12. fake_lover01

fake_lover01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    FIREFOX rocks man

even u can configure it according to ur need it has very good speed also

fake_lover01, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  13. Michelle Michan

Michelle Michan Banned

Best Answers:
    That's my problem because, according o my needs, I don't need auto-complete in the address bar and I can't get rid of that, though I will take the advice and google it.

According to my needs, I don't need to get a list of Mozilla-related websites everytime I tried to type and URL, but I can't configure that either and get rid of such annoying thingy.

That's is why I belive Firefox is trying to own you and control the way you surf the wet, because there are other bunch of settings that you can change with IE, but doesn't appear in FF and you can't :O

14. Property_Control

Property_Control Peon

Best Answers:
    i LOVE firefox, it's addons are so much better than IE's.
    I've installed two addons onto IE and when i open it, there is no address bar, i've tried uninstalling the addons but no luck.
    Thank god i don't use IE but to test how crappy it shows my sites.

Property_Control, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  15. Michelle Michan

Michelle Michan Banned

Best Answers:
    But your love and dissertation don't resolve my problem either :mad:

16. Affilit

Affilit Peon

Best Answers:
    Michelle Michan its your choice

IE Just install and it has what you want.

Fire Fox Install and then you could spend the best part on next week looking for those addons

The choice is yours

PS: What did you choose?

Affilit, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  17. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IE doesn't own you, it owns your credit cards. It owns the files on your computer. It owns your password.

For a more secure browsing experience, just use FireFox. Also, firefox is highly customizable using addons.

Mark Henderson, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  18. ChristopherSunderland

ChristopherSunderland Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Internet Explorer crashes a large proportion of the time, and it manages to manifest errors that come from nowhere. I can fully understand Firefox, it's well built.. And I use Fire ftp a lot.

ChristopherSunderland, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  19. muncle

muncle Guest

Best Answers:
    firefox is the worst. In fact it's not even a browser, just a wannabe imitation that is forced upon clueless webmasters through mass brainwash and they fall for it like blind sheep. Almost religiously, and would keep telling you bullshit about some security or stability or some crap. Firefox is for loser fanboys who don't know any better and deserve to use that piece of crap.

muncle, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  20. ChristopherSunderland

ChristopherSunderland Peon

Best Answers:
    So you would continue using a browser that crashes almost once every time you use it, causing not only the downloads to stop (And if you have a large download it's bloody annoying) But also lose all the information like Tabs etc.

No-One actually uses Internet Explorer, although Microsoft force it upon you.

ChristopherSunderland, Aug 8, 2008 IP