1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is my IP blocked? Can't access my own blog from home!

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Zhu, Aug 7, 2008.

Hi there,

I have a mysterious problem here and I hope you guys can help.

On Monday night, I install a plugin on my blog (link in my signature below): the Askapache plugin.

Soon after, I was logged out of my dashboard and couldn't sign in again (got a 404 page). A few minutes later, I just couldn't access my blog anymore. Nor the dashboard page or just the blog would load.

I believed it was because of the plugin I had just install. A lot of people mentioned login problem etc. but it seemed to be fixed for them as soon as they remove the plugin.

I removed it completely, and was helped by a nice DP member. He confirmed the plugin was totally removed from my blog and he couldn't see any reason why I couldn't access my blog.

And now, two days later, I still haven't found and still can't access. This is the deal:

• People can see my blog just fine. I was able to login in the dashboard as usual from a friend's computer.
    • If I try to access my blog from home, I don't get any error page, the blog just doesn't load. Either the url, the login, the pages... can't see anything.
    • Same from my husband computer at home, so it's not a security software blocking me.
    • I can access my blog through a proxy and login, but some functions seem limited. However, this is probably due to the proxy. For example, if I try to upgrade a plugin, I get this error: The requested URL returned error: 500. It could be part of my problem though, I don't know.
    • My internet connection is fine, I don't have problem with any other websites.

This led me to believe my server is blocking my IP. But how, why and how to undo that?

Any idea? I'm lost here!

Thank you so much,

Zhu, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  2. jayshah

jayshah Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Can you traceroute to your server IP?

Windows (Start > Run > cmd):
    tracert 1.2.3.4
    Code (markup):
    and paste the output (PM if you don't want to post it here).

Also, can you ping it?

Thanks,

Jay

jayshah, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  3. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm about 90% certain that the server is blocking your IP. Do you have your own server, or is it shared? If it's shared, send a ticket to your host, and have them remove your IP. That really sounds like your IP is being blocked. If your husband's PC and your own PC are blocked, it's probably because you are both behind the same router, which has the same "outside" IP.

Hope this helps!

hostingspeak, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  4. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi!

It seems that Site5 is your host, and you are on a dedicated server with them. I'd give them a call about it, I'm sure they would be willing to login and take care of it for you. Since your IP is blocked, you probably won't be able to login to the server from home anyway.

Thanks!

hostingspeak, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  5. Zhu

Zhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your reply.

I have submitted a ticket to Site5 with my IP and I hope to hear from them soon.

Yes, we are both behind the same router, so it makes sense we are both blocked. I'm not sure whether I'm on a dedicated server or whether it's shared.

Jayshah, I'm trying right away and will PM you about it.

Zhu, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  6. Zhu

Zhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mystery solved!

My hosting company, Site5, had blocked my IP. When I contacted them about the problem, they unblocked me right away.

I'm still not sure why I was blocked but at least, I know have access to my blog!

Thank you all for your help!

Zhu, Aug 7, 2008 IP
    hostingspeak likes this.